Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Apologies if this is too off-topic, but this might be of interest.

I missed quite a few old classic Palm apps and games, so I recently ported the old Palm OS Emulator (POSE) to Android. It's called "PHEM" (the Palm Hardware Emulator M68k) and it runs Palm apps and hacks, and can use 'skin' files to precisely mimic the appearance of dozens of Palm handhelds. Full source is available under the GPL.

Anyway, more info can be found at "perpendox.com/phem/".
    Hi perpendox,

At first I thought this was going to be another Spam post, but in looking at your app.... it's pretty damn cool!
    For $0.99, I can pull up my old beloved Palm OS apps and walk down memory lane. Nice emulator!

Here's the Play Store link for the old PalmOS fans:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...perpendox.phem
    Would it run on a touchpad with ACL?
    Which Android version does it require?
    Miss palmos poweful PIM's!
    Last edited by Wayenberg; 11/10/2013 at 03:21 AM.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayenberg View Post
    Would it run on a touchpad with ACL?
    Which Android version does it require?
    Miss palmos poweful PIM's!
    Interesting question. Has to be tested :-)
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/12/2013 at 03:17 PM.
    Phem runs on 2.2 so this should be a nice surprise with the release of Acl 1.0
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    So why is it that Android can run an emulator for all the wonderful old Palm apps we used years ago, but webOS can't?

Makes me sad that I have a Touchpad and need ACL to run an emulator for my old stuff. Yes, Classic can be made to run on the TP, but not yet on the Pre3 and ACL isn't available on the Pre3 yet either. :-(

But I am buying it :-)

And of course, ACL doesn't have access to Google Play, so you could make a deal with the devil and get this in the OpenMobile App Mall too? It would save a bit of messing about for ACL users!
    Last edited by MikeN68; 11/10/2013 at 08:35 AM.
    Well you can use APK Downloader website to get APK from the Play store and sideload them :-) Works fine for me :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/12/2013 at 03:17 PM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    "Yo dawg. I heard you like emulators, so we put an emulator in yo' emulator so you can app while you app!"
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I will test it with 0.6.0-5 and will giving a feedback :-)
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/16/2013 at 06:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    PHEM uses a native library and JNI, so I'm not sure it can work under ACL.

Although... the hard part was getting POSE ported to compile on an ARM processor, and to convert it into a shared library. It's designed to have a C++ "engine", with another interface layered on top. On Android, that's Java and Activities and Fragments, using JNI.

But I suspect it wouldn't be all that hard to convert the file "PHEMNativeIF.cpp" to use a different interface. Say, the PDK of webOS. It already compiles under GCC, and doesn't use any special libraries beyond libstdc++ and libpthreads.

I don't have time to do it myself, I'm afraid. (I already spent more of my 'spare' time than wife really wanted, making the Android port.) But the source is available, and I'd be tickled to see it ported to other hardware.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by perpendox View Post
    But I suspect it wouldn't be all that hard to convert the file "PHEMNativeIF.cpp" to use a different interface. Say, the PDK of webOS. It already compiles under GCC, and doesn't use any special libraries beyond libstdc++ and libpthreads.
    I'm just deciding what palm apps to get in one window while pressing F5 here...

I recently complained about HP making a print app for Android and got 2 webOS solutions in 24 hrs!

I suspect we may soon see this, given the expertise of some of the people on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I suspect we may soon see this, given the expertise of some of the people on this forum.
    Hopefully!
    I'll be putting aside some spare change while watching this thread closely. OS4 was not bad so this would be great if someone takes it up.
    MikeN68 likes this.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Saw this post yesterday and purchased it. At first I didn't realize that you have to have your own rom file to load in the emulator. Figure the last time I played with a PalmOS emulator was probably when I had my Palm IIIxe. Was able to get it running and also load my most used programs, for which there has not been a WebOS and now Android replacement. It took a little time to figure out how to get the sync to work over wifi. But after a few hours of work, it actually does work. I guess my Pre2 might actually be completely replaced by the Galaxy sIII I switched to a few weeks ago. Still really miss the functionality of WebOS and I hope for a day that I might be able to return.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimBoch View Post
    Saw this post yesterday and purchased it. At first I didn't realize that you have to have your own rom file to load in the emulator. Figure the last time I played with a PalmOS emulator was probably when I had my Palm IIIxe. Was able to get it running and also load my most used programs, for which there has not been a WebOS and now Android replacement. It took a little time to figure out how to get the sync to work over wifi. But after a few hours of work, it actually does work. I guess my Pre2 might actually be completely replaced by the Galaxy sIII I switched to a few weeks ago. Still really miss the functionality of WebOS and I hope for a day that I might be able to return.
    Glad it's working for you! I am, of course, not allowed to offer ROM images for download, or to link to any of the sites or torrents where they are offered.

I'll just say that not everyone follows those restrictions.
    It is possible to make hotsync by Wifi (Android ====> Modem by Wifi =====> PC by ethernet) ?
    It is possible to choose the name of the device ? (objective 1 centro by one android and replace one palm pre2 by one android and sync the 2 android devices on the same pc)
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by camaleon View Post
    It is possible to make hotsync by Wifi (Android ====> Modem by Wifi =====> PC by ethernet) ?
    It is possible to choose the name of the device ? (objective 1 centro by one android and replace one palm pre2 by one android and sync the 2 android devices on the same pc)
    Yes, it's possible to do a Wifi hotsync with PHEM. There are directions on the "Palm Basics" page at the PHEM website. (perpendox.com/phem/palm-concepts.html) And there's an option to change the HotSync name in the "Advanced Settings" screen.

One limitation is that a particular Android device uses the same HotSync name for all the Palms it emulates. That is to say, if you set the HotSync name to "Hannibal Lecter", then all the Palms you emulate will have that name. If you emulate a Palm m505, and then switch to a Handspring Visor, they will both use the "Hannibal Lecter" name. It's a limitation of emulator PHEM's based on.

If you have two Android devices, though, each one can use different HotSync names.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    BTW, if anyone has the source code for Sony's Clie emulator, I'd love to add support for those Palms to PHEM! It was released under the GPL, but doesn't seem to be on the net anywhere anymore.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by perpendox View Post
    BTW, if anyone has the source code for Sony's Clie emulator, I'd love to add support for those Palms to PHEM! It was released under the GPL, but doesn't seem to be on the net anywhere anymore.
    I had many different Sony Clie models. I still have the CDs. Would they be of any help?
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    I need help

In 2013, I was using PHEM without problems
    This morning, i want to use phem, and it says it has no roms
    I try to delete+reinstall phems and copy agian the rom, but it stills says "no roms"

Is someone can help me ?
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    This scared me pretty good. So I checked my PHEM and it is launching normally and programs are still there and launch. Could the roms folder somehow got deleted or changed in some way? I wish I could be of more help, but I am sure the developer will come along and help quickly. He has answered my questions promptly.

Quote Originally Posted by camaleon View Post
    I need help

In 2013, I was using PHEM without problems
    This morning, i want to use phem, and it says it has no roms
    I try to delete+reinstall phems and copy agian the rom, but it stills says "no roms"

Is someone can help me ?
    Tim Boche

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast