Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Treo car kit for Treo www.THB.de is available. I asked some informations, they told me in Germany it is sold at 259,90 .

Anyone tryed this item ?
    I spoke to the US distributer for this item - They sent it back for engineering changes since it does NOT work with USA phones.
    Bob
  3. f40
    I have purchased one of these in New Zealand for $650, a bit pricy but I make 50+ calls a day on my Treo & the battery just can not take it. Most of my calls are while in the car, so I was waiting for this.
    Initially it did not work, so I took the unit back & got another one - still did not work. It seems I was the first person in this country - if not the world to get one.
    I was just about to pull it out & send it back - after a week & a half of trying, including tech support @ handspring - just in case, but then I found that the supplier had put a bit of software on their site (http://www.thb.de/_de/) since the last time I checked only in german, which I do not read, there is no english bit on this site.
    Once I downloaded the software, everything worked!.
    I can now start using it & will try to remember to post an update to say what it is like to use.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks a lot for your "review".

Please, because they told me I need a "console" to use the kit can you explain me what they meant ?

Even better should be if you have some detailed pic of your kit installed in your car.
    Another question: do you need to plug something in the beside-ear connection or it works only inserting the below connector ? (like the cradle)

Thanks
  5. f40
    There are two main bits, then a microphone & speaker.
    The cradle where the phone clips into has a power connection in the base, and does require a cable to be be plugged in to the hands free socket.
    There is another box that I assume contains the amplifier as both the microphone & speaker plug into this unit, which I have put under the dash.
    The cradle has a bit that sticks up behind the antenna to presumably get the signal & send it out through the outside antenna.
    I find putting the phone into the cradle & getting it lined up with the plug to be a bit awkward, often needing 2 or 3 goes to get it in, I suppose practice will help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  6.    #6  
    argh, I hoped that I should not need the handsfree pluh

Well, I don't need any other hardware to connect e fit all when I receive the kit ?
    How did you connect the (included I think) cradle ? With stops ?

Many many thanks
  7. f40
    I already had a bracket for my previous car kit, so I simply screwed the cradle to the bracket.
    I also already had an external antenna, so I simply plugged that in to the socket for it. A new antenna did not come with the kit.
    There is a picture of the kit at http://www.thb.de/_de/
    There is a cable that runs between the cradle & the amplifier box, and cables to the microphone & speaker.
    I used my existing microphone as it runs to the top of the windscreen, but if the quality is not good, then I will have to use the new microphone which looks very nice.
    Otherwise, there are power & earth wires, a accessory power wire & a wire to turn off the stereo when the phone is in use. These are the same wiring as Nokia, which I already had as well, so I simply plugged in the Nokia plug - after careful checking of the polarity.
    Can you report on the sound quality of the speaker and microphone? Is signal strength improved or unaffected?
    Originally posted by f40
    There are two main bits, then a microphone & speaker.
    The cradle where the phone clips into has a power connection in the base, and does require a cable to be be plugged in to the hands free socket.
    There is another box that I assume contains the amplifier as both the microphone & speaker plug into this unit, which I have put under the dash.
    The cradle has a bit that sticks up behind the antenna to presumably get the signal & send it out through the outside antenna.
    I find putting the phone into the cradle & getting it lined up with the plug to be a bit awkward, often needing 2 or 3 goes to get it in, I suppose practice will help.
    From the picture(s) .. it looks like you couldn't hook up the Treo if it were in a case (like the "convertible")?
  10. f40
    The quality is average, however I amstill using my only Nokia microphone & will change to the one that THB supplied. Signal strength seems to be a little better, but I am using an optional external aerial.
    It would seem that this is a bit of a leading edge product, as is the Treo, and it is certainly not up to the ease of use standard of a Nokia kit.

The phone needs to be out of any cover to fit in the holder as the tags on the side of the holder fit snugly against the phone & hold it securely.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Hi F40,
    Can u tell me if the treo backlight stays on whilst in the hands free kit? or can you turn it on and off through prefernces etc?
    Thanks
    ben
  12. f40
    Hi all
    I have now been using this car kit for just over a month. I have changed the microphone to the THB one, and put on the little boot that comes with it. This has made the other end clearer. I occasionally get feedback from the speaker as it seems that the internal Treo microphone is not switched off, and my Treo is only 300mm away from the speaker. I can put my hand between the two & stop the feedback, so I may have to shift one or the other. The backlight and power are still on the same delay as normal, so the phone switches off after 1 minute of non-use on my setup. You have to open the cover, or switch it on manually to get it to wake up. Incoming calls work fine, but opening the cover, or pressing the answer button on the screen.
    I find a couple of things a bit disconcerting, and have sent an email to the software developer, but to no reply at this time.
    1. When I dial, the speaker stays off until the phone connects the call, so I do not know if the phone is rining or engaged.
    2. When it answers, I have to wait a couple of seconds before starting to speak, to wait for the connection to work properly.
    I have also asked them to put in the option to automatically answer the phone after a couple of rings like the Nokia can.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Originally posted by f40

1. When I dial, the speaker stays off until the phone connects the call, so I do not know if the phone is rining or engaged.
    I had that problem with my 180, didnt have a car kit for it but calling certain numbers and it behave like that, no dial tone as feed back.
    f40 - Is your phone a US version phone? Has anyone tried one of these kits on an US phone?

