1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Has anyone been able to setup their Treo to send and receive faxes via their computer's faxing abilities? Can I use wireless modem to do this or, is there another program that I could use.

~Brett
    Originally posted by NRG
    Has anyone been able to setup their Treo to send and receive faxes via their computer's faxing abilities? Can I use wireless modem to do this or, is there another program that I could use.

~Brett
    You absolutely will not be able to receive faxes with the Treo (either on the Treo itself or through WirelessModem). The Treo's internal modem will not receive faxes (all Treo versions). As for sending faxes, WirelessModem should work for doing this.
    You could also try Mark/Space fax. You can't receive recieve faxes, but you can send faxes using this app...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    You could also try Mark/Space fax. You can't receive recieve faxes, but you can send faxes using this app...
    Based on your suggestion, I am trying out the demo for Fax on my Treo 300, and read the manual and checked their faqs etc.

So far, I have not been able to send my first test fax.

Message reads: "Could not get device attention. Check cable/IR connection and modem/phone power."

The instructions in the manual were quite clear, with one exception: I could not determine what the correct PORT setting was for the Treo 300. I've guessed at several of the options but still can't send fax. I don't know whether the port setting is the problem. I've tried Serial, Auto Detect, Wireless Modem, etc. but don't really know which one to pick. (Set to Wireless Modem. the error message is different: "The modem is not a CLASS 2 Fax Modem. Try CLASS 2.0 instead."

Or is the problem something else?

Any thoughts?

TIA!

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Originally posted by NateS

Based on your suggestion, I am trying out the demo for Fax on my Treo 300, and read the manual and checked their faqs etc.

So far, I have not been able to send my first test fax.

Message reads: "Could not get device attention. Check cable/IR connection and modem/phone power."

The instructions in the manual were quite clear, with one exception: I could not determine what the correct PORT setting was for the Treo 300. I've guessed at several of the options but still can't send fax. I don't know whether the port setting is the problem. I've tried Serial, Auto Detect, Wireless Modem, etc. but don't really know which one to pick. (Set to Wireless Modem. the error message is different: "The modem is not a CLASS 2 Fax Modem. Try CLASS 2.0 instead."

Or is the problem something else?

Any thoughts?

TIA!

Regards,

NateS
    I'd wait until a new beta of Fax 2.0 is posted as I've fixed a number of issues.

BTW, the Modem config settings are:

Port: Wireless Modem
    Modem - Hit edit settings
    Speed: 19200
    Type: Class 2.0
    Use CTS/RTS
    Init String: ATZ

Faxing costs $0.39 per minute on Sprint.
    Originally posted by sgruby

I'd wait until a new beta of Fax 2.0 is posted as I've fixed a number of issues.

BTW, the Modem config settings are:

Port: Wireless Modem
    Modem - Hit edit settings
    Speed: 19200
    Type: Class 2.0
    Use CTS/RTS
    Init String: ATZ

Thanks, Scott!

So in other words, I don't use the Treo pre-set, but instead go in and customize as you indicated. When I did that, I found that I needed to make one change: Changed Type from Class 2 to Class 2.0 (What an odd distinction for a numerical naming convention?!) and Bingo! my fax got sent!

Now to run and see if it got received!

Regards,

NateS

Thanks, Scott!

So in other words, I don't use the Treo pre-set, but instead go in and customize as you indicated. When I did that, I found that I needed to make one change: Changed Type from Class 2 to Class 2.0 (What an odd distinction for a numerical naming convention?!) and Bingo! my fax got sent!

Regards,

NateS
    The Treo pre-set was put in there before the Treo 300 shipped, so it was for the 180/270. The 300 has a Class 2.0 Fax modem while the 180/270 has a Class 2. Definitely a stupid naming convention, but that's what got set for the standard.
    I get faxes on my 270 albeit unconventional. The faxes go to my voicemai, which I dial and then get the faxes.

Its clunky but it is working.

Derek

Thanks, Scott!

Regards,

NateS
    Yep! It went through!

Are there new features in the upcoming version, Scott? is it close to release?

Regards,

NateS
    I get faxes on my 270 albeit unconventional. The faxes go to my voicemai, which I dial and then get the faxes.
    In relation to this, another option is to use a web based faxing service like J2.com. This service allows you to receive faxes (for free) at a "jConnect number" and are forwarded to your email inbox as a graphic file attachment. Then you can use something like snappermail to open the attachments. J2 also, of course, offers premium services that allow you to send faxes via a wirless device as described here.

Interestingly, I think you could use J2's FREE fax receiving via your email address, and then you could use Mark/space to send your faxes!!

Yep! It went through!

Are there new features in the upcoming version, Scott? is it close to release?

Regards,

NateS
    Fax receive (not on Treos...Handspring crippled the hardware)
    Multiple page faxes
    Better handling of cover pages
    Better handling of sending faxes in some instance
    Bluetooth support (for devices and phone that support it.

I'm waiting to hear back on some testing and then it will go out for beta. There are lots of fax modems and fax machines that need to be tested.
    Say WHAT???

I thought they got charged as wireless web minutes, or cell minutes at the worst... are you sure about this? That would explain the $5 minutes charge on my bill, even though I wasn't over in minutes...
    Originally posted by richierich69

Say WHAT???

I thought they got charged as wireless web minutes, or cell minutes at the worst... are you sure about this? That would explain the $5 minutes charge on my bill, even though I wasn't over in minutes...
    If you have Vision, you can't get Wireless Web which means the data calls can't come out of your pool of voice minutes. I'm 100% sure of this as I have a number of $0.39 charges on my bill. At one point I tried to get Wireless Web on my account, but they couldn't do it with the Treo 300.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

In relation to this, another option is to use a web based faxing service like J2.com. This service allows you to receive faxes (for free) at a "jConnect number" and are forwarded to your email inbox as a graphic file attachment. Then you can use something like snappermail to open the attachments. J2 also, of course, offers
    Unfortunately, j2.com sends it's faxes in TIF format (jfx extension). AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $aren$'$t$ $any$ $current$ $PALM$ $programs$ $I$ $know$ $of$ $that$ $can$ $view$ $this$ $format$. $Your$ $only$ $choice$ $is$ $to$ $receive$ $the$ $file$ $then$ $to$ $use$ $j2$.$com$ $to$ $e$-$mail$ $it$ $back$ $out$ $to$ $a$ $nearby$ $fax$ $machine$.
    Originally posted by hesspaul

Unfortunately, j2.com sends it's faxes in TIF format (jfx extension). AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $aren$'$t$ $any$ $current$ $PALM$ $programs$ $I$ $know$ $of$ $that$ $can$ $view$ $this$ $format$. $Your$ $only$ $choice$ $is$ $to$ $receive$ $the$ $file$ $then$ $to$ $use$ $j2$.$com$ $to$ $e$-$mail$ $it$ $back$ $out$ $to$ $a$ $nearby$ $fax$ $machine$.
    I haven't tried this myself, but I believe HandStory browser for PalmOS actually supports TIFF image viewing w/o conversion. However like I said, I'm not sure about this...