Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Could somebody give me a link to instructions? Do I need to purchase an additional cable? If I dial in as 777 is sprint acting as my ISP?
    Originally posted by woodylong
    Could somebody give me a link to instructions? Do I need to purchase an additional cable? If I dial in as 777 is sprint acting as my ISP?
    woodylong,

If you figure this out please let me know too. I was about to post the same question then I saw your post.

I need to have my car serviced and I just thought it would be neat to be able to check e-mail on my laptop while I work at the car service center's lounge.
    Please check the previous threads on this topic; there are a few about this topic.

Bottom line is that you have to use my WirelessModem software <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/>. If you have issues configuring it, the threads should help.
  4.    #4  
    I installed the demo version of the software, but it says that if I want to connect via USB port, I need to be using a Mac or running LINUX on my laptop.

It seems windows will not recognise the modem connected via USB? Is this correct?

Installing Linux on my laptop is not something I want to do.

So, my question is do I need to purchase a different cable to connect to the serial port, and if so where do I purchase this?

Or how else do I get around the problem?
    I installed the demo version of the software, but it says that if I want to connect via USB port, I need to be using a Mac or running LINUX on my laptop.

It seems windows will not recognise the modem connected via USB? Is this correct?

Installing Linux on my laptop is not something I want to do.

So, my question is do I need to purchase a different cable to connect to the serial port, and if so where do I purchase this?

Or how else do I get around the problem?
    From my website: "If you want to connect your Treo or Tungsten W to your laptop via USB, you must use a Macintosh or a Linux machine. We do not have Windows USB drivers and at this time have no plans on developing them."

Please do a search in this forum; this question has been asked more times than I can count. You can either use serial or IR.
  6.    #6  
    Sorry if this is in the archives, but I cannot find it. Where do I buy a cable to hook the treo to the serial port; or alternatively an adapter to convert the UBS connector on the existing cable to a serial?
    Sorry if this is in the archives, but I cannot find it. Where do I buy a cable to hook the treo to the serial port; or alternatively an adapter to convert the UBS connector on the existing cable to a serial?
    <http://www.handspring.com/>

The exact link is:
    <http://www.handspring.com/products/P...006&cat=230005>

I bought mine at Staples.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Scott,

With your Demo versiion I successfully connected twice, once with IR and once with Serial.

Today,.....with a client....I couldn't connect either way.

With IR
    get a #770 Error: "Connection rejected by remote computer"

With Serial
    get 698 Error: Hardware failure or something like that.

Have re-installed IRCOMM and the Demo version of WM but still no joy.....

Any help appreciated.

Warren
    Warren C.
    A great cable at a good price can be purchased from a user called accessorydirect on eBay. I got mine from them.

Do a search for "usb serial treo" on eBay.
    Originally posted by Wchapman
    Scott,

With your Demo versiion I successfully connected twice, once with IR and once with Serial.

Today,.....with a client....I couldn't connect either way.

With IR
    get a #770 Error: "Connection rejected by remote computer"

With Serial
    get 698 Error: Hardware failure or something like that.

Have re-installed IRCOMM and the Demo version of WM but still no joy.....

Any help appreciated.

Warren
    If you're using 98, make sure you've selected 56000 bps modem (not X2) and if you're using XP, select 33600. If that doesn't work, drop down to a different speed. Also, make sure you're dialing #777 with no username and no password. Check the log (you'll have to look to find it) and post it.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Scott

I'm running Windows 2000 Pro.

1. I've selected "Standard 56000kps V.90 Modem"...(on Com3) per your posted instructions for Win2K/XP. I'll try the lower speed.

2. Should the dial number window have the "#" symbol included, i.e "#777" or just plain "777"?

Warren C.
    Warren C.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Correction

IR is setup on Com 2.

Made the suggested changes but still get "770 error with IR. "Remote computer rejected the connection".

Warren C.
    Warren C.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Another correction.....boy this is confusing.

IR is on Com 4
    Serial is on Com 3.

Warren C
    Warren C.
    Originally posted by Wchapman
    Scott

I'm running Windows 2000 Pro.

1. I've selected "Standard 56000kps V.90 Modem"...(on Com3) per your posted instructions for Win2K/XP. I'll try the lower speed.

2. Should the dial number window have the "#" symbol included, i.e "#777" or just plain "777"?

Warren C.
    Yes, you must absolutely have # in front of the phone number. As indicated in the instructions, the phone number is "#777". (without the quotes).
    I guess this one's for Scott Gruby. I downloaded Wireless Modem for Mac OSX and printed the instructions which I followed in detail. When I get to the part of configuring on the Mac's Network Port Configurations , I don't see the "USB Modem" choice. Here the instructions say "if you don't see it, you did something wrong , start from the beginning".

I've started from the beginning several times doing every combination I could think of and yet I don't get the "USB Modem" choice. Is this something my Mac should have (I'm running Jaguar) or is it installed when I install Wireless Modem ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks a lot.
    Originally posted by pgrosby
    I guess this one's for Scott Gruby. I downloaded Wireless Modem for Mac OSX and printed the instructions which I followed in detail. When I get to the part of configuring on the Mac's Network Port Configurations , I don't see the "USB Modem" choice. Here the instructions say "if you don't see it, you did something wrong , start from the beginning".

I've started from the beginning several times doing every combination I could think of and yet I don't get the "USB Modem" choice. Is this something my Mac should have (I'm running Jaguar) or is it installed when I install Wireless Modem ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks a lot.
    You can check the Console to see if there are any error messages. I suspect that you:

1) Had System Preferences open when doing the steps
    2) Didn't launch the WirelessModem app before plugging in the Treo and turning on the Treo side
    3) Didn't copy the application to your hard drive

Other than that, I don't have suggestions.
    I reinstalled following your suggestions and its working! Thanks a lot. Great utility and worth the license.

By the way, on the Sprint network what's the average and maximum transfer speeds I can hope for ?

Thanks.
    I tried demo with OS X and it worked great. Paid license fee. Went to Virgin Islands (after upgrade to 10.2.4) and Mac does not see USB modem. Repaired privledges. Nada. Followed directions to the letter. Any thoughts?
    Originally posted by jeffersonh1
    I tried demo with OS X and it worked great. Paid license fee. Went to Virgin Islands (after upgrade to 10.2.4) and Mac does not see USB modem. Repaired privledges. Nada. Followed directions to the letter. Any thoughts?
    Go back to the beginning and follow the steps again.
    I have gone back to the beginning. Tried to create new Sprint location but USB modem does not show. In old saved location USB modem is greyed out.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast