Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just love this phone (treo 300), but it's just not comfortable to use as a phone because of the way you have to flip it open to talk on. And then it just looks huge.
    I didn't realize how silly it looked until my brother did his impersonation of me using the phone:
    He picked up a cd jewel case, opened it and talked into it like it was a phone. I laughed because it was so damned funny, but that's what I feel like with this thing opened up. It would be great if only you could talk without having to open it up.

--End of anecdote--

;P
    Jeff
    Just use it as a speaker-phone; then you look like you're using a communicator from the orignal series of Star Trek.

Beam me up, Scotty...

Hmm... I guess this wouldn't make you look LESS silly...

Regards,
    --Mathew
  3.    #3  
    Ha! that's exactly what it looks like on speaker phone. Start Trek.
    Maybe I'll give one of these headsets a shot:
    http://www.handspring.com/products/C...html?ID=230007

Anyone else got a fav headset?
    Hey Carbon271 - you should already have one of those headsets. They're included in the box with the Treo, unless yours was missing, or you inherited the handset from a previous owner.

I actually don't like the included headset much because I speak rather quietly and it doesn't pick up my squeaky voice. I'm one of those annoying people who holds the speaker bobble up to my mouth so it looks like I'm whispering sweet nothings to a large plastic bean. I've tried a number of aftermarket boom-style headsets, but they don't sound good (humming on the other end). Of course, maybe that's because they've tended to be Wal-Mart or Target store-brand headsets that claim only marginal compatibility with Nokia 3200/8000 series ...

I like the speakerphone, though. That's my usual mode of operation, when I'm not in the public eye (more for reasons of privacy than caring about whether or not I look like a dork -- er, I mean a Trekkie). Tee hee.
    Originally posted by Bbonnn
    I like the speakerphone, though. That's my usual mode of operation, when I'm not in the public eye (more for reasons of privacy than caring about whether or not I look like a dork -- er, I mean a Trekkie). Tee hee.

When I'm using speakerphone I look like a cool Trekker, not a dorky "Trekkie"...

Regards,
    --Mathew
    I don't think it looks that big.....maybe you just have a tiny head.
    Ya I've gotten the same reaction from some of my Nokia cell friends. They stop laughing and get really quiet when I ask them if they can check their email, surf the net or provide wireless access to a laptop with their phones.
    My first reaction was to how big the thing was. I'm used to it now, but it really does look like you're talking into a jewel case..
    The first thing one of my friends did when he saw it was to open up his laptop and hold it to his head. He said, "see i can surf with mine too." It was pretty funny.

The "ear window" aside, it is actually a lot smaller and more convenient than carrying around a phone and a PDA.
    only those who have never used a treo and therefore do not know how great it is make fun of it! Actually most of my friends, now want to get a treo!
  11.    #11  
    lol.. Those are funny stories of reactions from friends. Yeah I get the same "holy sh*t!" reaction when I check my email right in front of them. I also love to watch them shut the hell up when I web surf to get the weather, movie times, news etc. that they want. I think I've sold quite a few people on this thing. Someone should be paying me for this!
    post more stories if you all have em.

Jeff
    I spray painted in my protective window a nice shiny silver. The window makes no sense. Who uses the treo with the protective window down ever? All you have access to is the 6 hard buttons. Its a flaw in the design to me. And besides, when you use it like a phone its a window to your ear canal and looks absolutely crazy. To top that off, it gets nice and greasy from your ear. Some of my friends used to say its my "ear grease phone". The next generation Treo won't have this I'm sure.
    Originally posted by brion1234
    I spray painted in my protective window a nice shiny silver. The window makes no sense. Who uses the treo with the protective window down ever? All you have access to is the 6 hard buttons. Its a flaw in the design to me. And besides, when you use it like a phone its a window to your ear canal and looks absolutely crazy. To top that off, it gets nice and greasy from your ear. Some of my friends used to say its my "ear grease phone". The next generation Treo won't have this I'm sure.

I use mine all the time; when I pull it out to see if I have new email for instance, I don't have to open the lid. Since I can check email just by pressing one of these six buttons, it works perfectly. Additionally, I bring up the "Today" main screen by pressing a different one of those buttons, thus gaining me access to scheduling / To do info for the day without opening the lid.

On should not let one's lack of imagination be the determinate factor in making claims about "flaw[s] in the design."

regards,
    --Mathew
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by mathewlu

I use mine all the time; when I pull it out to see if I have new email for instance, I don't have to open the lid. Since I can check email just by pressing one of these six buttons, it works perfectly. Additionally, I bring up the "Today" main screen by pressing a different one of those buttons, thus gaining me access to scheduling / To do info for the day without opening the lid.

On should not let one's lack of imagination be the determinate factor in making claims about "flaw[s] in the design."

regards,
    --Mathew
    Matt, let me see you use your "imagination" to talk on this phone without opening the lid before proclaiming it's my lack of imagination that is the problem.

;P
    Jeff
    Originally posted by Carbon71

Matt, let me see you use your "imagination" to talk on this phone without opening the lid before proclaiming it's my lack of imagination that is the problem.

;P
    Jeff
    That's a non-sequitor. The poster, brion1234 (are you posting under two different accounts?), asked: "Who uses the treo with the protective window down ever?" And I answered that I do. Then he made a claim that the window was a design flaw; presumably because he could not imagine anybody using that feature. Well I gave two examples of why the feature was in fact useful.

Just because the feature in question is not useful for making phone calls is irrelevant. One might just as well claim that the stylus is not required to make a phone call, so it is not useful. Clearly, and without exaggeration, the problem was a literal lack of imagination ("Who ever uses...?").

Regards,
    --Mathew

BTW, one can do exactly what you suggest--talk without opening the lid--by using a headset.
    actually, i use mine with the window closed all the time, though the reason is kind of silly. i have splashphoto programmed to the notepad hardbutton which i don't use... so when i hit that button with the treo closed, my hitchhiker's guide 'don't panic' screen comes up (see avatar).

hey, if some folks can fantasize that they are talking into a star trek communicator/fazer, i can play hitchhiker's guide... its a neat way to start the ooohs and aaaahs when showing off my treo!
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Also, how are you supposed to see who is calling if you paint the lid. Might as well get rid of caller ID then. I would die without seeing who was calling before opening the lid. (Like ignoring the call when my ex-wife calls). Not to mention just hitting the power button to turn on the light to see what time it is. I think it would be terrible to block the lid.
    Dude ..do yourself a favor and buy a jabra wireless mic for non bluetooth phones. I bought mine on the internet for $127 total..its awesome..it works seamlessly..and gets n opposite reaction..the wow factor is great and u don't look stupid with the big lid to your ear...trust me it works..and don't spray paint your window like that other dude...that's the dumbest thing I ever heard...ever hear of the jog dial?...peace
    One option for Handspring would be to put the speaker hole right between the handspring logo and the "treo". Then, put the mic hole between and below the phone and datebook buttons. This way, the treo could be used as a phone either open or closed. Answering/hanging up in flip closed mode could be accomplished by tapping the power button.

I read that the samsung i700 allegedly has the speaker and mic holes on the reverse side of the phone so the screen is facing away when talking on the phone and thus wouldn't get smudged.

And BTW, I buy $1200 of groceries from Sams Club every Monday. With HandyShopper I never have to open the lid as I use the hardware todo button to check off items. Blazering is functional with lid closed but I'm a slow reader. Would be nice if one could set the lid closed backlight to go off in 3 minutes.

Further, who cares what you look like talking with the lid open? I just tried and I couldn't fit a CD into my treo, but it did fit in a jewel case. When everyone in your company comes to you when they need some tidbit of information like the phone number for the plumber or admin password for one of the computers, that's power.
    David
    I spray painted in my protective window a nice shiny silver. The window makes no sense. Who uses the treo with the protective window down ever?
    I use Datebook on a regular basis with the lid down. Using the jog dial to navigate, I can see today's appointments and cycle through the coming days without opening the lid. Quite handy at meetings.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast