1.    #1  
    I posted a note at O'Grady's Powerpage about Scott Gruby's excellent "WirelessModem" (registered user, btw) for use with mac portables. Somebody else posted a follow-up warning that Sprint has cancelled the accounts of people using the Treo as a modem and also given them large bills.

I hadn't heard about this. Is this true?

Regards,
    --Mathew
    this has been addressed on here before. there is a clause in the sprint vision contract that refers to 'reasonable use' under the unlimited plan.

while i'm sure that dialing up a few times a day to check your email would not be noticed, let's face it, somewhere out there are people using this as a substitute for paying for a dial-up account and then staying connected all day.

while i won't get into the right and wrong of it, i do think it's safe to say that at $10 per month unlimited, that kind of usage was not anticipated and if enough people do it, it could cause sprint to re-think the plan...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by mathewlu
    I posted a note at O'Grady's Powerpage about Scott Gruby's excellent "WirelessModem" (registered user, btw) for use with mac portables. Somebody else posted a follow-up warning that Sprint has cancelled the accounts of people using the Treo as a modem and also given them large bills.

I hadn't heard about this. Is this true?

Regards,
    --Mathew

The poster indicated that people that have used it as an ISP, i.e. constantly, are getting caught. I have heard of 1 report on HowardForums about this, but no evidence to back it up. I think that there are a number of factors involved (this is just a guess on my part):

1) Pricing plan; if you've on a lower pricing plan, Sprint is more likely to care. Someone mentioned less than $85 per month
    2) How much you use it
    3) How often you use it
    4) How long you've been a customer

So far I personally have not seen Sprint do anything to my account; however, I use it once in awhile and I'm on an $85/month plan and have been a Sprint PCS customer for about 3.5 years.

Your mileage may vary.
  4.    #4  
    Can Sprint tell that you are using WirelessModem, or can they just tell that you are using a lot of bandwidth all of a sudden?

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Originally posted by mathewlu
    Can Sprint tell that you are using WirelessModem, or can they just tell that you are using a lot of bandwidth all of a sudden?

Regards,
    --Mathew
    As far as I know, they can't tell that you're using WirelessModem. I believe they can tell if you use another phone with a laptop, but with WirelessModem, there should be no way to tell. I believe they monitor bandwidth.