Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm not replacing my Treo guys. I like the Treo 300 a lot. I just bought the Sanyo 4900 to add to my current plan, and finally got a chance to compare the Treo against another SprintPCS phone.

I'm in my office right now, and the Sanyo 4900 is showing that I have 4 bars. I never get more than 1 bar in my office w/ the Treo.

Plus, I found a USB/charger cable for the Sanyo 4900 on eBay, and got my laptop connected to the web painlessly. I'm seeing 90Kbps from my concrete surrounded office. I'm talking true 90Kbps (I tried FTPing something to my laptop).

I'm not sure why the reception on the Treo is so bad compared to this Sanyo 4900, but this is something they really ought to fix. Perhaps this is why the Treo's battery life is so bad. The Sanyo 4900 has a battery life of 4-5 hours talk-time, which is superb even when compared to other non-PDA phones.
    Phones differ so much on radio receptivity and you cannot be sure that the network is the same one day to the next. I find signal strength to be really hard to measure on CDMA networks unless you have two active units side by side. Even then the choice made in the software to what constitutes a bar is largely arbitrary. You could use a linear scale or a logarithmic scale. A signal strength meter is the only true measure. Of course you have to consider usability. Some phones have good radios but lousy functionality or basic functionality. I have good PCS coverage so this is a marginal issue for me.
    The 4900 has a reputation of having one of the best receptions of all PCS phones that Sprint offers. But as you can see, ITS HUGE!!! You sacrifice size with that large candy bar design in order to get that reception...
  4.    #4  
    I won't argue with you there. This Sanyo 4900 is pretty big for a cellphone. Just wish this equally large Treo would get nearly the same reception as this Sanyo 4900.
    I was thinking about getting a 4900 as well. Normally I would go for a flip phone, but the 4900 with that awesome 4.5 hour talk-time and 16 day standby seems like a good deal.

Is the speakerphone on it any good?
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Doesn't one bar on one phone not have to mean the same on another phone?
    You can't compare the "bars" on two phones. Sometimes you can't even compare the bars on two phones from the same maker. They're pretty arbitrary (unfortunately).
    Originally posted by sbcrair
    You can't compare the "bars" on two phones. Sometimes you can't even compare the bars on two phones from the same maker. They're pretty arbitrary (unfortunately).
    Agreed. My wife's 180 and my 270 will have different "bars", hers usually fewer, but her reception seems clearer. I think it is a better comparison to pit two phones (whether same manufacturer/model or not) against each other in an area that is known for little or no reception.

I travel a lot for my job, so this is a possibility for me. For those who don't travel much, this may be a little tougher...
  9.    #9  
    To answer the speakerphone question above, from my initial testing, the speakerphone on the Sanyo 4900 seems to work better than the Treo's. The volume is louder and the sound remains pretty clear at high volumes. The Sanyo 4900, unlike the Treo, uses a seperate (larger) speaker for the speakerphone.
    in philadelphia i get 3-4 bars when im outside. at my apartment I get4-5 bars all the time . in my office I get 0-1 bars but have never had a clarity issue and or missed any calls. its no concern if u don't miss calls
    Originally posted by denik
    To answer the speakerphone question above...
    May I ask what's involved with adding it to your plan. That Sanyo 4900 is one of those $49 or free with rebates phones right? Where'd you get it from.

Does it share the minutes, including unlimited vision & SMS?
    denik,
    4900 does have good reseption compared to some other SPCS phones, but not that much and its bars are not so true. I have had Samsung A500, N400, LG 5350, Sanyo 4900 and now Treo 300. A500 is actually very close to 4900 on reception. Treo 300's reception is not any worse than that of 4900 if not better. Don't be fooled by the bars.
    I wouldn't totally agree with that, fixup...

I work in an underground level of a building (two levels below ground), and I never EVER lose my signal with my 4900, but the A500 never HAS a signal there - and the Treo is on/off the entire time I'm there - I have had several occasions where a 4-hour stint indoors will drain the batteries of my A500 and my Treo because they are constantly searching for a signal. The 4900 is phenomenal compared to ALL of the other 3G phones by SPCS (and I've actually used every one of them)
  14.    #14  
    I agree w/ needles. I don't get dropped w/ the Sanyo 4900 in poor reception areas as I do with my Treo 300. So regardless of the bars, the Sanyo 4900 seems to be getting better reception.

And to answer the question about how I added the Sanyo 4900 to my plan, here is what I did:

I have the 2000 anytime minutes vision plan for $85 (+$10 nights and weekends). I already had a Timeport as my second phone on the plan. I purchased the Sanyo 4900 from amazon for $149, but should receive it as back after I get my $100 rebate from SprintPCS and $50 rebate from Amazon. I added the Sanyo 4900 to my plan (w/o having to pay an activation fee, as they are having a promotion right now), plus $20/month. All phones added to my plan share everything, i.e. unlimited vision, unlimited pcs-pcs, unlimited nights/weekends, and they all share the 2000 anytimes minutes.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Originally posted by potatoho

May I ask what's involved with adding it to your plan. That Sanyo 4900 is one of those $49 or free with rebates phones right? Where'd you get it from.

Does it share the minutes, including unlimited vision & SMS?
    I got my wife a 4900 for Christmas. Free with rebate from Amazon and activation.

As far as shared it depends on your plan. I have the plan that has 2000 anytime minutes/month. Call Sprint Sales and they can answer your questions.

I had no problem getting it all hooked up and shared on my plan.

The 4900 is a pretty nice phone as far as I can tell. The menu's are not as easy as they could be for a newbie phone user, but my wife likes it a lot for her first sell phone.

Yes the talk time is supposedly long but the standby battery life is not good, it does have a color screen which drains the batteries pretty fast. IMHO color screens on cell phones are a waste unless you are doing a bunch of web surfing and emailing which a lot of people do not do.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Thanks guys, the 4900 sounds pretty cool. I'd been wanting to recommend that to a family member, but they're stuck on wanting a flip phone. Actually I was too, but then the features of the 4900 (long talk time, speakerphone) seem like a much better fit for my mom.
    "the 4900 sounds pretty cool"

Note that 4900 is a vision phone. Ironically, all the virtues are on its voice side - excellent reception, excellent talking and standby time, excellent speakphone...

When it comes to vision (data) stuff, this phone sucks - very slow, "no enough memory", dark and lo-res screen, ugly and hard-to-read fonts, have to scroll horizontally to read a web page, bad menu system (no numbered shortcuts), dial-up must be disconnected before place a voice call, batter drains out very quickly...

If voice is your main concern, then it is a very solid phone and nothing else beats it. But if you want to take the advantage of SPCS's unlimited data (obviously most of us here do), then 4900 is not the phone for you and nothing beats Treo 300.
    Last edited by Fixup; 02/28/2003 at 06:56 PM.
    Originally posted by Fixup
    If voice is your main concern, then it is a very solid phone and nothing else beats it.
    That's pretty much what she needs. My mom hates charging the phone.

It can play cool Java games though too right?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I only get 1 bar with my treo 300 in my house and 2 with my AT&T panasonic phone, yet quality and consistancy of the voice signal is much better on the treo. Not that I have tried the Sanyo, but the treo on sprint has been way better than my panasonic on AT&T which had about 1hr talk time (because it is 2.8 oz). My treo gets about 1:45talk. Although it is larger and weighs alot more, it is more comfortable due to my horizontal case versus the stab you in the side vertical clip of my panasonic phone.
    Mark F Chinsky
    Originally posted by denik

I'm in my office right now, and the Sanyo 4900 is showing that I have 4 bars. I never get more than 1 bar in my office w/ the Treo.
    I have a treo 300, a friend has the 4900 and another friend has the samsung A500 so I've had the opportunity to compare these phones side by side.

1) Treo shows fewer bars than sanyo 4900 but the calls and vision work just fine. The bonus is that the treo 300 can actually display treocentral.com while the sanyo runs out of memory.

The samsung A500 cannot make calls or access vision from places where I can pull web pages down with the treo and sanyo 4900. in a restaurant where the samsung could not complete calls or connect to vision due to lack of network, the treo was surfing away just fine.

I'd rank the treo close enough to the 4900 in terms of RF that factors other than RF should make the decision for you - eg, battery life is a no brainer, the god damn treo is lucky to last a day with the amount of calls I make, while a sanyo can go for days.

However, the PDA and browser on the treo make me put up with the ****e battery life.

/v
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast