1.    #1  
    What is wrong with Agendus?
    I really dont know why this should be so difficult?
    Let me try to understand this : -

1 - The default PhoneBook app that came with my Treo 270 alows me find a Contact just by typing the first letter of the first name and then some of the second name . . . ('jham' would quickly find John Hamilton for instance). This is good . . but Agendus DOESN'T do this! Why not? Why is Agendus 'inferior' in this respect?

2 - Anyway, having found the contact I want, the default PhoneBook app that came with my Treo 270 alows me to use the jog-dial to select which number I wish to use and then dial it by pressing the jog-dial (an ESSENTIAL one-handed operation which even the cheapest little mobile phone will emulate). This is good . . but Agendus DOESN'T do this! Why not? Instead, Agendus forces me to stop walking . . put down my briefcase and the roll of drawings tucked under my arm, sit down, pull out the little stylus and then tap away at the screen to dial!!!!!!!!!!!! Are they serious? Its meant to be a mobile device, for use out walking or in the car or sitting in a pub or restaurant.

I was driving home tonight and my wife called me on my Treo and asked me to book a restaurant. As it was dark in the car I double clicked the power button to bring on the backlight. "This Treo is great" I thought to myself as the display lit up. I entered 'Ant' for Antonios and suddenly remembered that the default PhoneBook app wouldn't find a 'company' . . . "so thats what I bought Agendus for!!!" I smiled to myself as I switched to Agendus (all still a one-handed operation at this point),

I entered 'Ant' again and smiled as Agendus went straight to Antonios. I pushed the jog-dial to start dialing and it went into ****ing 'contact edit' mode!!!! After a few pointless pushes at the jog-dial I realised I was going to have to stop the car and get the stylus out and tap away at the screen just to phone a restaurant!! This is NOT acceptable. Would someone PLEASE tell me how to find a Company contact and then dial the number in Agendus using the jog-dial (ie one-handed) . . or am I going to have to buy MORE software (TakePhone or Fingerdial or whatever) just to make a phone call to a Company contact? I am getting really fed up with this Treo. I just wanted to combine my mobile phone and my Palm Vx and I thought the Treo could do that.
    Well, you can dial directly from Agendus with only one hand. Even if I wouldn't recommend it while driving!

Select your contact, then tap with your finger on the phone number. A window will open, asking you if you want to dial the selected contact.
    The truth is that you can dial only the first mobile number listed for your contact. If s/he has more than one, then you can't select a different one.

That's the reason why I'm using FingerDial (www.fingerclick.com).
    Easier, more user-friendly, you can easily select which phone number to dial... and safer while driving!
  3.    #3  
    Maybe I am not explaining myself very well? I would like the JOG-DIAL functionality that the default Treo app has! Holding the phone with one habd whilst tapping with fingers on the other hand is a two-handed deal!

I have tried them all (as far as I can tell) . . and my ratings (from 1* to 5*) is as follows : -

* FINGERDIAL
    Painfully slow search. No ability to use jog dial to make cals so its a two-handed app - No use.

* CONTACTS 4
    Pretty . . . but pretty useless though . . jog dial doesn't scroll nor does it dial! Pointless . . . . a two-handed app . . no use.

*****TAKEPHONE
    I really quite like this one. Nice fast search . . the jog-dial works and my Treo peed-Dials are there (although the @time and @date would be nice if they worked as intended). plus the Call History is really good (sorely missed from the frontline in the GPRS upgrade phonebook app) BUT I still like the colour Speed-dial buttons in the Treo's default phonebook App. I find TakPhone's graphics too dull plus I dont like the way I cant have it always automaticaly start in Speed-dial view like the defualt Phonebook app does. The full screen search view is great though. I will buy and use this if the graphics get a bit slicker like CONTACTS 4 or Agendus . . . a great opportunity for this developer and I would pay lots if he can get it looking a bit more polished but I just dont like it enough yet.

** CONTACTS PRO
    Blindingly fast search . . . and the jog dial does work for dialling (although you have to click through a couple dialogues so it isn't as 'clean' and obvious as the defualt phonebook app) . . . . but I dont like the blurry blue buttons, and the graphics are generally pretty poor IMHO and if I assign my PhoneBook button to Contacts Pro then how do I get to my Speed-Dial list? There isn't one in Contacts Pro.

