1.    #1  
    Hi,

I have searched the forum over and over again and have found some good info, but I am wondering if there has been an update/fix/solution that will remedy the active data connection problem. I have only had my treo for a week and this is turning into a big problem. Dead batteries and calls going straight to voicemail is not going to work for me. Is there a fix? Are there "newer" treos that might not have this problem? Is it a network problem? (i.e. will a i330 suffer as well)

Through my troubleshooting I am fairly confident that this is not an issue with non-active applications talking to the network. I hard reset and experiecned the same issues with my treo as it was straight out of the box.

Any info/comments are greatly apprecaited.

Thanks

-rob
    Originally posted by robber
    Hi,

I have searched the forum over and over again and have found some good info, but I am wondering if there has been an update/fix/solution that will remedy the active data connection problem. I have only had my treo for a week and this is turning into a big problem. Dead batteries and calls going straight to voicemail is not going to work for me. Is there a fix? Are there "newer" treos that might not have this problem? Is it a network problem? (i.e. will a i330 suffer as well)

Through my troubleshooting I am fairly confident that this is not an issue with non-active applications talking to the network. I hard reset and experiecned the same issues with my treo as it was straight out of the box.

Any info/comments are greatly apprecaited.

Thanks

-rob
    Rob,

Do you mean that after you finish web-surfing, you still don't get phone calls?
    (I'm guessing as to your description of the problem.)

If so, I would suggest that you go into Blazer's Preferences/Browser tab and check Disconnect on Exit.

or have you already tried that?

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    If you're very concerned about missing calls, you need to ensure that your data connection is closed after using any app like Blazer, VeriChat, Chatter, etc. that uses the data connection. (As the last poster said).

You can be SURE of this if the grey/green arrows are NOT present in the signal strength indicator.

If those arrows are grey, your data connection is still present, and there's the chance of some data transfer, even in the absence of an application using the connection.

- Marc

p.s. The inability to take voice calls during data transmission is a network problem that CANNOT be solved with the current 1xRTT system. Within a year, when 2xRTT is available, this shouldn't be a problem.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that there might be a alternative to disabling the data connection.

The inability to take voice calls during data transmission is a network problem that CANNOT be solved with the current 1xRTT system. Within a year, when 2xRTT is available, this shouldn't be a problem.
    Right. But my problem is that my data connection is active (green) when it shouldent be. I underatand/expect calls to go to vmail when I am checking mail or browsing, but when my connection is still green, ten minutes after I have finished my data task, that is when I have a problem.

I guess this needs to be addressed with some type of firmware revision.

Until then I will disconnect my data connection after use

-rob
    A PERSISTENCE of the green arrows has, in my experience, been due to a software problem. What other data apps are you using, or do you have loaded on your Treo? Some apps, after all, can be QUITE active even after leaving them...

- m
  6.    #6  
    web apps;

aol
    blazer
    eudora mail and web
    clipping
    avantgo, doe not have wireless updates enabled-- but I do wireless sync to the server to update everything.

Anything stand out?

-rob
    AOL would be my best guess (lots of people have had problems with this software in the past). Blazer and web clipping strike me as very unlikely to be causing this; same with AvantGo.

I would delete AOL and see what happens.

- m
  8.    #8  
    I found out that after aol was run, things would go wacky. Even if it was totally shut down, even if I deletd it! I had to delete and then soft reset and that finally cured the problem, I think. I will consider it a victory after the next 48 hours.

Thanks for everyones help.

-rob