1.    #1  
    OK, I'm attempting to use the Wireless Modem on my Desktop (currently do not have a Laptop)

I did the install, and followed the instructions, but when I run Wireless Modem on the TREO, it says "Unable to Open LapTop Serial Port."

The only thing that was different in my install was when setting up the Modem on Win98 I wasn't offered a "Standard 56000 bps V90 " but a "Standard 56000 bps X2 Modem". I don't know if this makes a difference.

So, can anyone help me out, or is there just some fundamental difference between Desktop & Laptop Serial Ports?

Can anyone enlighten me - I'm currently paying 60 bucks a month for cable access and need to stop that, but have gone totaly celluar and disconnected the land line. The Treo maybe slow, but for what I need it would do the job.. help!

Thanks

Bill
    Originally posted by bkarch
    OK, I'm attempting to use the Wireless Modem on my Desktop (currently do not have a Laptop)

I did the install, and followed the instructions, but when I run Wireless Modem on the TREO, it says "Unable to Open LapTop Serial Port."

The only thing that was different in my install was when setting up the Modem on Win98 I wasn't offered a "Standard 56000 bps V90 " but a "Standard 56000 bps X2 Modem". I don't know if this makes a difference.

So, can anyone help me out, or is there just some fundamental difference between Desktop & Laptop Serial Ports?

Can anyone enlighten me - I'm currently paying 60 bucks a month for cable access and need to stop that, but have gone totaly celluar and disconnected the land line. The Treo maybe slow, but for what I need it would do the job.. help!

Thanks

Bill
    Are you sure you followed the instructions at: <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmode...ows98300serial>? I think that you might have configured your Treo incorrectly, i.e. chosen the wrong port. I wrote the instructions using a desktop machine, so I know that they work.

Also, if you use your Treo as your only Internet connection on the unlimied Vision plan, I suspect that Sprint is going to see the usage and have a fit. There is no confirmation of this, but I'd consider this absue of the system (I wouldn't consider it abuse if you used it once in awhile). This is just my opinion.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Scott,

Still looking for help here....will try this thread.......

With your Demo version and a Dell Laptop I successfully connected once with IR and once with Serial.

Today,.....while with a client (embarrassing)....I couldn't connect either way.

With IR
    get a #770 Error: "Connection rejected by remote computer"

With Serial
    get 698 Error: Hardware failure or something like that.

Have re-installed IRCOMM and the Demo version of WM but still no joy.....

Help please

Warren

Warren C.
    Originally posted by bkarch

Bill
    I don't have a 98 machine to try this out with right now, but from my experience in XP, you may have to go back and redefine the driver. Go to the Devices Listing, select the modem, update the driver for it, tell the system that you want to choose the driver instead of searching, then find the non-X2 driver.

See if that works.
    Originally posted by rhong

I don't have a 98 machine to try this out with right now, but from my experience in XP, you may have to go back and redefine the driver. Go to the Devices Listing, select the modem, update the driver for it, tell the system that you want to choose the driver instead of searching, then find the non-X2 driver.

See if that works.
    I've never seen the choice for an X2 driver, so you might be right. Try going down to a 33600 modem. This should be once of the choices. Once things start working, then you can try switching modems to higher speeds.
  6.    #6  
    You were correct, missed a setting on the TREO. Have it working now on the 33600 setting, as I post this. Speed isn't too back either

Thanks! $37.50 is a bargin compared to the 60 for cable. I've noted the "abuse" comment, I mostly need it to pay online bills and access secure accounts the treo can't seem to do, so should be ok.

Very Cool!

Bill

PS- the Standard 5600 X2 modem doesn't seem work
    Last edited by bkarch; 03/09/2003 at 06:01 PM.