Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just take a dremil tool and grind the protective window out - now you have the best of both worlds. I don't care how big it is - short of laptop size - I no longer have to find the PDA and then find the phone and be sure both are charged up and do some black magic sync thing with the pda and do another black magic sync thing with the phone - I love it. I DO wish that the volume on the speaker mode was actually loud enough to hear over the ambient noise in my pickup truck going down the road.

Ron
    i had owned a casseiopia pda a couple of years ago but never got in the habit of carrying it because i always had to carry a phone and pager and the pda.

now that everything is together, and i work with a web based calendar that syncs to all, i can't imagine being without this or something very similar...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by aarons12
    i had owned a casseiopia pda a couple of years ago but never got in the habit of carrying it because i always had to carry a phone and pager and the pda.

now that everything is together, and i work with a web based calendar that syncs to all, i can't imagine being without this or something very similar...
    Off topic, but nonetheless: what web based calendar system do you use?

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Originally posted by Carbon71
    I just love this phone (treo 300), but it's just not comfortable to use as a phone because of the way you have to flip it open to talk on. And then it just looks huge.
    f
    I think it looks funny when I see big ol' burly men holding these tiny little phones up to their heads - something just looks wrong.

In relation to previous cellphones the Treo is very small. Remember the grey bricks from the 80's?
    One of the coolest things about a treo is walking into a meeting with the lid flipped open and scanning for signs of intelligent life.

"No sign of sentient lifeforms, Bones."

HEH HEH HEH HEH
    Originally posted by drw
    Would be nice if one could set the lid closed backlight to go off in 3 minutes.
    I believe that can be done programmatically.

hsPrefLidClosedAutoOffSeconds, // UInt16 : Number of seconds for auto-off when the lid is closed.

Buttons-T would be a nice place to add it, since code-wise it's pretty similar to what he does already. But they don't have the source on their site, so instead of adding it myself.. I'm posting this message
    Originally posted by intractv

I think it looks funny when I see big ol' burly men holding these tiny little phones up to their heads - something just looks wrong.

In relation to previous cellphones the Treo is very small. Remember the grey bricks from the 80's?
    hey, my first cel phone was the size of a hardcover book and had a carry handle and a separate handset...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  8.    #28  
    Originally posted by Bruce Coe
    One of the coolest things about a treo is walking into a meeting with the lid flipped open and scanning for signs of intelligent life.

"No sign of sentient lifeforms, Bones."

HEH HEH HEH HEH
    LOL. I'm afraid I'm going to have to steal that for use at the next meeting at work.
    Silly was before I got my Treo 300 I had a cell phone, Blackberry and Trao 90. I was always beeping or ringing and grabbing for one device or another. Now I grab for one. I have had many more envy comments than jibes.....
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I still think it's pretty funny how people are so worried what strangers think of their phone.

I could care less. I love the thing.

Someone compared it to a jewel case... that's like comparing an LG 5250 to the Treo.

I don't need other people to validate my choices in life.
    This is a great thread!

Several months ago, our company flew all the IT managers into a central location for a meeting... i come walking in thinking I'm going to be the "cool" propeller head and whip out my treo300 to make a call, flip it open and start talking ... then from the other side of the room came a shot:

"Hey, Dude, were they all out of the Super Jumbo sized phones?"

The room broke out into histerical laughter -- including myself!

I am now known in the company as the guy with the "portable desktop phone".

Ha!
    Originally posted by dmiller444
    Silly was before I got my Treo 300 I had a cell phone, Blackberry and Trao 90. I was always beeping or ringing and grabbing for one device or another. Now I grab for one. I have had many more envy comments than jibes.....
    back in the days of paper notes (gasp!) I had a master list to keep track of my lists. I've had the treo only 3 months and I no longer view it as something cool. It's beyond cool. It's like my foot. It's not cool, it's part of me and I use it, that's all. It's just sooo functional and perfect for me at work when people spew information for me to remember I thumb it down and regardless of what kind of information it is I'm filing it in an appropriate location so I don't have to "re-work" it later.
    David
    Originally posted by njchris
    I don't need other people to validate my choices in life.
    That's a good point, and it shouldn't matter even for Thera owners. If they love the thera, they shouldn't care that its a brick. They should use it proudly.

I'm shy and thus don't show off my expensive purchases. When people do notice and say, "hey, what's that new device you got?" I respond "oh, this ol' thing, I've had it for a couple a weeks now" The treo is smaller/lighter than my previous kyo 6035, it's color, and the best part is the thumbpad. I'm actually glad the kyo 7135 didn't come out earlier than it did.
    David
    So it doesn't bother me that i look silly. I've always used a headset or in ear mic since back when i had my Touchpoint 3000.
    There's always some point when i want to take notes while i'm speaking, or look up another phone number for someone, it's what they made it for!

It's amusing to no end when people think you're talking to yourself. It works better if you have an in ear mic, or really long hair, like me. ^^
    i just smile and wave or make a face.

Never had anyone insult the phone's size, just people who think i'm nuts to spend that much money on a phone.
    I wouldn't have i any other way. Paying $400 for a palm AND $200 on average for a phone, doesn't make sense to me.
    i couldn't update my website on a regular phone, i wouldn't stand for having to scroll through all the letters.
    I'm slowly mastering not having so many tiny keypad typos.
    Go me!

i'm also easily seduced by shiny new gadgets, but aren't most of us here?
    Eryn Tzun
    tzun.com
    I'm just an ignorant warrior who believes that love means you're willing to fight and die for your fellow living beings.
    Originally posted by Carbon71
    I didn't realize how silly it looked until my brother did his impersonation of me using the phone:
    He picked up a cd jewel case, opened it and talked into it like it was a phone.
    Jeff

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!! This is HILARIOUS!!!! Thanks for sharing...

-Yvonne
    Originally posted by eryntzun
    i couldn't update my website on a regular phone
    What software are you using to do that?
    David
    Originally posted by drw
    What software are you using to do that?
    i visited her site and i think she uses magic! i'm in love big time!!
    I embedded Live Journal into my website. Now that i have a full web enabled phone, save the java, i can update my front page from anywhere. It's nifty, although i can't quite use all the LJ options yet. I'm hoping the admins will fix that soon.

I can post alright and change emotions, but i cannot change the icon or i get a bad data error. It has to be the browser, but i'm not sure.

It doesn't matter too much for those people that read it from within the site, but for those on my Journal List, it very confusing when the icon is a cheerful and my mood is not. LOL

i was really hoping there'd be an FTP program, but this phone does not support digital camera hook up. An MP3 player would be nice too, but it won't track my bills or take notes then. lol
    It's enough that it acts as my back up brain.

i was testing the IM program this morning talking to my friend in MSN, he searched and found a stable IRC program for me to try. Haven't installed it yet. Was too tired to go over and turn the computer on.

Handspring Treo 300 = You beings lazy *******
    Eryn Tzun
    tzun.com
    I'm just an ignorant warrior who believes that love means you're willing to fight and die for your fellow living beings.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12