1.    #1  
    Hi all,

My apologies if i should be posting this under Treo 180 category coz that is what i have.

I have managed to connect using IRComm and Wireless Modem using Windows 2000 but the connection is soooo slow that most of the time when i try to open a web page it times out after a while. I get partially completed jpgs and MSN Messenger hardly ever connects... in fact it only connected once and now i can't connect to msn at all...

I tried lowering and increasing the buffer size on WM but that didn't help and i dunno if it should help..

I also tried various baud rates both on WM and the connection properties, turned ip header compression on/off (though from what i understood hardware control and ip compression is not used on gprs connections i just wanted to give it a shot), entered the DNS numbers for my gsm provider... nothing helped increase the speed...

I started to believe that the IR connection is not healthy enough... something is wrong... maybe i can tweak it using modem init. strings or different MTU settings etc. but i don't want to go through that...

Earlier on the board i saw smn complaining about the lack of usb driver for windows and that he doesnt want to install Linux on his machine...

Well i suppose he wasn't aware of Knoppix. Knoppix is a Linux distribution that runs from the cd. The cd is bootable and u don't have to install a thing. Just set the bios option to boot from the cd and restart the pc and u will be running Linux in no time. Though the system has to access the cdrom when u want to run the included apps, it still is a great OS and the best opportunity to test run Linux.

Soooo...

I thought i could use Linux as well since it did not require a usb driver and my Knoppix kernel was greater than 2.4.x, it included Visor and Treo support.

I booted to Linux and followed Scott's instructions on the manual but i was not able to connect to Treo at all. I tried ALL the USB ports and each time i switched ports i ran the terminal soft included in KPPP to send an AT command and check if i can receive an ok or if i can see the lights on WM blink....

nothing happens...

I am not even a newbie when it comes to Linux, i hardly know anything at all but i can be considered as an above average pc user.

Now if anyone could guide me as to how i can get KPPP to communicate with WM, i would very much appreciate it.

To Scott: I don't care if your intention when developing WM was to only serve your self, i believe what you have done is great for Treo owners. Thank you.

I would like to say a few words about the price which happens to be an issue even among US native users.

I am from Istanbul/Turkey and per capita income (income per person) here is about 3000 US $. That is not a monthly value... It is per capita / year.

Now i would very much like to purchase your software but the price is an arm and a leg for me. I am not saying that you are the only developer who is asking for this price, this is general practice in the software industry and i believe it is a shame. People in US can shell out 40 bucks with their 25000 US$ avg. per capita income but me or smn who works in Russia for 50$ a month won't be able to buy it.

I believe the prices should not be fixed even if it is a globalising world because people are not making the same money everywhere.

I am sorry if i bored you with my comments, i just wanted to let it out. I know this ain't a political talk board but maybe you can find a way of helping us benefit from your software. You can maybe set a lower price and send the software on floppies by snail mail to make sure u don't send them within US. Just my five cents.

Again thank you for making your software available to other users and not keeping it to yourself
  2.    #2  
    anyone?
    Originally posted by TreoMreo
    I would like to say a few words about the price which happens to be an issue even among US native users.

I am from Istanbul/Turkey and per capita income (income per person) here is about 3000 US $. That is not a monthly value... It is per capita / year.

Now i would very much like to purchase your software but the price is an arm and a leg for me. I am not saying that you are the only developer who is asking for this price, this is general practice in the software industry and i believe it is a shame. People in US can shell out 40 bucks with their 25000 US$ avg. per capita income but me or smn who works in Russia for 50$ a month won't be able to buy it.

I believe the prices should not be fixed even if it is a globalising world because people are not making the same money everywhere.

I am sorry if i bored you with my comments, i just wanted to let it out. I know this ain't a political talk board but maybe you can find a way of helping us benefit from your software. You can maybe set a lower price and send the software on floppies by snail mail to make sure u don't send them within US. Just my five cents.

Again thank you for making your software available to other users and not keeping it to yourself
    Nothing against you, but how much did you pay for your Treo? How much do you pay per month for cellular service? How much did your laptop cost? I suspect that the average person in your country and other countries doesn't have a Treo, a cell phone, and a laptop.

As I've said before, if you don't like what I'm charging, please look for another product like it.
    Owned

BTW sgruby, but I don't know why you even respond to the twice-weekly thread on here about someone trying to get wireless modem to work. Although it's good that you do, how does it not drive you bonkers with the 50 millions questions that have all been answered a thousand times over?

I can see why you stopped offering the product at one time, due to support issues.

You should somehow trademark RTFM.
  5.    #5  
    I just wanted to draw attention to some of the FACTS.

The economical figures can be researched over the net and you can see for yourself.

As to how i got a Treo, it is a gift from my uncle (who is an IT engineer working in the US) who has used it a while and then gave it to me. My laptop is also a gift (his old laptop).

As for the GPRS service and how much i pay for it FYI:

Telsim Network - Turkey : 3.5$ /month for 33.6kbps unlimited gprs connection... a well determined low price...

And you are right about suspecting because to my knowledge there are maybe a hundred people at most who own a Treo here. I can't tell you about how much trouble i went thru trying to get the damn speaker fixed, or when buying a headset.

Nothing against you too, i just wanted the facts to be known.

I am not trying to put u to shame saying that your product is expensive. I am just saying that it is high-priced for "us" not "you".

Anyway it is Handspring company if anyone has to bear a shame since they don't provide the damn usb driver so everyone can connect like a breeze.

Now, if we are over the price issue... can i get a response for my question? (which is a bigger issue since the software would be useless if i can't have a decent connection)

Thanks.

p.s.: I tried searching the forum but couldn't find the answer.
    In the linked thread below, a Linux developer posted that he has developed a patch for the Visor/Treo USB driver to have it work with WM. You might want to contact the developer for any assistance that you need. He mentioned that it hasn't been accepted into a kernel release yet.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=32756
    Originally posted by Appleman
    Owned

BTW sgruby, but I don't know why you even respond to the twice-weekly thread on here about someone trying to get wireless modem to work. Although it's good that you do, how does it not drive you bonkers with the 50 millions questions that have all been answered a thousand times over?

I can see why you stopped offering the product at one time, due to support issues.

You should somehow trademark RTFM.
    I know that it would lower my blood pressure if I didn't respond, but I feel compelled to respond. I got yelled at in email this week because I don't provide a Windows USB driver.