Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'd like to hear other peoples ideas for improvements to the next generation of Treo's. I'm a very satisfied customer, but after about 6 months of use, I want more. Maybe our friends at handspring will see something they like and implement it into their next design....

Here are my recommedations:
    1) ability to automaticly disconnect wireless mode at a specified time (with no need to buy additional program). This is a huge battery saver and really should be standard.
    2) Ability to talk on the phone without lifting the cover. This would eliminate the bulky feel of the phone not to mention the strange looks I tend to get in public. This would involve essentially moving the mic below the hard keys and putting a usable speaker on the hinge. Sounds silly, but the only reason my girlfriend refuses to get a treo is because "it's too big and ugly".
    3) Better 3 way calling interface. Currently I can't drop one person from a 3-way call and pick up somebody else. The first callers name wont disappear from the screen. Kind of annoying. Although probably a Sprint issue more than anything.
    4) Picture caller ID/Polyphonic ringtones already installed. You pay twice as much for this phone and you don't even get all the bells and whistles of the cheaper models. Kind of a let down out of the box (until you start downloading like crazy).
    5) Include a decent email program already installed. (hopefully Snappermail, but would settle for Treomail seeing how it's made by the same company). Who wants to take their new gadget out of the box and then have to be bothered with websurfing, downloading, hotsyncing, and then configuring before they can email? Not me.

I'd be interesting in hearing any of your thoughts for improvements. Hopefully somebody at handspring is listening...
    It seems like this is an endlessly recurring thread, but anyway here's my 2 cents:

1) Bluetooth
    2) Hi - Res screen
    3) expansion slot; I'd prefer CF, but it looks like SD is the Palm Standard
    4) Tungsten W type battery life
    5) OS 5 (6?)
    6) Stereo out for MP3/Multimedia support
    7) a decent external keyboard

These things are obvious; it's hardly as if the folks at Handspring aren't aware of them.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Last edited by mathewlu; 02/24/2003 at 09:53 PM.
    Originally posted by yanbanducci
    I'd like to hear other peoples ideas for improvements to the next generation of Treo's. I'm a very satisfied customer, but after about 6 months of use, I want more. Maybe our friends at handspring will see something they like and implement it into their next design....

Here are my recommedations:
    1) ability to automaticly disconnect wireless mode at a specified time (with no need to buy additional program). This is a huge battery saver and really should be standard.
    2) Ability to talk on the phone without lifting the cover. This would eliminate the bulky feel of the phone not to mention the strange looks I tend to get in public. This would involve essentially moving the mic below the hard keys and putting a usable speaker on the hinge. Sounds silly, but the only reason my girlfriend refuses to get a treo is because "it's too big and ugly".
    3) Better 3 way calling interface. Currently I can't drop one person from a 3-way call and pick up somebody else. The first callers name wont disappear from the screen. Kind of annoying. Although probably a Sprint issue more than anything.
    4) Picture caller ID/Polyphonic ringtones already installed. You pay twice as much for this phone and you don't even get all the bells and whistles of the cheaper models. Kind of a let down out of the box (until you start downloading like crazy).
    5) Include a decent email program already installed. (hopefully Snappermail, but would settle for Treomail seeing how it's made by the same company). Who wants to take their new gadget out of the box and then have to be bothered with websurfing, downloading, hotsyncing, and then configuring before they can email? Not me.

I'd be interesting in hearing any of your thoughts for improvements. Hopefully somebody at handspring is listening...
    some comments on the above:

1) agree that wireless mode could be handled better

2) i think any efforts to make the treo significantly smaller would result in reduced usability of the keyboard and overall form. i also think that a speaker on or near the hinge would be even less capable than the one already in the treo, reducing sound quality and volume. as we move to polyphonic midi ringtones and eventual next step of mp3's, we need better speakers not worse.

4) picture caller id built in seems very reasonable. as for ringtones, the treo DOES come with polyphonic ones, just not the ones you probably wanted. but if they tried to include all the ones that everybody wanted, they would use up all the memory just with that. i think the model of downloading the ones each person wants is appropriate given the huge variety in musical taste

5) re: email, there is also a huge variety of what people need/find important there. dan harkless has done a great job of putting features of various programs in a chart you can visit from this forum. personally, his chart did not help me in the least because i need AOL mail, which only AOL and pocketflash handle, and my pop3 accounts are nicely handled for my needs via blazer bookmarks...

there have been some great threads on here about what folks would like to see in the next treo - card support, better materials in construction, bluetooth... check them out also for more info.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    I just want this darn thing to pick up a signal after you've gone without one for a few minutes without having to do a soft reset

Also SMS send/receive should be standard.
    What do I want upgraded?

1) Dual cdma radio w/1xrtt
    2) Palm OS 5 based on ARM processor
    3) +16 MB Ram
    4) SDIO
    5) 320x320 transreflective TFT screen
    5) integrated BT w/hardware switch (i.e Fujitsu LOOX)
    6) replaceable 1500mAh battery (similar to longevity of T|W batttery)
    7) integrated voice recorder
    8) GPSone or equivalent

All the above is doable IMO within the current form factor (or slightly larger).
    Want:
    -1/4 inch smaller in length and width
    -more robust hinge
    -solid color plastic housing
    -higher quality speaker on PDA side
    -SDIO
    -enough processing power for video playback
    -many, many fewer returned units (better manufacturing QA)

Keep as-is:
    -screen size
    -keyboard
    -see-through cover
    -thickness (thinness)
    In addition to the above:

- Faster processor: 66MHz Dragonball under OS3.5.2 or 4.1
    - Stronger case material so it doesn't nick so easily
    - Coffeemaker with straw through the antenna
    - Louder speaker
    Originally posted by Abid
    In addition to the above:

- Coffeemaker with straw through the antenna
    Well heck if we're going down this path... how about a reality distortion field to make beautiful women attacted to the owner of the device.

Oh, yeah, and a phaser, too.

<I suppose I should commit pre-emptive sappuku and admit that the nature of the second feature request perhaps explains the need for the first>

regards,
    --Mathew
    Last edited by mathewlu; 02/25/2003 at 09:07 AM.
  9.    #9  
    What do I want upgraded?

1) Dual cdma radio w/1xrtt
    2) Palm OS 5 based on ARM processor
    3) +16 MB Ram
    4) SDIO
    5) 320x320 transreflective TFT screen
    5) integrated BT w/hardware switch (i.e Fujitsu LOOX)
    6) replaceable 1500mAh battery (similar to longevity of T|W batttery)
    7) integrated voice recorder
    8) GPSone or equivalent

All the above is doable IMO within the current form factor (or slightly larger).

SDIO and extended battery seem pretty popular. Both great ideas that I'd like to see in my Treo.

could you say more about "integrated BT w/hardware switch"?
    Here's what I want...

1) Depending on power consumption, either OS5/ARM, or OS 4.x with a 66 MHz Dragonball chip.
    2) Transflective LCD, for better visibility in sunlight, at 320x320.
    3) SD slot. This is *killing* me to think that if I have to hard reset on the road, I'll either be forced to have a laptop ready to go, or pray that Network Hotsync will work when I need it the most. The ability to restore all my settings from a backup card would be nice. Also, if I use an SD-based camera, I'd love to have those images available to view on the Treo.
    4) Bluetooth. It may not be a big deal when I've already got my phone and PDA in one package, but there are still uses for it.
    5) Replacable battery pack. It would be nice to have the option of just snapping in an extra pack as needed.
    6) MP3 playback for ringtones and general listening.
    7) Voice recording. It's a neat feature, and if it's on a single button, I could just grab the Treo, hit a button, and record something which I don't have the time to write down. No matter how good the PDA is, I don't really feel comfortable walking down the street and typing/writing on something. Single-button Voice memos would make life a lot easier.
    8) The Jog dial. Maybe this comes from playing with a Clie, but the Treo's jog dial feels downright crippled. It doesn't select fields in Handspring's own phone/SMS software, and can't pick apps one-handed in the default App Launcher.
    9) While we're at it, double the RAM. I've already asked for enough to make this at least an $800 smartphone, I might as well keep on making obscene demands
    10) Built-in mail software. Just because it may not meet my needs doesn't mean that Handspring shouldn't even try. I'm just one out of many incredibly insane people out there who wants IMAP/SSL support, but a decent POP client would be useful for some of my other accounts.

I've made some insane requests here, and I know that Handspring will have every right to ignore my insanity. Honestly, this is more of a wishlist for a Treo 500 than a 330, but there's just too many things that I want out of a PDA.
    1) OS 5 w/ARM processor;

2) SD Slot w/SDIO;

3) Bluetooth;

4) Hadn't thought about it before but, if it could be done properly, having a speaker and a mic on the lid is a phenomenal idea;

5) If it wouldn't add too greatly to the form factor, an integrated mini-cam would be great as well;

6) A jog dial similar to those found on Clie's (maybe this isn't possible as Sony probably has a RIM style patent on theirs);

7) Internal Antenna;
    Originally posted by mathewlu

Well heck if we're going down this path... how about a reality distortion field to make beautiful women attacted to the owner of the device.

Oh, yeah, and a phaser, too.

<I suppose I should commit pre-emptive sappuku and admit that the nature of the second feature request perhaps explains the need for the first>

regards,
    --Mathew
    that's pretty inventive, i never even HEARD of a reality distortion field that attracts girls. however, in the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, there is a 'somebody else's problem' field, and i would settle for that...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    1) OS 5 w/ARM processor;

I'm not really sold on OS 5 w/ ARM. I enjoy the unfettered access to device internals of the Dragonball. Yeah it's a wonky architecture but I've run into firewalls on other devices which had privilege modes and memory protection, and prevented some really cool hacks from working.

Perhaps it would never affect me, I can't say for sure. But I'm scared enough to stay away from non-Dragonball devices, unless it's got other compelling features.

OS 4.x would be hella-nice though.
    OS5
    High res
    blue tooth
    sd slot
    spy camera
    32 Meg
    Improved Battery
    MP3
    SMS on steroids
    Predictive Text
    Call and data meter
    Push E.mail
    Wav based ring tones
    i think wav based ringtones are a long way off mainly due to file size vs storage requirements. mp3 might well be possible, however...
    I just thought I'd mention that PRICE is a major concern too.

I would appreicate more memory, an iPaq-class screen, and whatever else. But, frankly, I would prefer my phone NOT cost more than my desktop.
    A bunch of people mentioned OS 5. What would OS 5 give us? I looked around on Palm's website and couldn't really find anything that said what was new and improved in OS 5. So what are the big differences between 3.5 and 5 that we'd notice?
    could you say more about "integrated BT w/hardware switch"?
    Sure... I mentioned a BT hardware b/c I thought something like that would be a great addition and would help conserve battery. IF you look at the specs of the Fujitsu Siemens LOOX, it includes a hardware switch button at the top to enable or disable the integrated Bluetooth Class I radio, which offers a range of up to 100 meters - surpassing all other Pocket PCs and PalmOS pda's with integrated Bluetooth. A BT hardware switch would a be a great feature IMO that would allow users to take advantage of a powerful Class 1 BT radio when they want, or conserve battery when powered off. I think this is a much better solution than a software switch which we all know can be prone to error. I allude to all the problems various T300 have experienced when apps fail to turn off the wireless modem resulting extensive battery drain. Here is a review on Infosync about the LOOX if you want to read more about it...
    Originally posted by boulter
    A bunch of people mentioned OS 5. What would OS 5 give us? I looked around on Palm's website and couldn't really find anything that said what was new and improved in OS 5. So what are the big differences between 3.5 and 5 that we'd notice?
    OS 5 runs on the ARM architecture. So I presume when people say they want OS 5 they are wanting the faster ARM processor, cuz that's the only way they'll get it.

OTOH getting OS 4.x is practical as it already runs on the Treo 90. I just want the color Web Clipping and memory card support it offers.
    I am very happy with the form factor. I think that eventually, as voice commands become more common place, the keyboard can be dropped for a slimmer form factor. In the short term, I think Handspring needs to strengthen it's lead in the area of software/phone integration as it's highest priority. I use my phone for about 3000 minutes a month and consider it the most important function, the critical application. I have been pleased at the integration to date and pleasantly surprised that the phone application has been so stable. I love the speed dial pages and the jog dial function. Keeping that in mind, I would like to see the following in the next Treo (in order of importance):

1. Better call handling in multi user calls. I can not tell you how many times I have hung up on someone I am talking with after intercepting call waiting. Just today, I took an incoming call waiting call, returned to the original call for about 30 minutes. When I hung up that call, I had a dial tone on the other line. I better not be getting charged for that! (maybe this is just a training issue)

2. The ability to set up a 4 way or more conference call. In my business, I am always on the road setting up conference calls. Currently I have to work a four way through AT&T

3. The ability to click on/select a phone number in either an email or on a web page and dial that number. I am always using my treo to look up numbers in the yellow pages and it would be great to just dial them from the browser.

4. Treo Mail for the masses: I want push pop3 email for multiple accounts with attachment support in native file formats.

5. Upgrade Blazer and allow it to support javascripting. I know there is Xiino, but I like the GUI and design of Blazer and only use Blazer as a result.

6. SMS and IM applications that are interoperable with Yahoo, MS Messenger, and AIM.

7. The ability to install programs from the web and back up my device to a web based location (provided by the carrier) allowing a shift away from a PC centric architecture to an independent platform.

8. The ability to access personal internet databases on the fly as opposed to tying up memory my handheld. This would truly leverage the devices connectivity.

9. Support for Video, ideally streaming so I can access my personal movies in my internet based personal database.

All of that software will require some upgrades to the Treo's hardware capabilities, so I would like to see:

1. A faster processor (150-200 Mhz)

2. At least double the RAM

3. A better Screen

4. A stereo headset jack for MP3's

5. Double the Battery (or make it removable)

The hardware aspect of this should be doable and affordable ($500 compare with Tungsten W). I am just not sure that all those software upgrades can be managed on this next generation device. But Handspring needs to focus on the software challenges to stay ahead in this space. I thing they already have the best form factor by far.
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast