Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32
  1. #21  
    Originally posted by jeffersonh1
    I have gone back to the beginning. Tried to create new Sprint location but USB modem does not show. In old saved location USB modem is greyed out.
    I've posted a new version (for Mac OS X) at: <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/>. However, I don't think it will solve your problem. You did close System Preferences, didn't you?

    This new version renames the USB Modem to be WirelessModem.

    The order of steps is critical:

    1) Quit (not just close) System Preferences on the Mac.
    2) Launch WirelessModem on the Mac (must be running from your hard drive and not the disc image)
    3) Launch WirelessModem on the Treo. Set port settings
    4) Hit Enable on the Treo
    5) Launch System Preferences
    6) Hit Network. WirelessModem should now be a network port

    To verify that the driver is loaded, you can go to terminal and type: ls -al /dev

    If you see tty.WirelessModem, then everything is loaded. In addition, you can type kextstat and if you see com.notifymail.driver.WirelessModemDriver

    I suggest that if you still have problems, print out the directions and cross each step off as you do it. The most common problems are because you missed a step.
  2. #22  
    I noticed in console the error cant find extension with I'd com.notifymail.driver.WirelessModemDriver. Went to internet cafe and redownloaded app. Same error and still no USB modem in network selection.

    UPDATE: Deleted WirelessModem app on Mac. Went in trash and found .dmg image. Manually mounted .dmg image (didn't allow Safari to do it automatically), and this time it worked! I'm sitting on my hotel terrace in St Thomas watching the cruise ships leave while my Treo takes me online! Thanks for a neat program!
    Last edited by jeffersonh1; 03/12/2003 at 03:41 PM.
  3. #23  
    After failing to connect on IR, I sprung for the the Serial cable by Hanspring. It was in stock at Staples for $30. I then used the instructions found on Grubys notifymail web site. I am running a notebook with Windows ME and found that the instructions for Windows 98 matched Windows ME better than did Windows 2000. I was able to fire up a connection on my first try. the reported speed was 56K, but it was slower than that most of the time with occasional speed bursts. This is on account of Sprints methods. Also, as reported the detail is reduced in graphics, but not as much or as bothersome as one would guess. Otherwise the performance was adequate to very good. I also found that I could power the Treo at the same time by using the Y cable of the Handspring serial cable for power. This is a tremendous advantage for lengthy usage and I have another cable that allows to me to power the serial/Treo from the USB port of the notebook!!!! very nice as it runs and charges the Treo at the same time with no wall bug transformer.
    Scott Gruby's program is very simple and very nice. Well worth the money I am about to send him.
    For others trying this out: important pieces: download the prog/synch prc to treo/disconnect hotsynch/go to control panel/select modems/select add modem/disallow search for driver/pick standard 56k modem/do Gruby's reccomendation for settings/pick com1 probably as your regular modem is probably on com3/finish here/pick dial up networking/add/choose 56k modem/finish/go to treo/add cable/run Grubyprog/set serial and 56k/set wireless 56k/select enable modem/go back to notebook/doubleclick whatever you named the connection/observe notification of connectiom and check system tray icon for speed and status/run email explorer netscape etc./ AOL runs okay over this but is a pain as it tries to take over/ note that you may want to select never dial a connection when you are done, if you are often on a cable Lan as I am. Then enable the dialer when you need to use the Treo Sprint modem that you created. Nice work Scott and members!!! I now have an emergency/occasional use available.....
  4. FON
    FON is offline
    FON's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    #24  
    Originally posted by Wchapman
    Scott

    I'm running Windows 2000 Pro.

    1. I've selected "Standard 56000kps V.90 Modem"...(on Com3) per your posted instructions for Win2K/XP. I'll try the lower speed.

    2. Should the dial number window have the "#" symbol included, i.e "#777" or just plain "777"?

    Warren C.
    Try using Com1 as your serial port.
  5. #25  
    i'm trying to connect using wirelessmodem program, but can't seem to get laptop to recognize treo as modem.

    when i go to modem control panel, there is no Port list ("connect via internal modem" is pre set), so i cannot select USB Palm as suggested in instructions for the software.

    thoughts?
  6. #26  
    Originally posted by yoideaman
    i'm trying to connect using wirelessmodem program, but can't seem to get laptop to recognize treo as modem.

    when i go to modem control panel, there is no Port list ("connect via internal modem" is pre set), so i cannot select USB Palm as suggested in instructions for the software.

    thoughts?
    Did you install Palm Desktop from Handspring? You need to do that first.
  7. #27  
    thanks scott. it works.

    one problem: i can receive mail (using outlook express) but can't send it.

    any idea why?
  8. #28  
    Originally posted by yoideaman
    thanks scott. it works.

    one problem: i can receive mail (using outlook express) but can't send it.

    any idea why?
    You need to find an ISP that provides authentication SMTP or some other method of verifying who you are. Yahoo offers it for a fee and I know that there are others. (This is the same issue if you use a mail app directly on your Treo. I know that there has been some discussions about this in the past.) Do a search on open relay and I think you'll find more info.
  9. #29  
    Not to take anything away from wirelessmodem which was the first to allow us treo users to access the internet via the treo as a modem but I am hoping that S.Gruby will come out with a Win USB update before the palmnet trial is over. Yes it is true that you did state on your website that you have no plans of developing software for WIN-usb support for wireless-modem. I would hate to have to purchase palmnet when wireless modem has been very reliable to me. So the question becomes Scott do you know if in the forseeable future if you will come out with USB-WIN support for wireless modem or should us WIN users go the way of palmnet?
  10. #30  
    Originally posted by sgruby


    You need to find an ISP that provides authentication SMTP or some other method of verifying who you are. Yahoo offers it for a fee and I know that there are others. (This is the same issue if you use a mail app directly on your Treo. I know that there has been some discussions about this in the past.) Do a search on open relay and I think you'll find more info.
    Check out www.FastMail.FM for an email provider. They use IMAP instead of POP3 and it works great with Papi-eMail and TreoMail. You can use them for sending and the price is right..."free"
  11. #31  
    thank you both for your ISP ideas. do you know if these would allow me to gather email using outlook explorer...(pardon my ignorance if this question betrays it. ;-)
  12. #32  
    Originally posted by Bagbklyn
    Not to take anything away from wirelessmodem which was the first to allow us treo users to access the internet via the treo as a modem but I am hoping that S.Gruby will come out with a Win USB update before the palmnet trial is over. Yes it is true that you did state on your website that you have no plans of developing software for WIN-usb support for wireless-modem. I would hate to have to purchase palmnet when wireless modem has been very reliable to me. So the question becomes Scott do you know if in the forseeable future if you will come out with USB-WIN support for wireless modem or should us WIN users go the way of palmnet?
    Unless some Windows developer steps forward and offers to write the driver, WirelessModem will not have a Windows USB driver. If I had the knowledge, I would write it, but I don't. If I had the money and found a good developer, I'd pay to have someone write it. However, considering I just lost my job, I don't have the money to write one. The sales of WirelessModem so far don't come anywhere near enough for me to live on.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions