Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Assuming you can make it through a full day, whats so bad with the treo battery life?

Unlike a regular phone, it is likely you want to sync at least once a day anyway if you use a contact manager/crm app on your home or office PC. Thus you have to take the phone out and hook it up to the sync cable. Whats so bad about leaving it there while you sleep?

I tested by making a call from my treo to my panasonc phone (on AT&T) (after 9pm of course and let them run. After about an hour I had to plug the AT&T in or it was about to give up the ghost. The treo kept running to about 1:45.

Does it use less juice if there is no talking (just the background noise of my house)?

AT&T had 2 bars, Treo had 1 of signal strength.
    Mark F Chinsky
    Originally posted by mulcher
    Assuming you can make it through a full day, whats so bad with the treo battery life?

I tested by making a call from my treo to my panasonc phone (on AT&T) (after 9pm of course and let them run. After about an hour I had to plug the AT&T in or it was about to give up the ghost. The treo kept running to about 1:45.

The problem with the day of use is that I get it by having to think about it. Eg, if I know there are some long conf calls coming up, I don't use the vision at all and turn the brightness down to the very minimum. I don't want to think about my phone, it is something that is there for my convenience, not the other way around, but with the treo's battery, I have to think about it constantly. God forbid if I have two back to back 1 hour conf calls (which is not unknown), then I have to remember to have the charger with me. Battery life that can last you a full business day with heavy talk is a _good_ thing. Treo needs to step up to the tungsten W.

/v
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Considering TungstanW and Treo both use lithium ion, and considering it takes a known amount of power to transmit to a tower, how can the tungstan last 10 hours versus treo's 1.5? Is the battery 5 times bigger and heavier?? Does the AT&T network take so much less power to work?
    Mark F Chinsky
    The Treo 300 is a miracle of technology. Who amoungst us didn't dream of something like this when we were kids? But I must admit that battery life is one of it's negative points.

Having said this, I read somewhere here that someone was selling on ebay a small container which held 4 AA batteries. It cost me $9.95 and it just plugs into the Treo when I either have to charge the internal battery or extend a phone call because the internal battery is soon gonna die on me. This little device, which now contains 4 rechargeable AA batteries goes with me everywhere in my left pants pocket while my Treo sits in my shirt pocket. Hence, the one real negative has been taken care of.

Take a look around here at TreoCentral in the 300 section and I'm sure you will find many references to it.

Getting back on to the subject of the thread, I purchased the Sanyo 4900 for my wife after I got the Treo 300. I did so because the reception factor was so much better after I turned in my old 2G Sprint phone for the new 3G Treo 300 phone. I have a friend who works for Sprint who is an RF engineer. He indicated that 3G phone reception would be much improved on Sprints new 3G network compared with the use of a 2G phone on the 3G network. Both the Treo 300 and the Sanyo 4900 give the same results as far as usage. But do not make the mistake of just comparing the number of bars you get between the two. Those are not always calibrated readings and are not used for reference between phones. It does give a user relative differences in signal strength on a particular phone, however. The proof is in the usage. In my case both phones work wonderful even in areas where the number of bars is 1 or less.

Cheers.
    Rees
    Originally posted by mulcher
    Considering TungstanW and Treo both use lithium ion, and considering it takes a known amount of power to transmit to a tower, how can the tungstan last 10 hours versus treo's 1.5? Is the battery 5 times bigger and heavier?? Does the AT&T network take so much less power to work?
    Tungsten W uses a 1500mAh battery as opposed to the Treo 300's 850mAh.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3099.html

In the following review, they got 9hr 16m of talk time. Interestingly, they only got 4hr 10m of talk & web surfing with the screen left on. Hmm. Wonder how many hours the Treo would get if the screen would turn off during calls.

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...0897089-3.html
    ReesR,
    Cannot agree with you more!
    For reseption, with Treo, I can check email in my office where I could not with 4900 and A500. Only based on this I made my decision to keep the Treo and my A500 is on sale. Opposit to the subject of this thread, I could never believe how good the reception of Treo is, especially for its short, non-extendable antenna.
    For battery life, it is very good, as long as you don't use vision stuff (heavy network activities) continuesly. The battery holder ReesR bought is a very good solution and I'll make one for myself. Radio Shack has a very good 4-AAA battery case for only $1.50, which I use for my audiophile headphone amp (www.fixup.net).
    Hrmm. I called Sprint to add another phone to my account, but they said I'm not allowed because I have a $125 deposit on my account.. and I won't be eligible for a family plan until I've had my account for a year. Me not happy!
    My parents went to Best Buy and got a couple of Sanyo 4900's. $100 mail-in rebate, and a $50 instant rebate, so it makes them both free. A new shared account, but only one charge for activation.

Wow! At their house my Treo 300 gets 0 to 1 bar, never any higher than 1 bar. The 4900's get 3 bars, and full bars if you extend the antenna. Holy crapola!

I'm calling back and forth between all the phones, and never even an inkling of signal loss on the 4900s, and yet my Treo is like beep beep signal lost here and there.

I may have to return my Treo under warranty or something. That's not right.

Edited to say this..

I found a debug code for the 4900 so that it will show the dB strength. FWIW it read darn near exactly the same as my Treo 300 (as shown by my TreoHelper) in the same spots. I think they just have better working firmware. I found a spot with the weakest reception and the 4900 basically refused to disconnect even though the speech was literally half missing.

So just to clarify, the 4900 will show a greater number of bars than the Treo 300, even though they read equivalent signal quality dB.

One strange thing. In lots of areas the two showed approx the same dB, but I notice that it was very difficult to get the 4900 to get worse than -105dB. The Treo 300 seems to go from -103 to -108 very easily. The 4900 has a dual-band antenna which can be extended, though my tests were all with it as a stub. Ahh I don't even want to go there.. I'm sick of having to experiment with antenna & stuff, why can't stuff just work properly.
    Last edited by potatoho; 03/19/2003 at 03:44 AM.
    @ potatoho

are there any apps that are available for getting the field test data on the Treo 600. I would really like to check to see what frequency my phone is picking up (in areas where the provider has both PCS and cellular licenses) as well as see the actual dB strength
    Originally posted by 100thMonkey
    @ potatoho

are there any apps that are available for getting the field test data on the Treo 600. I would really like to check to see what frequency my phone is picking up (in areas where the provider has both PCS and cellular licenses) as well as see the actual dB strength
    Does dialing ##debug do anything? I found a thread on here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ial+codes.html
    its a start, thanks much
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12