Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I like the feature that looks up a contact when you enter initials (e.g., go to phone app, type JSJSJS, $and$ $dial$ $John$ $Smith$). $If$ $there$ $is$ $a$ $unique$ $match$, $the$ $phone$ $app$ $dials$ $the$ $contact$ $immediately$. $Usually$, $this$ $is$ $nice$, $but$ $sometimes$ $you$ $just$ $want$ $to$ $look$ $up$ $info$ $without$ $dialing$.

I'm wondering if there is something you can put in a contact's phone number so that it is available to look up, but it won't dial. I have several contacts that I want to keep in my Treo, but I don't want to accidentally dial when making a mistake typing someone's initials.

I tried adding punctuation (e.g., _ or %) before the phone number, but it ignores the punctuation and dials the number anyway.

Any ideas?
    When I type in the initials as you stated I go to the page where the person's entry is but it does not dial unless I initiate the dialing. I wonder if there is a setting somewhere that we have set differently? I would not like it to dial automatically and glad mine does not.
    Originally posted by dougef
    When I type in the initials as you stated I go to the page where the person's entry is but it does not dial unless I initiate the dialing. I wonder if there is a setting somewhere that we have set differently? I would not like it to dial automatically and glad mine does not.
    This is exactly right. The only time my phone dials is when the number is highlighted via touch, stylus or a depress of the jog wheel. There are no settings in which I am aware that set it any differently.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    After reading the responses and watching my use of the phone app, I've realized that the 'problem' occurs when, for example, I type JSJSJS[$space$]. $It$ $treats$ $the$ $space$ $as$ '$select$' $and$ $begins$ $to$ $dial$ $John$ $Smith$'$s$ $number$.

I originally thought that the best solution was to precede phone numbers with punctuation to break this functionality. A better solution is to retrain myself not to hit space.