Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is WirelessModem CDC (Communications Device Compliant)? If so, the USB driver (usbser.sys) is already built-in and all needed is a modem INF file.
    Sanyo 4900 and 5300 is such a CDC device. So, I changed the device ID in Sanyo's inf to that of Treo (vid 082d, pid 0100) and tried to us it for Treo. Once I enabled WM, WinXP installs the driver but with a question mark and Treo hangs at "setup...".
    Both Sanyo and Treo use the same Qualcomm CDMA modem and Sanyo's INF file is a general one from Qualcomm with only small changes. It should work for Treo too with some simple modifications. Scott, is there anything special that makes your WM not CDC compatible?
    This strange, as WM works very well with IrComm, so it must very standard. Then why it won't work with a standard CDC driver?
    Sorry for the typos - I typed this post on my Treo. This Treo is way too cool. I must make the USB to work with WM.
    Last edited by Fixup; 03/08/2003 at 03:39 AM.
    Originally posted by Fixup
    Is WirelessModem CDC (Communications Device Compliant)? If so, the USB driver (usbser.sys) is already built-in and all needed is a modem INF file.
    Sanyo 4900 and 5300 is such a CDC device. So, I changed the device ID in Sanyo's inf to that of Treo (vid 028d, pid 0100) and tried to us it for Treo. Once I enabled WM, WinXP installs the driver but with a question mark and Treo hangs at "setup...".
    Both Sanyo and Treo use the same Qualcomm CDMA modem and Sanyo's INF file is a general one from Qualcomm with only small changes. It should work for Treo too with some simple modifications. Scott, is there anything special that makes your WM not CDC compatible?
    This strange, as WM works very well with IrComm, so it must very standard. Then why it won't work with a standard CDC driver?
    Sorry for the typos - I typed this post on my Treo. This Treo is way too cool. I must make the USB to work with WM.
    Unfortunately the Treo is NOT CDC compliant. There is nothing that WirelessModem has done to not make it CDC compliant, it just isn't. WirelessModem is a bridge between the internal modem and an external port, so if the inside device isn't CDC compliant (which it isn't), the outside isn't either.

IrComm simple sends packets which the Treo understands; being CDC compliant requires different pieces in USB that the Treo doesn't understand. My Mac OS X driver was built off a CDC driver, but I had to strip out the CDC code in order to get it to work.

Sorry that it isn't as easy as you'd like.

BTW, the Treo 300, I believe uses a modem from AirPrime with the QUALCOMM chipset. I don't know if the chipset as USB stuff on it, but the modem in the Treo has been modified in various ways, i.e. ATI doesn't return anything which it really should.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you Scott. Then I'll go my plan B. I'll try to find the USBPOS project which creates a virtual serial port and pass everything to USB port. MS did this for new USB POS devices so old applications that talk only RS232. Sounds like exactly what we want. Unfortunately MS pulled out this project. Hopefull I'll still be able to find the code.
    My plan C is to modify IrComm and let it talk to a general USB driver such as the USBIO. I already tried USBIO and it did talk to Treo successfully. The next step is to bridge it to IrComm which was desigbed to talk to Winsock. As both IrComm and USBIO are designed to talk to user mode (not kernel mode) apps, this plan should work.
    If all above do not work, then we'll have to make a driver from scratches and we need the modem datasheet from Treo or AirPrime. Scott, if you have the datasheet, that'll be great. I did downloaded a developer guide from Treo, but it has nothing about the modem.
    Thank you Scott. Then I'll go my plan B. I'll try to find the USBPOS project which creates a virtual serial port and pass everything to USB port. MS did this for new USB POS devices so old applications that talk only RS232. Sounds like exactly what we want. Unfortunately MS pulled out this project. Hopefull I'll still be able to find the code.
    My plan C is to modify IrComm and let it talk to a general USB driver such as the USBIO. I already tried USBIO and it did talk to Treo successfully. The next step is to bridge it to IrComm which was desigbed to talk to Winsock. As both IrComm and USBIO are designed to talk to user mode (not kernel mode) apps, this plan should work.
    If all above do not work, then we'll have to make a driver from scratches and we need the modem datasheet from Treo or AirPrime. Scott, if you have the datasheet, that'll be great. I did downloaded a developer guide from Treo, but it has nothing about the modem.
    The modem datasheets probably won't help (I didn't have them when I wrote the OS X driver and still don't have them). I believe that using the USBPOS driver as a starting pointing sounds like a good plan. However, do a web search on it and you'll find that it is extremely outdated and not the best approach (according to Windows people) to use. If I were you and you'd like to make money on this, I'd steer away from using the IrCOMM driver as it use the GPL license. If you just want to release it to the public, then the IrCOMM source might be useful.

In either case, once you get something running, send me an email (or a private message) and we can discuss bundling, linking, selling, etc. your work. If you do intend on selling it, please build in a way for the user to register it and have a trial period. (If you want me to sell it, it will be listed as a separate item in my web store.)

Thanks.
    Fixup, thanks for taking on this project. I'll be first in line to try out the fruits of your labors. I have a Toshiba Satellite 1005-S157 with Windows XP Home and 3 USB ports.
    David
  6.    #6  
    At this time, I don't care whether or not I'll make money from it, I just want it for myself - just like why you (Scott) made the WirelessModem. I'll try whatever is the simplest first because I don't have much time on it.
    At this time, I don't care whether or not I'll make money from it, I just want it for myself - just like why you (Scott) made the WirelessModem. I'll try whatever is the simplest first because I don't have much time on it.
    Sounds good. I definitely think that you can make a few bucks on the driver and I'd be more than willing to help out with the selling (since people already come to me for the software, having the driver at the same place).
    Hi,

It is great beginning and I think thousands of Treo users will suport you with their money as soon as USB connection to Windows PC wil become available, but please, do not do it for Treo 300 only, 270/180 are also calling for this.

WBR
    Originally posted by Vorozhbyt
    Hi,

It is great beginning and I think thousands of Treo users will suport you with their money as soon as USB connection to Windows PC wil become available, but please, do not do it for Treo 300 only, 270/180 are also calling for this.

WBR
    I don't know if fixup has a Treo 180/270 to work with. The Treo 300 has a slightly different USB setup than the 180/270.
    I have something that gets somewhere in windows. I snagged a Virtual Com Port driver and edited the inf to include the treo. It gives it a com port in device manager and I can install a standard modem to the port. I have Wireless Modem set on the laptop side to the first USB entry. I also have turned on debug mode. When I try to dial, I see windows sending AT commands in the debug area but the dialing just times out. I'm not sure if i'm trying to use a CDC driver or not. Check it out and post your ideas. Thanks.

Be sure to change the .txt to a .zip
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    Originally posted by ShockSLL
    I have something that gets somewhere in windows. I snagged a Virtual Com Port driver and edited the inf to include the treo. It gives it a com port in device manager and I can install a standard modem to the port. I have Wireless Modem set on the laptop side to the first USB entry. I also have turned on debug mode. When I try to dial, I see windows sending AT commands in the debug area but the dialing just times out. I'm not sure if i'm trying to use a CDC driver or not. Check it out and post your ideas. Thanks.

Be sure to change the .txt to a .zip
    Which Treo? If you're using the 300, you need to choose USB Generic 2 and if you're using the 180/270, you need to use the 5th USB port.

I'll install this tomorrow and see if I can help. From my research of the download, you're assuming that the Treo is using a Prolific 2303 USB to serial chip. I found the original download on Prolific's website and will see if simply modifying the vendor/product IDs does the trick.

Based on the information I have, I don't believe that the driver is CDC compliant.

Thanks for tracking this down and let's cross our fingers that it works.

(I was just dealing with the Prolific drivers last weekend for another project.)
    I'm using a 270. When i try to use the 5th usb port even with debug disabled it crashes my treo when I try to dial. I'll keep looking. I was just hopeful since when I used the first USB port it saw the at commands being sent in the debug. What are all the USB's for?
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    I'm using a 270. When i try to use the 5th usb port even with debug disabled it crashes my treo when I try to dial. I'll keep looking. I was just hopeful since when I used the first USB port it saw the at commands being sent in the debug. What are all the USB's for?
    I have no idea what all the ports are for. I took your download yesterday and attempted to install it, but Windows 2000 wouldn't start the port. Can you explain how to install it? If you saw commands in debug mode, then it works! You just have to choose the correct modem to send the correct init string.

Thanks.
    I did all of this on Windows 2003 .NET server (should work the same as XP). I setup wireless modem to usb and turned wireless modem on so that the treo came up in device manager. Then in device manager i updated the driver and forced it to use my inf and drivers. From that it set it up on COM 5 for me and it was showing up under ports. Then I could add a standard 33600 modem to that port. For me all of this only works on the FIRST USB in wireless modem. Any of the others it crashes my treo even not in debug mode. Do you have any suggestions on which modem to install? I'll try changing it to a v90 56600 modem.

Another thing I noticed is that after you install these new drivers you can't do a hotsync. I've tried to install both drivers, virtual com port and the palm driver, in the inf but it may not be setting the services properly.

Thanks.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    i tried doing what you said and it does show up under the device manager but when i try to use your driver it brings up a error saying "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware." when you see it in the device manager whats it under i see it under palm os handheld devices. i have windows xp pro. plz tell me what im doing wrong
    I did

update driver
    Install from a list of specific location (Advanced)
    Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install.
    Then do have disk and browse to the driver location on your hard drive.

Then it should show up and you should be good to go.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    I did all of this on Windows 2003 .NET server (should work the same as XP). I setup wireless modem to usb and turned wireless modem on so that the treo came up in device manager. Then in device manager i updated the driver and forced it to use my inf and drivers. From that it set it up on COM 5 for me and it was showing up under ports. Then I could add a standard 33600 modem to that port. For me all of this only works on the FIRST USB in wireless modem. Any of the others it crashes my treo even not in debug mode. Do you have any suggestions on which modem to install? I'll try changing it to a v90 56600 modem.

Another thing I noticed is that after you install these new drivers you can't do a hotsync. I've tried to install both drivers, virtual com port and the palm driver, in the inf but it may not be setting the services properly.

Thanks.
    Thanks for the update. I managed to get the driver installed and sent a few AT commands to the phone using HyperTerminal. So far it looks like the commands get sent to the Treo, but the responses don't come back. I'll do some more experimentation to see if I did something wrong.

As for not being able to HotSync, someone will need to write a program which changes out the driver unless someone writes a real driver which can distinguish if it is a HotSync or not and then pass it along to the other driver.
    ok let me take that back i got it to install only prob. now is i cant change the com port all it says under ports is handspring handheld what do i do from here?
    you can try right clicking on the handspring handheld and go to properties, then port settings. Then advanced and you can select the com port from there.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    i did, i got it to work another way, but i still had some probs. i guess ill wait till you guys get it to work with wireless modem. thanks for all the help though
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast