Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Hi all. I was wondering how many of you think VeriChat is worth the money? For some reason, it seems a little pricey at $20.00 a year. I didn't take full advantage of my trial period, and now I wish I had. Do any of you just have the free Palm MSN client and AIM client that you use instead?
    Originally posted by slwatts
    Hi all. I was wondering how many of you think VeriChat is worth the money? For some reason, it seems a little pricey at $20.00 a year. I didn't take full advantage of my trial period, and now I wish I had. Do any of you just have the free Palm MSN client and AIM client that you use instead?
    It is completely woth it! Every penny. AIM crashes your whole system, PALM MSN is ok, but ugly. Most importantly though with those apps, you have to be in the program to be logged in or receive messages. With verichat, you sign in once, then no matter what app you're in, or even if the phone is off, you still get instant messages via sms. This resembles a desktop client. Also, verichat client incorporates AIM, Yahoo, and MSN (ICQ coming soon)all in one. All that included and the footprint is smaller than AIM palm client alone. Don't take my word for it! Try your own demo today...
    Worth it. I'm a lifetime subscriber.
    Check this thread* for the same question I posted a while ago. And while you are at it, please do a search on Chatter. Although Chatter is only in its "alpha" stage ("beta" will be ready in mid March), it is a great alternative for VeriChat and thus far it is free (I have been testing Chatter and loving it).

*The thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...light=VeriChat

m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Originally posted by m00se
    (I have been testing Chatter and loving it).

m00se
    m00se - don't you find Chatter very slow - I find that the keystrokes or the penstrokes happen very slowly in chatter.
    Darren Greenspoon
    www.allstarsportscamp.ca
    Possibly the killer app of a connected Treo user. Only if you have people you chat with.

I can be on the phone and using SMS via VeriChat I can talk to my vendors while talking to a customer. I also don't feel as 'interupted' when I get a chat request as I do with a phone call.

I use it a bunch when the phone is not appropriate. Great great app. Worth every penny.
    Bottom line - if you're a big IM user, you gotta have Verichat. I don't even use my PC client apps any longer, I just go with Verichat on the phone, all the time. My company is a major IM user, and I'm always there, via Verichat, no matter what I'm really doing.
    My only wish is for 'custom' status messages, on Yahoo, but I've heard they have some really cool new features coming up, so I'm jazzed about the future.

(not to dis Marc Blank here, but I've tried Chatter, albeit VERY briefly, and I don't <think> I like it better than Verichat. IM and e-mail are fundamentally different functions, and I don't think one app can span them both - although many many others who've tried and used Chatter much more heavily than I have, swear by it. So - who knows? To me, the key difference with IM is presence - you ping someone when you see them online, which of course is not the case with e-mail. I probably just didn't give Chatter enough of a look)
    I have been trying out Chatter only for the last few days and I am pretty taken with it. I really do not think at this point that Marc is trying to compete with verichat (I also like verichat).

What chatter does is something I never thought I would be able to do so easily: communicate with multiple contacts across different platforms (Right now, e-mail and IM). The IMAP functionality is really neat and while in Chatter I can answer a message very quickly using a contacts particular IM or e-mail address. For an application just entering its beta stage, its really outstanding.

-Paul C.
    Originally posted by dgreensp

m00se - don't you find Chatter very slow - I find that the keystrokes or the penstrokes happen very slowly in chatter.
    I have been testing Chatter for about 2 weeks now, quite heavily, and the keystrokes are not much of a problem for me. Keep in mind that Marc is constantly making improvements with Chatter. I did write a short review on Chatter (see the link to that thread below*), while Conrad wrote a more comprehensive review (the second link below**), so you might want to read them.
    Regarding e-mail (IMAP) with Chatter, I truly like that because those e-mails work like “push” mail with Chatter, you do not have to fetch e-mails: They simply arrive on your screen!
    Finally, I do own VeriChat and I do like it, but Chatter suits me better. Once Chatter is out you can try it and see for yourself.
    m00se

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=32507

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...hlight=Chatter
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Definately worth it for all the above reasons
    Definately worth it for all the above reasons