Anyone know where folks in the US can get one of these car kits? THB seems to be the only company that developed a kit for the Treo. Like most people I contacted them and they directed me to AleEv. AleEv said they could not get the kit to work with the US version of the Treo. That was the last I heard. Will be highly disappointed if there is never a car kit for the Treo (might even consider selling my Treo for a Nokia 9290 just to get the car kit).
    I've built my own car kit ... it consists of ..

1) Driver's Fone Handsfree Kit .. which consists of microphone and speaker that mounts off headrest.

2) CD player platform .. attached via flexible pipe(?) off passenger seat.

I just drilled a couple of holes in the platform to match the "button" on back of my Treo case ..

I attach the Treo via the notch .. plug in the Driver's Fone headset and DC power ... and I'm ready to go!

Phone rings .. just flip the lid and start talking.

I don't (normally) make/initiate calls while driving, so I don't worry about needing to see keypads, etc .. IF I do .. its only via the jog dial .. always set at the #1 position (the only number I'd call when driving)
    inqui-Z-tor - nice idea but again what about and external antenna?

If there is no external antenna then to me it's almost useless, thanks to T-mobile's crappy service. Heard back from THB today and they will not be developing a car kit for the US version of the Treo 180.

Anyone want to buy a good Treo 180???????
    Originally posted by brax4
    inqui-Z-tor - nice idea but again what about and external antenna?

If there is no external antenna then to me it's almost useless, thanks to T-mobile's crappy service. Heard back from THB today and they will not be developing a car kit for the US version of the Treo 180.
    External antenna? The antenna comes off? I've got a T300 so I'm using Sprint.

I've used (2) different types of external antenna(s) ..

1- wired .. kind you remove your OEM antenna and replace it w/one attached to a long wire .. and the antenna is located outside your vehicle. (Nokia)

2- not wired .. a clip on to car window antenna .. no physical attachment to the cell phone (Sony)
    So your saying your using an external antenna with you Treo 300? A Nokia where you remove the treo antenna and also a clip on version? I've seen the clip on kind but didn't know how well they worked. How much signal strength do you get with the clip on one?

I would be intersted in seeing the other Nokia one where you have to remove the treo antenna. Got a pic? Or can you describe it a little more? So you unscrew the treo antenna? What do you screw into the treo?
    Originally posted by brax4
    So your saying your using an external antenna with you Treo 300? A Nokia where you remove the treo antenna and also a clip on version? I've seen the clip on kind but didn't know how well they worked. How much signal strength do you get with the clip on one?

I would be intersted in seeing the other Nokia one where you have to remove the treo antenna. Got a pic? Or can you describe it a little more? So you unscrew the treo antenna? What do you screw into the treo?
    No .. sorry for the confusion. I didn't know that the antenna for the 300 came off?? My references were that w/my previous phones (Nokia and Sony) I used external antennas of different types. My guess is that using the non-wired antenna would work for the Treo. (I just haven't tried it yet)

I'll see about get'n a pic of what I mean ..
    Ok, I was about to get highly upset because I have been searching for some sort of external antenna to use with my Treo 180 in my car for about 6 months. Thanks to the crappy T-mobile service in my area I drop calls all the time. I can literally hold my Treo 180 out in front of me at full arm extension and have full signal strength and turn 180 degrees around and face the opposite direction and go to just about no signal. I know it's not my Treo because my wife has the Moto V70 and I can do the same thing with it. Also I know of other people with T-mobile in my area who can do same thing with their phones.

I pick up a signal 2 cubes down from mine at where I work. When I called T-mobile guess what they suggested. That I move cubes. I asked if they could move their towers.

Cingular's GSM coverage is suppose to share towers with their TDMA towers, is what I was told by Cingular. So coverage should be better then T-mobile. I was on Cingular before I bought my Treo and had no problems. Just wish that Cingular would hurry up and release GSM in my area, was told end of last year, then first quarter of this year, then second quarter, then third..... Will it ever come??????? Why is technology so far behind in US. Ok off my soap-box.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast