1.    #1  
    My Treo died on me yesterday after heavy use since August. It was scratched up a little from the cheap paint, but never dropped. The problem was the display changed to all blue, requiring a hard reset. This happened three times in one week, and was not software related.

I took the phone to the Sprint Store in Studio City, CA. They were not a full-service center, so I had to take it to another store in Woodland Hills, CA. They did not have any refurb replacements in stock, and wanted to ship one to me. I told them I could not be without my phone. Guess that's a problem - you get so totally dependent on the calendar and email!!

They called around a few stores but could not find any others with refurbs. The manager was nice enough to give me a new phone out of their inventory. But it wouldn't come on. So they took out a second new phone. That one came on, and was programmed with my number. But the network would not recognize it. So they started over with a third new phone. This one finally worked.

It sure was a frustrating two hours while this all was happening, but the upsize is that I have a new phone and they let me keep the box, so I now have extra accessories, etc.

Thought I would share my experience, generally a positive one, as a counterpoint to some of the negative experiences I've heard on here.

Bill
    I had my phone replaced about a month ago and also had a very positive experience. I had to return my Treo because there was a problem with the battery. It would go from nearly fully charged and into the red zone after about 15mins of talking.

I took the phone into a SprintPCS store so that they could look at the problem. Once they acknowledged the problem, they had me fill out a simple form, and a "refurbrished" phone was shipped to me quickly. I was able to hold on to my old phone in the meantime. The "refurbrished" Treo looked new to me and works perfectly.

I called *2 to make the switch, and returned my old phone in their prepaid UPS shipping bag. Pretty simple.

I've had similar experiences w/ SprintPCS when it came to exchanging other cellphones in the past. They're pretty good about replacing their phones and shipping out a replacement phone to you.
    Havent had to trade my treo in yet, But I busted my last phone twice and they just replaced it each time. I hope it is as simple with this phone. Hopefully thats what I pay $4 a month for!

Jeff
    Originally posted by bhodgins
    Thought I would share my experience, generally a positive one, as a counterpoint to some of the negative experiences I've heard on here.

Bill
    I had a relatively good experience as well. My phone stopped charging - it turned out to be a broken pin. With the battery at 30% and soon to be a goner, I took it to a Sprint store. My only complaint was a 45 minute wait on the service line. By the time I came up, the tech had gone to lunch, so they sent me off with "return in an hour". An hour later they had a swap for me that didn't look like it was new or refurbished, but has worked flawlessly for me for close to three months now. Mind you, I'm very careful plugging it in when I charge/sync. But the whole experience made me feel much better about buying the phone at full price from Sprint, rather than going for an Amazon deal (which showed up the day after I bought it last October).
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    Originally posted by pcampbell

I had a relatively good experience as well. My phone stopped charging - it turned out to be a broken pin. With the battery at 30% and soon to be a goner, I took it to a Sprint store. My only complaint was a 45 minute wait on the service line. By the time I came up, the tech had gone to lunch, so they sent me off with "return in an hour". An hour later they had a swap for me that didn't look like it was new or refurbished, but has worked flawlessly for me for close to three months now. Mind you, I'm very careful plugging it in when I charge/sync. But the whole experience made me feel much better about buying the phone at full price from Sprint, rather than going for an Amazon deal (which showed up the day after I bought it last October).
    Did you have the $4 a month maintenance plan? Or did they just replace the phone because it was still under warranty from them?
    I've never had the $4 protection plan, but Sprint has always replaced my phones for free. I believe Sprint has a 1 year warranty on all of their phones. I'm not sure though. I also think it doesn't matter where you purchase the phone, you can always take it back to a SprintPCS store.

I think the $4 protection plan only comes in handy if you lose your phone.
    Originally posted by Carbon71

Did you have the $4 a month maintenance plan? Or did they just replace the phone because it was still under warranty from them?
    Sprint warrantees phones for a year. I believe that the maintenance plan is through a third party.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    The $4 a month is for third party insurance. If your phone is lost, stolen, or damaged (damage that's not covered under warranty-i.e. anything due to dropping, abusing, or just about anything physical), the insurance co. will send you a refurb. for a $35 deductible. You will have to wait 3-5 days biz. & send old phone back. The drawbacks to this are the $35 deductible, you don't get a replacement on the spot, and you cqn only get two replacement phones in a twelve month period. The latter is not a big deal on other phones but with the Treo this is not optimal. I am on my 5th or 6th Treo in six months! I know there are others out there who have had multiple replacements as well. After the two alloted replacements they cancel your insurance! In other words, use your insurance when all else fails, but try to get Sprint to warranty your phone at all costs.
    Originally posted by 003oret
    The $4 a month is for third party insurance. If your phone is lost, stolen, or damaged (damage that's not covered under warranty-i.e. anything due to dropping, abusing, or just about anything physical), the insurance co. will send you a refurb. for a $35 deductible. You will have to wait 3-5 days biz. & send old phone back. The drawbacks to this are the $35 deductible, you don't get a replacement on the spot, and you cqn only get two replacement phones in a twelve month period. The latter is not a big deal on other phones but with the Treo this is not optimal. I am on my 5th or 6th Treo in six months! I know there are others out there who have had multiple replacements as well. After the two alloted replacements they cancel your insurance! In other words, use your insurance when all else fails, but try to get Sprint to warranty your phone at all costs.
    Just to add one more detail. When the insurance company replaces your Treo, it comes with a brand-spankin-new 1 year warranty from Sprint. So all is not lost, per se, by going this route. I wasn't too sure how to go about getting a replacement Treo when mine acted up and I wanted a new one, and I wasn't convinced Sprint would be willing to swap me one considering my problem was intermittent self-erasing Treo, so to avoid the hassle of Sprint Technical Support, the Insurance was a great and swift way to deal with my problem. Reading this, it looks as though Sprint might have swapped me phones, but only after jumping through the rights hoops and spending time I didn't want to spend. Just my $0.02.
    I believe Sprint gives you a 6 month warranty, not 1 year when you receive a refurbished/new(if they don't have a refurb) phone as a warranty replacement. It's 6 months or your original warranty; whichever is longer. This comes in really handy if your original warranty period is almost over, as it extends it by another 6 months.
    Originally posted by Tribalenvy
    I believe Sprint gives you a 6 month warranty, not 1 year when you receive a refurbished/new(if they don't have a refurb) phone as a warranty replacement. It's 6 months or your original warranty; whichever is longer. This comes in really handy if your original warranty period is almost over, as it extends it by another 6 months.
    I was told in no uncertain terms by the Lock/Line representative that the replacement for my Treo will have a Sprint 1 year warranty. That's all I can repeat.
    I checked with SPCS cust care and a SPCS store regarding whether it was 1yr or 6mth warranty on replacements, and the word from them (and they would assumably be the ones replacing a defective phone under warranty, not Lock/Line) is a refurb ONLY receives a 6mth warranty - there are ways in the system of seeing immediately when a phone was sent to the warehouse from the factory, when it was first activated and when (if) it was refurbished. They stick pretty close to it, but if it was a NEW one that they sent you, it will definitely be a 1yr warranty, regardless of if you bought it yourself or received it from Lock/Line.