Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By trwrt
  • 1 Post By cenozoite
  1.    #1  
    I have been trying to settle on the best workable email solution for my Treo 680, but each option seems to have a major flaw and I'm hoping someone here may be able to suggest something. Quick rundown is below:

Versamail: Perfectly fine for my needs and works well for all of my IMAP accounts. Only major issue is that when set to alert me upon mail arrival, it triggers this alert EVERY time mail is downloaded, even if the messages retrieved are not new/unread. If I've already read the messages elsewhere and Versamail recognizes this (and displays them correctly as previously read) it should not cause an alert and get my attention, just to inform me of already-read messages. I know I can set it to only *download* unread emails, but that't not what I want. I need it to retrieve all emails upon sync, but only alert me of new unread ones.

ChatterEmail: Great and full-featured, but its Achilles heel is that you cannot override the 48,000 byte limit on maximum initial message size download. It gets really tiresome to have to constantly hit the "more" button at the bottom of the message to reconnect and retrieve the rest, especially since this automatically jumps you back up to the very top of the message again, losing your place. If there is a way to hack this limit, I'm not aware of it. Also separately, using the exact same IMAP settings for my Yahoo account that work perfectly in Versamail, cause Chatter to download the message body but always report the "From" and "Subject" fields as totally blank.

Agendus(Mail): Strips all HTML tags and content from all messages downloaded, with no way for the user to disable this behaviour. Not acceptable when other programs display HTML email perfectly fine.

Snappermail: Unavailable anywhere on the net for purchase, so I cannot test its capabilities. I have installed the trial version (2.42) but it tells me my trial has already expired. I must have installed it years ago and forgotten, but never bought the full version, so it remains inaccessible to me in any form. Version 3.0 is referenced in net discussions but not obtainable.

Is anyone aware of either a workaround for any of the issues described above, or another email program not listed, that doesn't have the problems mentioned? I'd be very grateful for any guidance offered... thanks!
    Last edited by cenozoite; 10/20/2013 at 09:12 PM.
    If you search in our forums, you will find info on Snappermail and the others (since TreoCentral was merged into this site a couple few years ago).

Here's on discussion on the upgraded 3.0 version SnapperMail version 3.0 officially released

I think all downloads have been pulled, so you might be able to find it on some 'shady' sites, but it does require a license anyhow since you already had the trial version. When I was using the Treo 650 and 680, I preferred Versamail to all of the other clients.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    If you search in our forums, you will find info on Snappermail and the others (since TreoCentral was merged into this site a couple few years ago).

Here's on discussion on the upgraded 3.0 version SnapperMail version 3.0 officially released

I think all downloads have been pulled, so you might be able to find it on some 'shady' sites, but it does require a license anyhow since you already had the trial version. When I was using the Treo 650 and 680, I preferred Versamail to all of the other clients.
    Thanks for your reply. I'd be perfectly happy with Versamail (4.0.1) except for that nasty bug of always alerting me to the arrival of email messages I've already read half an hour ago, through my desktop email program or the web. When my Treo dings and informs me new mail has arrived, most of the time I check it only to find: "Oh, yeah, that message.. read it and replied to it earlier today... not new, just newly arrived in Versamail... okay..."

I have the trial of Snappermail but can't use it because it's expired.. even if I reset my device and try the trial, it will just expire again and I can't purchase a license. Haven't found alternate versions on shady sites either, so it remains out of reach.
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    Maybe a hybrid strategy? Enable alerts in Chatter and use it only as a notifier, disable alerts in Versamail and use it for actually reading your mail.
    HelloNNNewman and xandros9 like this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by trwrt View Post
    Maybe a hybrid strategy? Enable alerts in Chatter and use it only as a notifier, disable alerts in Versamail and use it for actually reading your mail.
    Interesting option... two potential problems would be (1) uncertainty that they'd each sync at the exact same time, even if set to the same minute interval (so the new message might not yet be there in Versa, when alerted by Chatter). And (2) the fact that clicking the Chatter alert in Attention Manager would take me to Chatter, rather than Versa where I actually want to read the message.

Might sound like a minor gripe, but still the same brand of combersome inconvenience as having to click the "more" button in Chatter i nthe first place.

I appreciate the creative suggestion, though..

From anyone's experience using Snappermail, does it solve both these problems effectively, and is its lack of availabiltiy its only obstacle? Or does it have other issues? From the thread linked above, the lack of "unobtrusive background sync" is mentioned, but not too much else.
  6.    #6  
    Dang... the fact that Snappermail is not obtainable is making me wish I could get my hands on it even more desperately, to see whether it might solve/address my issues!

Does anyone have it, in any form?

I'd gladly pay for it but it's no longer for sale, and even all the shady site links are long since defunct. If I can get a hold of a relatively recent non-trial version I might go so far as trying to contact the original developer (Will Lau I believe) and request a registration code.

If anyone can possibly help out, I'd certainly be very grateful!
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    A little bird told me that if you google "snappermail 3.0.2" and look down the page for "maxpda", that you might find something interesting in the second message on that forum.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by trwrt View Post
    A little bird told me that if you google "snappermail 3.0.2" and look down the page for "maxpda", that you might find something interesting in the second message on that forum.
    Thank you!

I am going to try out the fruits of your suggestion when I get back home tonight, and have my fingers crossed tightly that it will work out as hoped!

9.    #9  
    So the upate for anyone interested now or in the future: From my initial tests and setup, Snappermail does in fact address the two issues described above; namely no unnecessary alerts when only old\already-read messages are retrieved, and no limit on size of messages downloaded on sync.

Its biggest detriment is probably the aspect alluded to earlier, the lack of "unobtrusive background sync". Meaning it needs to compeltely turn the device screen on and open the program in the foreground in order to check for new mail. So if you leave your device sitting on a shelf in the living room, you'll see the screen actually turn fully on every half hour (or whenever) to poll for messages. No checking quietly with the screen off.

Considering that the other two issues aren't present though, and also the fact that it can successfully access a couple of newer-configuration IMAP accounts that cause other clients problems, I'll probably be able to live with the relatively minor quirk of forced foregound mail syncing.

Thanks again to all who kindly offered help, much appreciated!
    trwrt likes this.