*** TEALPHONE
    Nice . .slick . . professional looking. The large display at the top is nice but it should show the Company name as well as the number!! I dont actually need to know the number if the app is dialling for me . . its the Contact name I need to see. Nothing in Preferences as far as i can see. Searches by Name or Company BUT you need to toggle between these options with tiny little icons at the bottom so its still not a one handed job! Dialling generally seems tricky . . needs manually configured as far as I can tell? The jog-dial scrolls but doesn't seem to dial? So its definately a two-handed app - No use to me. . but extra star for looking nice . . . I wish TakePhone looked more like this.

***** Agendus (yes I know its not just a 'Phone app'!)
    Apologies to Agendus for my earlier ranting . . . its professional looking and works a treat . . it integrates my Contacts To-Dos and Appointments and I have become really used to its interface now. Plus I have paid for it so I am keeping it as my cornerstone app!! . . I just wish they would add a jog-dial dialling feature PLUS automatic immediate switching from whatever view I am in to 'contacts search' mode as soon as i start typing letters . . PLUS a pretty Speed-dial page like the default Treo phonebook has . . . . . . . I will be very happy then!

Keep up the good work Agendus people!
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Although I cannot speak to Agendus. I would recommend that you try the new beta version of TakePhone 5.04 ( http://www.shsh.com/beta/ ) if you haven't already. It starts with a view of the built in speed dial. Although not the actual speed dial app - I actually like it better. It even adds features like SMS integration which was a huge plus for me as well. IMO, the graphics are a bit sharper and the app has a much sharper appearence than version 4 did.

The only thing I miss is the @time and @date that you already mentioned. That said, I worked around it by mapping CityTime to one of the buttons for quick access.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Originally posted by JHETZEL
    The only thing I miss is the @time and @date that you already mentioned. That said, I worked around it by mapping CityTime to one of the buttons for quick access.
    In the next BETA build, you will be able to set the date & time to appear at the form's title.
    This way you can use an extra two speed-dial cells...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    WOW!

What is wrong with Agendus? Nothing. It doesn't do what you want. Its like your screaming at the TV thinking they actually hear you.

Agendus is a great non phone enabled PDA app. Best scheduling functionality I have seen on a Palm. As for dialers..

Contacts Pro 4 is really nice.

TakePhone is really good BUT.... The developer has a problem when you hang up the phone. It pops you back to the built in dialer not TakePhone. You will probably not like that at all given your opinion of Agendus.

Contacts Pro is pretty weak but check it out.

I am glad you love your Treo. Hopefully most of us do. But software developers who want to sell their product need lots of customers. Not that many Treo's have been sold in comparison to other handhelds thus making phone enabled software limited.

I think I personally purchased everything that works with the Treo. I love TCRinger but stick to version 1.0.1. The others have major problems. Verichat is really nice if you have instant messaging desires.

Good luck
    Originally posted by computerfixitguy
    TakePhone is really good BUT.... The developer has a problem when you hang up the phone. It pops you back to the built in dialer not TakePhone. You will probably not like that at all given your opinion of Agendus.
    Are there other apps like TAKEphONE that does NOT go back to the built-in dialer after you hangup ?

I would really like to know...
    Shimon Shnitzer
  8.    #8  
    Well I think I gave TakePhone a pretty good rating . . . . . . . but I was honest about the bits I dont like . . . . call me a stlye-snob but Palm software developers could learn a lot from Apples 'form before function' approach (ie. people will pay a premium for a sleek interface - hence Agendus success).

. . . . anyway, TakePhones BIGGEST advantage by a long way is that the developer clearly reads this forum and takes a great interest in developing the software . . . . that reason alone makes it worth buying . . . now where did put that credit card?

Keep up the good work Shimon.
    Thanks !

I agree looks ARE important (they affect usability as well as draw users to buy).

Well - I am a developer, and we (at least the WINTEL guys) tend to be too techi to have graphic skills...

Can you (or anyone else) pinpoint something in the screens design you would fix ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Looks are overrated but an elegant interface is not. If any of you have used a PocketPC for a few minutes. Their scheduler is really slick and Agendus is the closest to that we Palm OS users have.

Agendus gets the idea of a small screen. TakePhone gets the idea of one finger interface very well. I could be way off base here, but doesn't the new SDK from Handspring allow for really deep control of the dialer so you can return to the calling application. If I read it right, it would require some real retooling of the code which is a pain in the ***. I could have been really tired when I picked that up.

I love TakePhone regardless of the interface but pretty is nicer. I gets the job done with the least amount of grief. Grief is the worst thing. If I have to spend too much time tweaking then the product is not ready.

C