1.    #1  
    Since this question is asked fairly frequently, here and on the Treo 300 board, I'll give you all an update and explanation of what's been going on...

First, Chatter is in late alpha on the Treo 180, Treo 270, and Treo 300. Most recently, I have been ensuring that a single version will work with all three machines (it turns out that some things need to be done differently on the 180/270 than on the 300, which is why it's had a separate alpha). At the moment, there are 10 users on the 300 and 6 users on the 180/270, besides me.

I have also been working on the following over the last few weeks:

1) Documentation, with many screenshots, to help people get started.

2) Getting a server with 24/7 support, since support on free servers has turned out to be pretty good, but not up to my standards (i.e. for my own use)

3) Getting a website (www.imchatter.com) set up that, at the least, has a forum I can use for users to help each other, and me to provide input, responses, etc.

What I DON'T want to do is release Chatter to lots of people who will bombard me with (often similar) questions, suggestions, etc. that I'll have to handle in an ad-hoc manner. Good documentation and a support site strike me as the reasonable way to go. I have gotten a tremendous amount of enjoyment out of working with my limited group of testers, yet I recoil in horror at the thought of having to do this with hundreds of people. There simply aren't enough hours in the day for this.

Will Chatter be free? I don't think so anymore. I'm not doing this for the money, but do I have a HUGE number of hours into this, as well as nearly $1K in out-of-pocket expenses. Moreover, I have been told by my testers that I'm simply out of my mind for giving this away. What I will probably do is recoup out-of-pocket expenses and give the remainder to charity.

What do I think I will ultimately charge? My guess is no more than $15 for IM only, and $20 for IM with IMAP/SMTP eMail (I've been pointing people to a free provider of IMAP service.)

I've told all of the testers that they should feel free to discuss Chatter if they like; perhaps they will do so here.

Best regards to all,

Marc
    Thanks for the update. I was starting to get a little worried.

As far as the price.....I too, think that giving it away (however cool that may be) would come as a loss to you. As you have mentioned, you have invested a lot of time. And that, is more precious than any money.

Anyway, glad to hear you are "still in the game".

Mike
    ... you didn't answer your own question.

When can we expect a beta / demo?

Regards,
    --Mathew
  4.    #4  
    Hmm... I guess that's right. If I had to give a "deadline", I'd say March 15th. I'm trying for the coming weekend, however (then I'm gone for a week).

- m