1.    #1  
    In the Wall Street Journal's review today, the Treo 300 clearly beats out the new Palm Tungsten W:

Excerpts:

• The Treo 300 "has, so far, struck the best balance between the phone and e-mail functions."
    • The new Palm is "about 10% heavier than a Treo 300, and a bit longer and wider."
    • "The built-in e-mail program on the W, called VersaMail, is better than the built-in e-mail software on the Treo, but it's inferior to the optional Treo Mail program offered by Handspring."
    • "[T]he Sprint data network is faster than AT&T's."
    • "[T]he Tunsgten W is much costlier than the Treo 300..."
    • "The Tungsten W is pretty good, but also pretty big and pretty expensive, and it makes a lousy phone. For those reasons, it fails to oust the Handspring Treo 300 from its perch as the best communicator on the market, with the best balance of phone, PDA and e-mail functionality."

It seems the only advantages of the Palm Tungsten W are its "brilliant, high-resolution color screen," a "roomier" keyboard and its "impressive battery life."
    Originally posted by DougI
    In the Wall Street Journal's review today, the Treo 300 clearly beats out the new Palm Tungsten W:

Excerpts:

• "The built-in e-mail program on the W, called VersaMail, is better than the built-in e-mail software on the Treo"

Hmm, Palm didn't really have to set the bar very high to win that one
    Don't forget, the Treo 300 has the backlit keyboard (W lacks)which makes it usable in low-light situations.

I'm a convert from the i705, and given my experience, I am much happier with the Treo than with the i705. No more AIM crashes & "Timeout" errors. The designers of the Treo included so many nice touches, like the ability to move the cursor with the keys (not going back to the stylus etc.) The speed of PQA's is so much better.... and the Phone recption is a lot better than my older sprint phone.

Well worth the move!!
    The #1 reason to go for Treo 300 - SPCS's unlimited vision service plan rocks!!! So no matter how good the Palm W is, it is useless.

That said, Treo 300 is the most thoughtfuly designed products I've seen so far. How many features and how many cool stuff do not make up a good product, a thoughtful and great designer does. As a great developer too, I can easily see how great the designer of Treo 300 is.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Having been through the i705/Palm.net billing extortion fiasco, I am slightly wary of wireless devices that operate on only one provider's network.
    That said, Sprint's $10 unlimited wireless data plan is a heck of a bargain. If needed, one could put the marginal savings toward a replacement device if Sprint finds they can't afford to keep rates that low after the first year.
    -Rusty
    Treo270 GSM/GPRS on AT&T
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Rusty: from my understanding, if you have unlimited vision, sprint cannot cancel it on you, if they feel they cannot afford it in a year. they just will no longer offer it, however, existing customers who got it while it lasted will continue to get it under "grandfather clause"
    This isn't a democracy, and Sprint doesn't have any laws to obey. They are a business, and can stop offering their unlimited data service any time they want. They may lose customers if they do that, but realize that they CAN do it.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Sprint isn't going to cancel anyone's contract by any means, but they have the option of declining to offer a renewal on the same terms. On the other hand, the economics of their network may very well be such that they can afford to offer wireless data services at that rate indefinitely. This is more likely if they average the costs out by providing the same deal to users of less-capable smartphones that will consume far less bandwidth.

-Rusty J
    Treo 270 GSM/GPRS (AT&T, unsupported)
    The #1 reason to go for Treo 300 - SPCS's unlimited vision service plan rocks!!! So no matter how good the Palm W is, it is useless.
    Exactly!

Sprint will not change anyones plan without the end user initiating a change. History has illustrated this. I have friends whose night-time minutes start at 7pm.

If you need to change a phone number from moving, upgrade/downgrade plans, or even add a new service, than you might be in trouble. If not, don't worry.

Sprint is still making a ton of money on unlimited vision. I used a hitachi p300 for a couple of days and passing even 1mb of data through that thing could take a week.

Data pigs like us are in the very small minority.

-rob
    ...Granted, without the wireless enabled, so I can't comment on how it is on the network, or as a phone. Here are a couple of comments, though:

Keyboard: Not as well thought out as the Treo. One good thing, it has a dedicated "home" button. This is something Handspring should have done. I have had to reassign one of my valuable app buttons for this purpose. One bad thing, their is no dedicated button to get a pull down menu. What a trade off. Their is also no (as far as I can tell from my brief use) option lock. This means in order to type a long series of numbers, you have to type option-5 option-5 option-5 option-1 option-2 option-1 option-2, instead of option-option 5551212. This is a big pain, especially seeing as it is a phone!

Screen: The screen is really nice. I have 320x320 envy. Nough said.

Phone App: It stinks. It is enough to allow the user to dial a number, but that is about it. The typical way people will probably use it is using the address book, and tapping the number and telling the unit to dial the number. This means that you almost need to have the stylus to dial a number from your address book. I sence that many Tungston W users are going to be going to a 3rd party app, like Takephon or Fingerdial. This system has the worst phone implementation of any other Palm phone I have used (Samsung, Kyocera, Handspring).

Industrial Design: It is nice as an M705 replacement, but not as a phone. It feels good in your hand as a PDA, but it feels bigger and more cluncky than the Treo. I have heard people complain that Palm should have included a small speaker in the top of the unit, but I am not sure that this would have helped. I can't imagine wanting to hold this thing up to my ear. They should have integrated Bluetooth so that users could take advantage of wireless headsets. Oh, well. I ain't the Product Manager.

End result. I don't think that the Tungston W is either a Treo killer or a Blackberry Killer. It may be a Palm killer, though.
    I also held a |W tonight, and I agree that it's too bulky (wide and think, mainly) to use as a phone. And that's coming from a 300 user who's already using a pretty big device, in the scheme of things. I didn't play with it too much - it was being sold at CompUSA by a typically-clueless sales dude (he told the buyer that it DID indeed work as a phone without requiring an earbud - that's one device that'll be coming back).
    What Druce said is spot on - it could be a Palm killer. Funny. Or, sad, perhaps.