Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    After further testing, I've concluded that the driver is connecting to the wrong input pipe on USB for the Treo. While this is a good start, it isn't going to work (at least as far as I can tell). I also had Windows 2000 lock up consistently when I tried with my Treo 300 (I installed the HotSync drivers first).

If you find out anything else, please let me know.
    So since I have a treo 270 I need to use the 5th USB in wireless modem?

I also noticed that if i used the first USB and sent some AT commands using hyperterminal and nothing worked of course but when I turned wireless modem off, the signal indicator changed to a data call (you know with the two arrows). So the first USB connects somehow to the modem.

Did your treo crash when you tried to use any of the other USB's in wireless modem?

I'll keep messing with it. Thanks.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    Originally posted by ShockSLL
    So since I have a treo 270 I need to use the 5th USB in wireless modem?

I also noticed that if i used the first USB and sent some AT commands using hyperterminal and nothing worked of course but when I turned wireless modem off, the signal indicator changed to a data call (you know with the two arrows). So the first USB connects somehow to the modem.

Did your treo crash when you tried to use any of the other USB's in wireless modem?

I'll keep messing with it. Thanks.
    For the Mac, I use the 5th USB port. In my testing with Windows, I had to use the first one. However, since the driver is not correct (it uses the wrong USB input pipe), I don't think we can say that definitely it is the first or 5th USB port. I know that the output works, i.e. I can send ATDT phonenumber for HyperTerminal and the phone number I dialed will ring.

So, i think we're a little closer, but we still don't have a working driver.
  4.    #24  
    I opened my Treo 300 yesterday. As mentioned by Scott, it has a Airprime modem. This is why it behaved very similar to LG 5350 (it too has a Airprime midem) - not as fast as A500 but more reliable.
    The point here is, we can try the Airprime drivers provided by SPCS in the "(Vision) PCS Connection Manager (SM) Software for USB Cables and Airprime PC 3200 Ver. 01.01.022" package. Surprisingly, this package also includes the LG 5350 driver. You can download this package here:

http://205.137.195.84/servlet/Selectpage

I believe this will work for Treo, at least with some mods. I just have no time right now, so you guys go ahead and give it a try. Please post your result.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't wireless modem connect the USB port (along with lots of other ports) of the treo to the modem of the treo? In that case don't we need drivers that correctly talk to the usb port of the treo? My hacked drivers talked to the usb port of the treo and even showed up in debug mode of wireless modem but they weren't using the correct usb pipe.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    Originally posted by Fixup
    I opened my Treo 300 yesterday. As mentioned by Scott, it has a Airprime modem. This is why it behaved very similar to LG 5350 (it too has a Airprime midem) - not as fast as A500 but more reliable.
    The point here is, we can try the Airprime drivers provided by SPCS in the "(Vision) PCS Connection Manager (SM) Software for USB Cables and Airprime PC 3200 Ver. 01.01.022" package. Surprisingly, this package also includes the LG 5350 driver. You can download this package here:

http://205.137.195.84/servlet/Selectpage

I believe this will work for Treo, at least with some mods. I just have no time right now, so you guys go ahead and give it a try. Please post your result.
    If anyone has any luck can they post detailed directions on how to set this up? Do I download the dialer?
    Originally posted by ShockSLL
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't wireless modem connect the USB port (along with lots of other ports) of the treo to the modem of the treo? In that case don't we need drivers that correctly talk to the usb port of the treo? My hacked drivers talked to the usb port of the treo and even showed up in debug mode of wireless modem but they weren't using the correct usb pipe.
    You are correct. The drivers have to do more with the USB implementation on the device than on the modem inside. WirelessModem doesn't really care what's inside the box, it just passes data from one port to another.

I believe that you were on the right track with the driver you found, but it needs to talk to the correct USB pipe. In addition, there must be an easier way to switch between modem and HotSync...switching drivers every time isn't the right answer.
    Anyone try this?! Just released today. Supposed to be able to use Treo300 as modem for pc via USB. Please post results.Palmnet for Treo 300
    I don't have a 300 so I can't completely test this out, but it looks like they have their own driver and an application that sits in your system tray, i guess to switch between hotsync and modem. I did notice that after I installed the app, when I hotsynced the system tray application crashed. So it doesn't look like they have a real stable solution. I'd rather get it working with wireless modem anyway because it seems to be a lot better written software. I don't think palmnet allows you to dial up or connect any other way but usb with vision.

Does anyone know what USB Chipset the treo's use? That could maybe help us find the correct drivers to hack.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    well that happend to me so i turned off hotsync and tried again AND OMG it worked haha, well i have to say the speed is much better too, i did a speed test and got around 11KBytes per second compared to before when i was getting 3-5Kbytes per second i have to say they did a nice job on it. actually im using it to post this right now hehe
    And it hosed me! I can't sync anymore. It replaced my USB driver, so I can't sync via USB. I will probably have to reinstall my Treo Driver.

What is even more bizarre, is that it hosed by IR sync ability too! Don't know if the app works. I NEVER GOT FAR ENOUGH TO INSTALL IT!
    Originally posted by FIXER
    well that happend to me so i turned off hotsync and tried again AND OMG it worked haha, well i have to say the speed is much better too, i did a speed test and got around 11KBytes per second compared to before when i was getting 3-5Kbytes per second i have to say they did a nice job on it. actually im using it to post this right now hehe
    Yes it works! I got 36 down / 25 up, but as Scott has pointed out on numerous occaisions, the speed fluctuates so the test at dslreports only tells part of the story. One only need to watch the kb counter in the palmnet program on the treo to verify this.

So PalmNet proves proof of concept. Next thing is for something stable. I got errors when trying to hotsync the palm side app so I unloaded palm desktop, and a errors all over the place (on the palm, in the tray, on the xp desktop) when trying to connect.

A successfull connect for me involves:

1. connect the usb cable to phone and laptop
    2. start the PalmNet app on the treo
    3. hit the connect box
    4. acknowledge the "serial in use" error message in palmnet
    5. hit "redial" on the xp desktop

I noticed that the connection dropped frequently, but while connected, it's great. I was able to play msnbc radio news while surfing. If this is going to be our only xp usb option, I will buy it, even in it's buggy state. If Scott subsequently arrives at a more robust solution, I'll probably buy that too. I question the use of the name "PalmNet" though. I think they will be receiving correspondence from Palm, Inc. counsel in regards to copywrite infringement as "PalmNet" is/was one of their registered trademarks if I'm not mistaken. Even so, no biggie, just change the name. Who cares about the name. I just want to surf on my laptop.

I'll mess with it more later...
    David
    It's nice to see that someone came out with a competing product; only took about 6 months.

If it works for people, that's great.
  14.    #34  
    I just tried PalmNet. Ping time is much better than WirelessModem, 300ms vs. 760ms. Downloading speed is better too, but not so stable and slows down when the downloading file is big. It is good for my home desktop. For my laptop, WM and IrComm is still very handy - no cable to carry. Therefore I still purchased WM today.
    To those WM users who are going to try PN, be sure to uninstall IrComm2K and reboot before you install PN. They do not work together. Actually IrComm2K cannot exist with any other virtual serial port. I did not reboot after I uninstalled IrComm2K and PN sent my XP laptop to blue screen.
    Overall, WM is a better design in the first place. Scott, your WM still has no rival for its seemless support for different OSs (Mac, Linux, Windows), different handhelds (Treo, Palm), and different connection types (IR, serial, USB). All you need is a USB driver for Windows and this is a big one because both USB and Windows rule.
    As PalmNet is able to reduce the ping time by half, Scott, I think you should look into your code to reduce WM's latence. I don't think it is the IR, becuase I got similarly long ping time with serial cable.
    I hear that IR can go to up to 4Mb/s but I have no idea what the tech limits are on IR on palm devices. I have beamed data over IR and it is VERY slow.. WHen I use IRCOM to connect wirelessly I get CONNECTED AT 9.6kbps. (9600) whats the deal with that. what does that mean, vision connection speed or is that the IR speed

I get ~550-750 pings on IR and very low data transfer speed

Im wondering
    1) is it worth buying WirelessModem if IR is very slow?
    2) is it worth buying palmnet because it may be a USB driver but just as fast as IR

EVERYONE DOWNLOAD PALMNET and lets compare results.

IS IT WORTH IT
    They both have there pros and cons
    WM
    pros
    os support
    ir
    serial
    usb(mac linux)
    cons
    no usb(windows)
    not so great ping
    PN
    pros
    windows usb
    good ping
    cons
    os support
    errors
    more connections other then usb

if you work through the errors on PN its a great program, i didnt have as many problems getting it to work and its only version 1.0
    WM is also great all that needs to be fixed is the ping and needs the usb driver then it would be great
    but till then im using PN cause it uses usb, o yea whats the deal with the trial of pn is it like 30days or somethin cause i have no idea what the diff. between that and the reg. version are
    After initiating a connect with pn I get this error message box:

-------------------------------------------------
    Service Connection Progress ("!" in a triangle)
    Error: Serial: port in use (0x0307)
    Ok
    ------------------------------------------------

I tap "Ok" and then everything works fine. pn is using com4 on my laptop. Only other com port on that computer is com3 which is an internal amr modem.
    David
    Originally posted by FIXER
    They both have there pros and cons
    WM
    pros
    os support
    ir
    serial
    usb(mac linux)
    cons
    no usb(windows)
    not so great ping
    PN
    pros
    windows usb
    good ping
    cons
    os support
    errors
    more connections other then usb

if you work through the errors on PN its a great program, i didnt have as many problems getting it to work and its only version 1.0
    WM is also great all that needs to be fixed is the ping and needs the usb driver then it would be great
    but till then im using PN cause it uses usb, o yea whats the deal with the trial of pn is it like 30days or somethin cause i have no idea what the diff. between that and the reg. version are
    I think that you're overstating the ping issue. Have you used WirelessModem through USB on Mac or Linux? If not, then you're comparing apples and oranges. I checked my code and it sends the bytes as quickly as it receives them. The only thing that could slow it down is that it also checks for system events so that you can tap buttons and quit.
    i have used it on a powerbook G4 and it was ok i like WM for all the options thats what makes it so good, and PN has errors and is ok and the only reason i would use it is for the usb on windows.
    For PalmNet1.0 users:

Trouble Shooting (fixes coming soon! stay tuned)
    If you got: Error: Serial: port in use (0x0307) on PalmNet/PDA
    Try: In the app launcher of your PDA, tab Prefs->Network, bring up the menu (tab on to title bar), tab Options/Preferences, see if "Connect to the date network whenever wireless mode is powered on." is checked. UNCHECK it if it is checked and try to launch PalmNet (on the PDA) again.

If you got: PalmNet crashes on Desktop after installation
    Try: Quit Hotsync Manager before installation, and
    Try: Uninstall IrComm (the Virtual IR COM Driver) if you have installed it before, the driver might conflicts with the PalmNet Universal Driver.

If you got: PalmNet/PDA quits after closing the lid.
    Try: Assign a PDA button for the PalmNet App and press it with the Lid closed.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast