Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so I've looked at snappermail and it does look like a great program. I'd really like to be able to use it. However, it doesn't look like it is capable of recieving corporate email unless you can access that email via a POP account.

In my office, we use outlook. We can access our email while at work, or remotely using an outlook web server app. There is no way, (i'm told), to access the account via POP.

I was going to try to solve this problem by forwarding certain emails to a fastmail account, and setting that account up with my treo....however, our office has disabled internet forwarding filters for protection from viruses.

Any ideas?
    Well, you could get this utility for about $100 and get your IT department to take 5 minutes for the install and then you (using your browser of choice) and them will be really happy.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I agree that SnapperMail is a great program, but for Outlook/Exchange Mail you could try BaseJet (www.basejet.com). Basejet is still in their free beta period so you can try it without cost. I have been using it for five months or so and have been very impressed with it.

BaseJet works for as long as you have a PC on your corporate network.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Any chance they give you VPN access?

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    Originally posted by JHETZEL
    I agree that SnapperMail is a great program, but for Outlook/Exchange Mail you could try BaseJet (www.basejet.com). Basejet is still in their free beta period so you can try it without cost. I have been using it for five months or so and have been very impressed with it.

BaseJet works for as long as you have a PC on your corporate network.
    Your statements aren't completely accurate. Snappermail supports POP/SMTP very well and will therefore work great wih Outlook/Exchange. Basejet does read IMAP files but it is not yet compliant with the IMAP RFC standard. Secondly, for whatever it is worth, Basejet has been in beta for over a year and the last functional enhancement occured some months ago. I, for one, am not particularly comfortable that they will every get a product to production. Lastely, Basejet does work very well in stand-alone mode; you do not need to use a PC for e-mail access.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Hey Will:

I am registered to your client, and only use it for my yahoo. However, would having VPN access allow me to access my corporate account with Snapper in any way? My company has OWA VPN Accounts setup for us, but cannot be accessed via treo since there are not any browsers that can really handle frames, etc.

I would greatly appreciate it if you can please let me know if there is a way. Many thanks for a great product!

Glenn
    Originally posted by glenng

<snip>
    My company has OWA VPN Accounts setup for us, but cannot be accessed via treo since there are not any browsers that can really handle frames, etc.

>snip>
    You can with this and you have complete access to everything you have with OWA.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Maniac8888:

Thanks for the suggestion. My only problem is that I work for a really big company, and I don't think I can ask them to install something on the server for my treo. They usually deploy Blackberry's for the top exec's.

And, I am not sure how the corporate e-mail works completely, but I know that it is POP/SMTP, yet I can not find out the respective addresses. Is there any way?

Thanks for all the help.

Glenn
    Originally posted by glenng
    Hey Will:

I am registered to your client, and only use it for my yahoo. However, would having VPN access allow me to access my corporate account with Snapper in any way? My company has OWA VPN Accounts setup for us, but cannot be accessed via treo since there are not any browsers that can really handle frames, etc.
    It depends if your company allows POP access into its email servers. We've been testing the Mergic VPN client for compatibility and it works well. www.mergic.com

I know people at Kyocera Wireless are using SnapperMail + Mergic VPN with great success to access their mail on their 7135s

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

with the new quickoffice, I seem to be able to open word attachments, but i cant seem to create them and send outbound in doc format.
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Maniac8888

Your statements aren't completely accurate. Snappermail supports POP/SMTP very well and will therefore work great wih Outlook/Exchange. Basejet does read IMAP files but it is not yet compliant with the IMAP RFC standard. Secondly, for whatever it is worth, Basejet has been in beta for over a year and the last functional enhancement occured some months ago. I, for one, am not particularly comfortable that they will every get a product to production. Lastely, Basejet does work very well in stand-alone mode; you do not need to use a PC for e-mail access.
    My statements were based on the original question in this thread which was how to access corporate exchange. Although it is true that Basejet has not updated its currentt beta version in some months, the current offering does an excellent job with Exchange with a PC connected to the corporate network. I use it daily and am very satisfied with it. Basejet does support standalone POP access, but my experience has been with the corporate e-mail offering.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Originally posted by JHETZEL

<snip>

Basejet does support standalone POP access, but my experience has been with the corporate e-mail offering.
    OK, but that is not what you said in your post ("BaseJet works for as long as you have a PC on your corporate network.").
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Thanks Will, for the suggestion about Mergic. I'll talk to the IT guy.

Glenn
    I asked my IT Support if they would be willing to install the utility on top of Outlook Web Access or help me to make Mergic work with my Treo. They glazed at me and asked why I couldn't simply use POP.

Turns out they've enabled POP on our Exchange 2002 server for months already. Took me 5 minutes to get SnapperMail to access it. Of course I need to use another SMTP server for sending email (for those that are also in France with SFR, it's mail.sfr.net), but this SMTP server allows to set my corporate email as Sender so recipients don't see any difference.

Let me know if you want me to check how our IT enabled POP on the Exchange server.
    Originally posted by Mol
    I asked my IT Support if they would be willing to install the utility on top of Outlook Web Access or help me to make Mergic work with my Treo. They glazed at me and asked why I couldn't simply use POP.

Turns out they've enabled POP on our Exchange 2002 server for months already. Took me 5 minutes to get SnapperMail to access it. Of course I need to use another SMTP server for sending email (for those that are also in France with SFR, it's mail.sfr.net), but this SMTP server allows to set my corporate email as Sender so recipients don't see any difference.

Let me know if you want me to check how our IT enabled POP on the Exchange server.
    Enabling POP with Exchange is actually quite ease. It is just an admin setting. The interesting thing to me is that your IT department was willing to open a Firewall port for POP apparently without a VPN. Good for you though. it will work fine this way and Snappermail will work like a charm.
    Can you help how to check whether my company's system has opened the access for POP? I also work for a very big company which the IT dept is always busy with zillions of other things .. Thanks
    Originally posted by ryker
    Can you help how to check whether my company's system has opened the access for POP? I also work for a very big company which the IT dept is always busy with zillions of other things .. Thanks
    the easiest way (and maybe the only way) is to ask.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    You can figure out if the port os wide open by simply telnetting to your e-mail server on port 110. Useally, you would run a command line like: telnet mail.mycompany.com 110. If your server has POP enabled and there's no firewall blocking it, you'll see a message that you've connected to the server for POP access and it's ready to accept your input.
    Most sys admins when they enable POP3 on their Exchange servers use an alternate port. Dunno if there's a common port they default to but usually it's not 110.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

Originally posted by Maniac8888

Enabling POP with Exchange is actually quite ease. It is just an admin setting. The interesting thing to me is that your IT department was willing to open a Firewall port for POP apparently without a VPN. Good for you though. it will work fine this way and Snappermail will work like a charm.
    The main reason they enabled POP is for our Professional Services people who kept on having problems accessing their email when they were at some of our customers. Their firewalls prevented us from using the VPN that we normally use to access Exchange with Outlook.

Only remaining problem I have is that a lot of my colleagues are using XP with Outlook 2002, which by default uses Word as the editor. You won't believe the amount of HTML tags I have to wade through every day ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast