1.    #1  
    Anyone managed to overclock treo successfully? It works fine with apps that I've installed but afterburner seems to crash the built in apps that use wireless connection, either phone, sms, email over gprs etc lock up. Can anyone suggest settings or alternative software and settings that can be used to boost the treo but without causing crashes? cheers bigruss
    Just installed FastCPU for megasoft2000.
    www.megasoft200.com
    Clock speed up 50 % from 33 to 48 and what a diff

Checked with "Benchmark" from Quartus www.quartus.net/products/

Have yet to have a problem, but if something occures during the 14 trial period I will report back
    based on the above, i also downloaded the trial of fastcpu from megasoft2000. so far it's very neat, and the difference is definitely noticeable.

i like the fact that you can choose which apps you overclock, rather than just 'everything'. i could be wrong, but it seems to me that will place less of a drain on the battery. their documentation seems to agree with that as well.

on interesting item- my settings only seem to want to go to 46, not 48

i will also report if i have any problems.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by sleibow
    Just installed FastCPU for megasoft2000.
    www.megasoft200.com
    Clock speed up 50 % from 33 to 48 and what a diff
    . . .
    Have yet to have a problem, but if something occures during the 14 trial period I will report back
    sleibow and aarons:

I am curious about what benefits you can derive from this speedup.
    (By the way, the url above is missing a zero and hence returns a "specified server can't be found.") I did find it at:

http://www.megasoft2000.com/palm_division/fastcpu.htm

Being a bit cautious after some bad experiences with other programs which required me to do a hard re-set and selective restore, I am wondering whether you or aaron can provide some examples of programs or functions on your Treo which you feel benefit from this speed boost. I don't want to pass up an improvement in my Treo, if I can get some concrete idea of what benefits would make the risk, however slight, worthwhile.

TIA for your replies!

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    I'm on the third day of the eval and I can say there is improvement on any application that is CPU intensive. As an example:

1. I use TealLock to encript all my databases after a certain period if inactivity. So far, FastCPU seems to speed this process up quite a bit (the de-encryption part).

2. I also use Mapopolis and the screen redraws seem to be speedier.

3. I use Datebook5 and the database accesses seem to be faster.

Of course, I could be imagining all of this but until I do a benchmark and prove otherwise, I am happy with the application.

It appears to be quite stable so far even though I have a few hacks installed.
    here's the BenchMark app Checked with "Benchmark" from Quartus www.quartus.net/products/

i've got large pricelist databases that i'm searching all the time and difference is very noticeable

it's just quite satistying to have EVERYTHING
    sorry about that...

50% faster. what's the harm? seems the author has written a great program with no side effects....so far
    Originally posted by NateS

sleibow and aarons:

I am curious about what benefits you can derive from this speedup.
    it just makes the applications load and run quicker. for instance, in splashphoto, pictures now seem to jump on the screen.

believe me nate, if i have the slightest problem with it, i would take it off without hesitation because it's not a 'make-or-break' benefit, but if it works without hurting anything, what the heck.

also, i no longer really fear hard resets as much mainly because i am fully backed up both at home and office. last time i had a hard reset (i was away, but had done a backup on my laptop also) i just re-synched and was back where i started in a couple of minutes...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    I bought FastCPU in December and have had no problems with it. If you go to the options menu select options then check "Extend Frequency Range" you can overclock to 66 Mhz. The only caveat on my treo is that if I overclock an application that uses sound (e.g. games) the sound will sound funny (fast and high pitched) Also, it will not work with any application that uses the modem. For me, 66 works great with my launcher, jpeg viewers, handzipper, quickoffice etc. anything with no sound and no modem.
    Does it interfere with taking phone calls?
    so far, no. and near as i can tell, the above comments on interfering with sounds also do not interfere with ringtones. i set my phone app to 46, and it still rings fine...
    The negs? Battery time may be shorter. My only concerns would be that over an extended period of time the extra heat created by speeding up the system could damage the circuit board, chips and other components, since they will be working at higher temperatures than intended. But since most of us replace our PDAS and communicators within two years anyway, maybe it's not an issue.

Kevin
    Originally posted by J. Kevin Wolfe
    The negs? Battery time may be shorter. My only concerns would be that over an extended period of time the extra heat created by speeding up the system could damage the circuit board, chips and other components, since they will be working at higher temperatures than intended. But since most of us replace our PDAS and communicators within two years anyway, maybe it's not an issue.

Kevin
    There is no over-heating with FastCPU that I can tell and I have been using it for a while. The battery time was also consistant with operation without FastCPU. No noticeable difference.
    Treo 270 and FASTCPU 3.0.

I for one have been using it for some time and have had no troubles. Currently running all programs on 46 which was reportedly my maximum but I could have pushed it to 66. Didn't want to take the risk. In Australia these units sell individuly for $1500 Aust so can't take the risk of stuffing it up.

I have noticed vast improvements in pictures and should I say it, games. One game I like is PDimension or Pocket Dimension. It is a dungeon and maze game and before FASTCPU it took a lot of time to show the maze as you walked through it but after FASTCPU it rocks. Maze is drawn fast and other screens come up that much faster. A great program with what would appear to be no side effects. At least none so far.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)