Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rnp
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Sometimes, I'm just wondering, is that possible to re-build a palm treo 680 with new components to make it thinner, faster?
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_1979 View Post
    Sometimes, I'm just wondering, is that possible to re-build a palm treo 680 with new components to make it thinner, faster?
    I think you would run into some software limitations based on the new hardware. PalmOS is built for that device and recognizes it's components based on communication with the ram, modem, motherboard, etc. If the OS meets unknown hardware (say from a Palm Pre or any webOS device for argument sake) it would not be able to communicate with it any more than it could talk to a turkey sandwich. If you like the PalmOS interface you could try out the app Classic PalmOS emulator returns to webOS 2.1 thanks to yet more homebrew ingenuity | webOS Nation and use a webOS device.
    ahaha, i was just thinking about this, since the 680 and 650 have so much room inside.

I'm sure its possible, but likely too difficult. Making it thinner would require heavily modding the casing itself.

I've been trying to make a PalmOS 650 completely usable for me, but it keeps crashing trying to sync my EAS stuff in the hacked-on Versamail 4.

Worth mentioning that you can overclock the 680 I believe.

The best shot we have would be using some other phone in a Treo casing.

It's also worth noting that there is a PalmOS emulator for iOS (jailbroken), Android, and Windows Mobile, under the name StyleTap.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Yup, it's easier and more sane to write an emulator like Classic on top of a modern linux-based OS, this way you're not locked into specific hardware or Garnet's software limitations (lack of multi-core CPU support), etc
    I miss the Documents To Go 11 for Palm OS...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    xandros9 likes this.
    Me too

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Making a thinner casing is definetly possible. If you hack a bit around with the internals of your Palm device you can achieve that. But you'd have to write drivers to support new hardware (if at all possible).
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    I think you would run into some software limitations based on the new hardware. PalmOS is built for that device and recognizes it's components based on communication with the ram, modem, motherboard, etc. If the OS meets unknown hardware (say from a Palm Pre or any webOS device for argument sake) it would not be able to communicate with it any more than it could talk to a turkey sandwich. If you like the PalmOS interface you could try out the app Classic PalmOS emulator returns to webOS 2.1 thanks to yet more homebrew ingenuity | webOS Nation and use a webOS device.
    Thanks, no new hardware at very beginning, just do some kind of optimization to reduce the size of the device. If possible, do some hardware exchange or upgrade. I have a palm pre plus, webos is cool, but I like PalmOS more.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    ahaha, i was just thinking about this, since the 680 and 650 have so much room inside.

I'm sure its possible, but likely too difficult. Making it thinner would require heavily modding the casing itself.

I've been trying to make a PalmOS 650 completely usable for me, but it keeps crashing trying to sync my EAS stuff in the hacked-on Versamail 4.

Worth mentioning that you can overclock the 680 I believe.

The best shot we have would be using some other phone in a Treo casing.

It's also worth noting that there is a PalmOS emulator for iOS (jailbroken), Android, and Windows Mobile, under the name StyleTap.
    Thanks, buddy, that's really what I thought, just optimize it, maybe change the headset jack to 3.5mm as well.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Yup, it's easier and more sane to write an emulator like Classic on top of a modern linux-based OS, this way you're not locked into specific hardware or Garnet's software limitations (lack of multi-core CPU support), etc
    Thanks, I have a treo 680 , some problems on microphone, it's idle now, just want to reuse the mainboard, and design new keyboard and cases, maybe new high volume battery as well, to give it second life, a new life.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Making a thinner casing is definetly possible. If you hack a bit around with the internals of your Palm device you can achieve that. But you'd have to write drivers to support new hardware (if at all possible).
    Thanks, yes, I know new hardware will make it so complex, so for now, I just want to optimize the casing, then will upgrade battery, keyboard, SD card slot, SIM card slot, maybe headset jack....
    It is nice to see people remembering and still using the good old Treo 680. I often have such nostalgia. I particularly miss Callrec on Treo 680.

But I have a feeling that it will be extremely difficult for someone today to modify that hardware and integrate a software with it. Better to forget the good-old-friend.

I sold off my Treo 680 on Ebay about 2 years ago, before it gets very difficult to sell.
    Palm III> Visor> Visorphone> Treo 180> 270> 600> 650> 680> Centro> HTC Tilt> BB-8310> Pixi-Plus> Pre 3
    Touchpad 16GB
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_1979 View Post
    Thanks, buddy, that's really what I thought, just optimize it, maybe change the headset jack to 3.5mm as well.
    Don't know about the 680, but there's a site still up, I think it's called Treo Tricks, and there's a couple cool hacks there for the 650. IIRC, one was replacing the 2.5 mm jack with a 3.5 mm jack, although the case would no longer fit together, adding a 3.5 mm jack to the antennae (which I want to pull off someday), and adding a lanyard loop.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive