Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hope this isnt a repost - i havent been here in a bit..

i purchased my treo back in october and i wont lie - i beat the crap out of the little thing. I talked on it - i typed on it - i've dropped it on concrete at least half a dozen times. It was always floppin around in my jacket or my front jeans pocket. I paid 500 for this thing and 85/month for service - hell yeah i was gonna try to get my money's worth.

2 days ago, upon picking up the treo to make a phone call, i noticed that the lid opened a little too easy and rotated a bit too far. i took a look and a faint crack was visible on the right side joint right in the corner of the clear shield that ran right to the spine where the flip piece of the phone is socketed into the treo itself.

Within a dozen more times, the flip is now broken off the right side of the spine and the flip is literally hanging by 2-3 wires on the leftside of the spine.

Typically, i would be in tears or sadness or anger - depending on who or what caused the damage.

Luckily, I ran down 2 blocks to Circuit City and swapped it for a brand spanking new one.

so beware - i know i must not be the first nor the only one that this has happened to. At this point, I strongly recommend that if you dont have insurance on your treo unit - please go out and get it immediately. This unit is not designed for COMMERCIAL use and will not stand up to a beating.
    www.bubblespeed.com
    The same thing happened to my Treo. Same injury on the right hinge etc. I figured it was a defect, so I walked into the sprint store and they exchanged it for a new one on the spot (I didn't have insurance).

I had previously decided not to get the insurance because I really baby my Treo, now I realize that doesn't necessarily preclude something strange from happening.

I figure that most people on this board value their Treo as much as I do. If that's the case then I would echo the sentiments regarding purchasing insurance.

You can probably call sprint and get insurance if you so desire.
  3.    #3  
    i wonder how many people this has happened to? if its a common issue, handspring needs to address it somehow - if not for ourcurrent model but definitely for the next generation of flips.

i forgot to mention that i purchased the 3 year Extended Performance Warranty from Circuit City for 60 bucks when i first got my Treo. The best feature of the warranty is the fact that anytime in the next 3 yrs, i can choose to return my Treo for a full refund including a prorated portion of the warranty. I've been doing this for the last 5 yrs starting with Sprint's introduction of the Star Tac to its PCS service.
    www.bubblespeed.com
    Originally posted by DJOrient

so beware - i know i must not be the first nor the only one that this has happened to. At this point, I strongly recommend that if you dont have insurance on your treo unit - please go out and get it immediately. This unit is not designed for COMMERCIAL use and will not stand up to a beating.
    I had a similar experience last week. However, I don't abuse my phone but put about 3K minutes a month on it.

I called Sprint and was told that it was a "Known Treo Defect" and I should take it to any local Sprint Store and get a replacement and no replacement fee would apply.

The next morning I did just that and was told by the tech at the store that it was abuse and I had to contact the insurance carrier and pay the service fee and get one mailed to me in two weeks.

Not being easily persuaded to part with $35.00 I went to another Sprint Store and the phone was replace without charge to me AND they even gave me the charger, car adapter and earpiece in the NEW Treo package since it was a "Mfg defect".

So don't give up when the first Sprint Tech is not cooperative.

My lid broke. The problem is I NEVER used it as a phone. I only open it and close it when I check e-mail, etc. I could not believe that both Handspring and Sprint washed their hands off any responsibility. None would replace it for me. I had to get the insurance and wait a month with it broken in order to get a new one. Everyone was completely rude and unhelpful and I was sooo frustrated. Beware the lid!!! Treat it with care. Yeah, I know this should not happen, but they are more powerful than us. Because I can't live without my Treo, I end up better by getting the insurance.

Hope this saves a couple of you!
    same thing hapened to me. i've only had THIS treo for 2 mos. and it was in a case when I dropped it. I picked it up and sure enough, a crack on the left hinge. I didn't even bother trying to exchange it at sprint because I was told over the phone that they wouldn't cover physical damage. but after reading this post, i'm going to give it a try. I didn'y want to waste my insurance again. if I used my insurance again, they said they'd cancel it. so this is a known issue with handspring? the cracking lid?
    Just curious - what is the setup with the Treo 300 as far as using Handspring tech support? I currently have a Treo 180 (T-Mobile), but I'm looking at a 300 this spring when my contract ends. I had the EXACT same problem with the right hinge on my 180, and called Handspring Tech Support and they replaced it right away - they didn't even charge me the $25 fee for having a replacement sent (instead of sending my unit off to them for repair). So I figured it must be a known issue.

So I'm wondering whether anyone who has had this issue on the 300 has tried calling HS? Or can't you do that, since Sprint officially sells this phone? I mean, I didn't buy my 180 directly from HS (got it on amazon), but they still supported it and they were the ones who offered the warranty.

Just need to figure out what kind of warranty/insurance I'm going to need if I get a 300...
  8.    #8  
    if you're going to choose to go with the Treo 300 - simplify your life and save money by going with either Circuit City or Best Buy with their extended warranty program.

basically, anytime you want when within the warranty period, you can trade your phone back for the full amount paid for it - this way you dont lose the money you've invested in your phone. I've been doing this for 6 yrs now and i've gone thru about 5 phones. This is really the best deal going today.
    www.bubblespeed.com
    The right hinge broke on my Treo too about 3 months ago. All I did was flip it open to answer a call and the lid cracked a fell off held on by the 3 wires.

Since I was out of town on a biz trip at the time, I needed a quick fix and Crazy Glue did the trick.

I was quite ginger with it until I could get by a Sprint store, but the Crazy glue held up so well, I put off replacing it till last week when the right hinge broke again in a NEW location (about 1mm distal from the original crack).

I took it by a Sprint store which had a repair center and they were willing to replace it on the spot - no questions asked. However, they didn't have any in stock. They called up an order for me and the new one arrived Friday. The box did say reconditioned even though it looks like new.

I'm in the process of having my service xferred today.
    The right hinge broke on my Treo too about 3 months ago. All I did was flip it open to answer a call and the lid cracked a fell off held on by the 3 wires.

Since I was out of town on a biz trip at the time, I needed a quick fix and Crazy Glue did the trick.

I was quite ginger with it until I could get by a Sprint store, but the Crazy glue held up so well, I put off replacing it till last week when the right hinge broke again in a NEW location (about 1mm distal from the original crack).

I took it by a Sprint store which had a repair center and they were willing to replace it on the spot - no questions asked. However, they didn't have any in stock. They called up an order for me and the new one arrived Friday. The box did say reconditioned even though it looks like new.

I'm in the process of having my service xferred today.
    just checked the top right hinge on the inside and noticed an odd crack. It looks small, but it might grow so when i find the time, i will go to a sprint store to try to get it replaced as well. thanks for this thread everyone!
    I had the exact same problem. The morons at the Sprint store told me it was not a manufacturing/design defect and that I would have to go through the insurance. I raised hell until they agreed to give me a new phone.

It is a serious design defect and I bet very few of us will avoid the issue for more than 6-9 months.
    Same problem, only I had the CC service plan and notwithstanding the heavy pressure sales pitch of the salesperson when I bought the phone that "anything that goes wrong with the phone is covered" was accused by the store manager of "probably dropping it" and was then referred to the fine print in the warranty that excluded non-integral or non-essential (or something like that) knobs etc. I argued that there was no evidence on the phone of any abuse or dropping (which is true - I did NOT drop it.. it just broke) and that I was merely using this "non-essential hinge" for its intended purpose of making the device actually work as intended. I had read something about the hings problem on the boards here and told him it was a known problem and was then accused again of dropping and abusing the phone and reminded of the "we do not cover buttons" policy and was not so politely referred to my local sprint store with a "if its a known problem.. then I am sure they will take care of it for you" and another brush off.

Well... I went straight to the local Sprint store and they approved a trade in in about 15 seconds as it IS a known problem, which by the way the helpful folks at CC, as an authorized Sprint dealer, should have known about, and in any event, should have covered. I can understand the policy of CC in general to not want to get hit all the time by claims when actual abuse or similar non-defect damage has occurred in a small electronics device like a Treo, but you'd think they would do their homework a bit with Sprint ro at least look at a bulletin, which I assume exists since the Sprint store reacted so quickly.

Thank you Sprint for stepping up to the plate on this. Boo Hiss CC for shirking your obligations to paying customers who purchase your warranty plans.
    ETUTREO300
    I did eventually take it to Sprint and they exchanged it right then and there no questions asked. They said it was a known issue. But when I called Sprint they didn't know anything about the "known isuue" and said that it wasn't covered. Bottom line, never trust what one person says. Always go to the store in person.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by ETUTREO300
    .....accused by the store manager of "probably dropping it"....

... I had read something about the hings problem on the boards here and told him it was a known problem and was then accused again of dropping and abusing the phone and reminded of the "we do not cover buttons" policy and was not so politely referred to my local sprint store with a "if its a known problem.. then I am sure they will take care of it for you" and another brush off.

Well... I went straight to the local Sprint store and they approved a trade in in about 15 seconds as it IS a known problem, which by the way the helpful folks at CC, as an authorized Sprint dealer, should have known about...

...Boo Hiss CC for shirking your obligations to paying customers who purchase your warranty plans.
    ok - couple of things to avoid such a situation should it ever happen again -

1. the CC manager has the right to give u a hard time if the damage is "percieved" to be cosmestic or was done by the consumer. The best way around this is the generic "phone is dropping calls very often." This "problem" is never confirmed/checked by the CSR or manager.

2. Swapping out the phone at Sprint may seem to be the best solution for in this situation - but now you need to be aware that your extended service plan that you purchased thru CC is now void and null. CC keeps track of ESP thru both date of purchase AND SERIAL NUMBER of the item - ie, the ESN of your phone. Since you traded in your Treo to sprint and got another phone, your current phone does not have the extended warranty applied to it.

What i would do in this situation, is to contact the store manager at CC to rectify this situation ASAP. Otherwise you stand to lose the balance of your ESP.
    www.bubblespeed.com
    I suspect that Handspring may be jeapordizing its relationship with Sprint by failing to design a phone that can last over six months.
  17.    #17  
    with the limited number of manufacturers that are willing to invest in sprint's technology, i highly doubt sprint would be willing to prevent any major electronics firm from producing licensed phones for their customers.

think about the R&D that has to go in building a phone that can only be used by ONE carrier in the crowded US market.

Sprint only wishes Motorola would increase the line of phones they make for CDMA, let alone other maufacturers like Nokia. Frankly, I'm shocked that we're gonna receive a version of the highly touted sony ericson t68i
    www.bubblespeed.com
    I got my 300 the second week it was out - what does that make it, about 7 months old? The paint is worn off the back and all the corners, and today I noticed that the flip lid has cracked just below the left hinge. $500 for a cheap plastic case... Yes it is a cool phone, though it has tons of issues and shortcomings too, but why the heck didn't they make the case out of some kind of metal? $500 and after half a year of daily use it looks like a beat up toy...

The crack is a total design flaw, it's so obvious. It cracked in the thin border along the top right where it rests on the top of the hinge when it's open. If you flex the lid when it's open you see the plastic push in where it's cracked. The problem is there is no 'extra give' to allow the lid to hyper extend occasionally, so it does what all good plastic does - it snaps!

Dunc
    I'm amazed at how long it's taking them to find homes for their reconditioned 2-3-4 year old handheld models. It's a shame everything is patented these days so whatever one comes out with (graffiti, thumbpad, push email, etc) you gotta pay another company in order to implement it.
    David
    In my case, there was no visible damage to the lid or hinges. For some reason, however, I couldn't use my Treo if the lid was fully open. I could still use the phone with the lid closed, using the earbud, but the PDA was unusable. This occurred after only 3 months of normal use.

I called Handspring, who of course told me to contact Sprint. I also called CompUSA, because I had insurance on it. CompUSA told me to replace it through Sprint; Sprint told me to replace it through CompUSA. I finally took it in to Sprint and persuaded them to replace it (everyone agreed that it was defective). Although I'd been told to expect a reconditioned unit, they gave me a new one. Then I had to go to CompUSA to get the insurance switched over to the new serial number.

I've had the replacement for 2 months now, and no signs of problems.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast