1.    #1  
    Anyone got any thoughts as to what's good or bad between the Tungsten W and the Treo 270.....sounds like there is strong support for the Treo 270 over the Palm......

Would you make the move?
    I have not seen a T|W in person, but have read extensively about it. Sounds like a nice device, but I will not make the change. I am too happy with my 270. Have not experienced any of the problems I have read about here (and other places). So far, "it's all good" for me and my 270.

Having said that, I would like to have a SD slot on my 270 (HS: add that feature to the next generation of Treo).
    I hear the phone on the Tungsten is terrible.
    Here are some links to threads in this forum that discuss the new Tungsten W vs. Treo 270 / 300:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ght=tungsten+w

...and more.
    Feel free to use the 'Search' function of this forum!
    A recent Mossberg column in the Wall Street Journal

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20030227.html

said both the lack of a "flip-phone" capability and the clumsiness of the upcoming add-on door workaround make it a no-go as a cell phone. That is a deal killer for me. I need the phone to work as least as well as the Treo, in addition to the PDA and Email capabilities.
    Originally posted by Turok
    Would you make the move?
    I am moving to a Linux machine until such time that a new Treo comes out.

Don't worry, the new Treo should eclipse the Palm...
    www.gsmworld.com
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I am not satisfied with the Tungsten W. We had the chance to test one unit late december, here are my cons:

- too big
    - its a data centric device, not designed for voice
    - talking with the W is only possible with a headset
    - complete SW design is made for a PDA not for a cell phone

I am using a P800 at the moment, waiting for a new Treo :-)

Oliver
    RTFM
  8.    #8  
    Tks for the feedback so far. I am using the Treo270 and must say that it does everything that I need it to do...although a hi-res screen would be nice.

Any rumors regarding a new Treo and timing?
    I just purchased a Tungsten W so I could play with it for a while and formulate my own opinion. I have posted a little info out on palminfocenter:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/forum/...TOPIC_ID=12107

I will post some more feedback out here soon.
  10.    #10  
    Great - look forward to hearing more about it.....hasn't hit the streets over here yet but next week they are due to hit the stores and can't wait to play with it......use a Treo270 at the moment - interesting to see how it compares (apart from the screen).

What is the phone component of it like? This seems to be an area that initial reviews focus on - compared to the Treo?
    I was so impresed after reading everything aboout the T/W. So I went to store take a look and I lost all my interest instantly, because it is too big, too heavy and too thick, and if you are not an AT&T user then you are out of luck. I am so disappointed.
    Originally posted by tumbler
    I was so impresed after reading everything aboout the T/W. So I went to store take a look and I lost all my interest instantly, because it is too big, too heavy and too thick, and if you are not an AT&T user then you are out of luck. I am so disappointed.
    I don't think you're being fair to the TW. I have owned many devices (most recently P800, Treo 270, & RIM 6710) and feel that the TW is proving to be the best convergence device out their. I feel that the size is very reasonable and the weight is acceptable. The screen and keyboard are the most usable out there, add the Palm OS and you have a real winner. The biggest downfall is having to use the corded headset. Give it a try, I promise it will grow on you!

PS. I purchased the unlocked version and use it with T-Mobile.
    Originally posted by Turok
    Great - look forward to hearing more about it.....hasn't hit the streets over here yet but next week they are due to hit the stores and can't wait to play with it......use a Treo270 at the moment - interesting to see how it compares (apart from the screen).

What is the phone component of it like? This seems to be an area that initial reviews focus on - compared to the Treo?
    The phone functionality is almost identical to the Treo. However, I like the phone interface on the TW a little better - it looks cleaner and avoids the garish colors etc. A bit more professional looking..
    add the Palm OS and you have a real winner
    I was under the impression thw TW was NOT OS-5 - am I wrong ?
    When you have the Samsung SGH-i500 ?

See topic under General Forum
    Originally posted by halperin

I was under the impression thw TW was NOT OS-5 - am I wrong ?
    Halperin

You would be correct.

Personally, I think Palm missed something there. I would expect the new Treo to be sporting OS5.2 which would also mean ARM. This alone would open up Treos potential functionality - functionality which the rather dated DragonBall simply can't cope with.
    Last edited by nzmoko; 03/17/2003 at 08:45 AM.
    www.gsmworld.com
    I am in the process of returning the Tungsten W. Very disappointed with several things. First, the earbud to use the phone is just crazy. Palm failed to research the competition well. The first voice capable Blackbery, 5810 had the same design (ear bud) and they received tons on compliants. Their latest model is the 6710 which included internal mic and speakers. Secondly, I tried to get an unlock code from Palm and AT&T but neither would give it to me. Palm stated they will be coming out with another version to work with other vendors instead of just ATT. I don't think he understood, there is no way they can create a model for every GSM provider around. Nonetheless, they won't give me the code, hence I'm returning the phone.

HDavidson, where did you pick up your unlock model?