Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    As you all know alot of the problems with the lid breaking is surely the thin plastic strip connecting the hinges. (Defection)

I believe one of the reasons it is breaking is from the OPENING SNAP when it comes to rest on the Stopping Plate over a period of time. I think this is the Main Killer.(that is why it is happening without even dropping it and catching everyone by Surprise wondering how did this happen!)

I put something soft on the stopping plate to buffer the stop rest so that it will rest SOFTLY when it hits the stopper on the OPENING SNAP.

Some suggestions.

1. a few thin layers of duct tape on top of each other on the stopper plate. (color will match pretty good on treo300)

2. A thin bead of rubber silicone on the stopper plate.

3. A thin long slice of sheet metal put ON the LID in the resting area with double sided tape to Really Strenghen it.( i know this is pushing it)

Take care.
    Last edited by HAPPY$BOBBY$; 06/21/2003 at 11:38 AM.
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).
    Originally posted by wz_man
    Well.. I received my phone next day air via UPS. It was a brand new one from the sprint customer service. I am quite impressed and very happy with sprint

Hope others have the same results!
    I'm glad it worked out for you. Your experience with the store manager is unreal, I can't imagine being treated like that in a store. What a jerk-off.

When I got my phone swapped, I called customer service and they've always been nice. She called the closest store for me while I was on the line to confirm that they would inspect and do the swap for me, and made me aware that they didn't have any in stock there.

I walked into the store the following day, told the counter guy what problems I had and he confirmed my address etc. I left with my old Treo and a pre-paid UPS bag for mailing it in when I get the refurb. It arrived the next day. The beauty of using the store is that they don't charge your credit card $499 during the cross-shipping.

All in all it worked out good. Ugh, hearing your story about that store manager going into your record and deleting customer service instructions really ticks me off.
    Originally posted by potatoho
    Ugh, hearing your story about that store manager going into your record and deleting customer service instructions really ticks me off.
    How about a 'peaceful' demonstration outside of his store. We could picket with signs and warn prospective customers of the treatment they will get inside, and call the news to make sure we're on cam when the police haul us away.
    David
    Mine just broke off yesterday...went into a Sprint Sales and Service Store (I guess they're different from an Express Store).

The also handed me a UPS pack to send back the broken phone when I received the new one...hopefully it comes very soon. I have a rubber band holding mine together now. I mentioned however that the phone should still be under the warranty and that I should not have to use the Sprint equipment replacement program that I am paying for...they agreed.

I was just looking at this thread last week and noticed a crack on the left side. When I called Sprint, they said that they were unaware of the defect and I could not get it replaced unless it actually broke.

Is it true that the new phone being sent has a better speakerphone? I thought I read somewhere in these threads that they corrected some problem with that.
    im so mad... all i did was open the treo and the hinge broke... I called *2 and they told me I had to go to a sprint store grr they are closed til monday...what do I tell them? the hinge was wobbly when I first got it in oct. please help
    Sprint -- Handspring, I am *pissed* off.

I had an inside buddy(Handspring) warn me about this common problem months ago -- after his broke. So, EVEN after being careful with the lid, mine just snapped the other day. The right side spring cover to be exact. Lid now holding on by the two left side wires. Sound familiar to everyone?

Of course this is a manufacturer's defect. No I didn't and WON'T buy insurance for a KNOWN defect. Sprint customer support at *2 just tried to do me a "favor" and take $75 off the purchase of a new set. When I told the droid that I knew this was a common problem, she suggested that I go to a local Sprint store.

So I'm headed there first thing tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, my anger is brewing to the point of... (well I don't want this to become evidence against me!)

People: unless I'm bought off quickly tomorrow by the FRIENDLY and FREE replacement of my defective device, I'm ready to begin a holy crusade against these folks. With MANUFACTURER RECALL my ultimate goal. I refuse to buy insurance to cover for defective design and workmanship. I say this because I have little faith that this won't happen again. And what then? Presuming they replace it without any more hassle this time?

I'm one of those principle freaks. Many of you may believe $4/month is unfair but worth it. Fu** that. The warpath drums are beginning to rumble...

(Ok, I'm all ears to those of you unclouded by my level of outrage and anger. What are your thoughts and reccs on this matter?)
    --
    jt
    i went to an affiliated sprint store and they told me they could replace the phone cuz it was dropped... I acknowledge that it has some deep grooves on the right side but I know that didn't cause the hinge to break... I just enrolled in the replacement program...anyone have any ideas please help
    Hey guerrero,

After speaking to a Sprint store rep myself and then checking with folks I know at Handspring, it sounds like you've done what you're supposed to do... sign on to the insurance/replacement program. This also seems to extend your contract with Sprint for another year.

Personally, I'm not going for it. Fortunately, there are other people around town that feel similarly and have experience and resources to get these kinds of consumer fraud matters settled. Either by corrective action or punitive measures. There are Handspring and Sprint employees willing to back the assertion that this is a manufacturer's defect. This is going to take time of course -- which is why most victims go the route you've chosen. Don't misunderstand me, I thought about going the same route. But for some reason, my outrage outweighs my desire for expediency.

I'm going to ride out my contract until the end of the year and then shop carefully for another carrier. As soon as I terminate phone service, I'm hoping I can just get rid of the lid part and continue using the Treo's PDA functions.

Sorry, no quick solutions for you. Let us know how your replacement goes...
    --
    jt
    im going to a houston store this weekend.. to see if i can get it replaced at a national store... im hoping and praying that they will replace it.. i did get the replacement plan thing for 4 dollars a month and hope that it can be replaced that way if they wont replace it a the sprint store.. like i said i talked to the store here and customer service but they wont help me.. so i will keep u updated on what happents this weekend..
    thanks for the help
    Originally posted by guerrero023
    im going to a houston store this weekend.. to see if i can get it replaced at a national store... im hoping and praying that they will replace it.. i did get the replacement plan thing for 4 dollars a month and hope that it can be replaced that way if they wont replace it a the sprint store.. like i said i talked to the store here and customer service but they wont help me.. so i will keep u updated on what happents this weekend..
    thanks for the help
    Call the location before you go. Get their assurance that they have a replacement unit for you. FWIW, I went to the one out by the Galleria (Post Oak and San Felipe, I think) to get mine replaced.
    Here's my quick story. I got my first treo 300 in december and by the end of march the right hinge on the lid had broken. I took it to a sprint store and they gave me a hard time about it being used and how they didn't *have* to replace but that they would anyway because it was a $500 phone. So they had a new one shipped to me while I used the broken phone for a couple of days. Fast forward to this afternoon. WHAMO! Now my second treo 300 is broken with the same problem! This has to be some sort of a defect. Both phones seems to have lasted me about 3 months, no more! This is awful! A $500 phone that only lasts 3 months! Now I have to head back to another sprint store and see if I can get this second phone replaced and just hope and pray that it lasts me until the 600 comes out in the fall.
    At first I was a bit upset to see the treo 600 won't have a lid because I *do* like the idea of having a lid, however, if this is what it means to have a lid then forget it!
    I have the same exact problem: right hinge has a hairline (and growing) fracture in it. I am _so_ relieved to see that others have had this problem and been able to resolve it fairly painlessly. I'm going to stop by a Sprint store this week and see if they will replace it for free. I purchased my Treo 300 from Circuit City, but turned down the extended service plan (stupid me). I'll post back with my experience with the exchange.
    Well, I finally made it to the Sprint store in Virginia Beach, VA on June 20th, and after waiting more than half an hour in a customer service line that wrapped around twice, I was greeted with suprisingly good service! The person behind the counter took a look at the lid, which had completely broken off and was just dangling by 2 thin wires, and didn't look suprised at all. After returning from a brief trip to the back (presumably to show a technician), she asked me where I had purchased my Treo. I told her Circuit City and that I hadn't purchased the extended warranty. She said that was no problem, and that they would send me a new one within 1-3 business days! Not bad.

I arrived at my hotel today (the 23rd) to find the replacement Treo 300 waiting for me in my room. Wow, that was quick. The replacement Treo came in a box labeled "certified reconditioned," but it seems as good as new to me (so far) -- the casing, buttons and lid show no signs of wear. Transferring the data from the old to new device was as easy a sycning the old then the new with my laptop. A 20 minute call to Sprint (most of the minutes spent dealing with the automated system) were all that was needed to activate the new phone a deactivate the old.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my experience with the customer service at the Sprint store. They did what they should do: replace a defective device for free, even though I didn't purchase it from Sprint.

My only question is: how long will it take for my new (reconditioned) Treo to break the same way my old one did? The lid is still just as fragile as before... I'm hoping it will last me into late fall when I plan to upgrade to the new 600
    Wow -- for those of you that are just oh so satisfied with a replacement of this defective device that you KNOW will eventually break too... well I would genuinely appreciate a couple of benjamins my way! Seriously, this is YOUR money you're using? I want Sprint/Handspring to give me a defect free device! (no lectures here please, I am aware of product defects we all live with everyday... the difference here is this is NOT one of them).

Alright, my update for anyone that cares -->

After a couple of ridiculous e-mail conversations(e-mail trails furnishable upon request) with Sprint customer service(through that fine website of theirs), I basically got the direction we all already know... go to a Sprint PCS store and have a technician verify that this defect is one considered covered by the Handspring one year product warranty. First store I went to said "Neh -- that's not covered". Whew, I'm so glad I didn't throttle the guy right there. I don't have a police record of any kind -- yet!
    Hence, my second e-mail to customer service and their reply of the same instructions. Of course, the whole time here, I'm hoping they are noting my record with a "geeez, take care of this guy before he DOES take out one of us!"
    SO, I go to another store and lo and behold. They are pleasant and inform me that my replacement will be sent to me in 2-4 biz days. I also got the question of, "What do I do WHEN this happens again?" answered. They'll replace it for me -- right up until my year ownership mark(that Handspring warranty). Then all bets are off.

So my question for the rest of you is... you're satisfied with this? I just found the site, http://www.sprintpcs-sucks.org, after reading the thread on here about the firmware update. The behavior of this company is over the top! And I used to work for them in ole Overland Park, KS. When I got my Treo 300, I thought "Hey this company has come far from its roots as local telcos". So much for that short lived since of pride.

I'm not a lawyer and I'm not about to spend the time to become one, but I'll put in a little a bit of time to change this kind of behavior. If everyone did that, we might start seeing more responsive orgs/govs/coms in this country. Any vicitim of this defect willing to put your name on a list, so we can begin counting and tracking this problem. There may be a bored/obsessed lawyer out there willing to pursue this matter in legal channels. Get your investment back? Get an apology? ANY interest here?

And again, for those that don't sweat this kind of thang... help me out. I'll give you my paypal address and we can start a fund for a pda/phone replacement for me.
    --
    jt
    The flip may be misnamed...perhaps it is more aptly peel back and lay it down gently...

Would it make a difference in preserving the lid life if it was peeled back gently to the set position rather than flipped open?

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Originally posted by senor_jt

After a couple of ridiculous e-mail conversations(e-mail trails furnishable upon request) with Sprint customer service(through that fine website of theirs), I basically got the direction we all already know... go to a Sprint PCS store and have a technician verify that this defect is one considered covered by the Handspring one year product warranty. First store I went to said "Neh -- that's not covered". Whew, I'm so glad I didn't throttle the guy right there. I don't have a police record of any kind -- yet!
    Hence, my second e-mail to customer service and their reply of the same instructions. Of course, the whole time here, I'm hoping they are noting my record with a "geeez, take care of this guy before he DOES take out one of us!"
    SO, I go to another store and lo and behold. They are pleasant and inform me that my replacement will be sent to me in 2-4 biz days. I also got the question of, "What do I do WHEN this happens again?" answered. They'll replace it for me -- right up until my year ownership mark(that Handspring warranty). Then all bets are off.

I'm not a lawyer and I'm not about to spend the time to become one, but I'll put in a little a bit of time to change this kind of behavior. If everyone did that, we might start seeing more responsive orgs/govs/coms in this country. Any vicitim of this defect willing to put your name on a list, so we can begin counting and tracking this problem. There may be a bored/obsessed lawyer out there willing to pursue this matter in legal channels. Get your investment back? Get an apology? ANY interest here?
    With the repeated references to "throttling" or "taking out" people and you not yet having a record, I doubt any of the people who have had this problem would want to put their name with yours on a list of any kind.
    Originally posted by senor_jt
    So my question for the rest of you is... you're satisfied with this?
    Yes. Absolutely. When my phone broke, I went a store and walked out with a new Treo. No major problem. Just had to make sure they had a replacement for me before I went to the store (which seems reasonable as you cannot expect them to magically create one out of thin are). So yeah, I'm satisfied completely. Sprint rocks in my experience!
    I just had my second Treo broken lid experience.
    Whatsup everybody, I listened to everybody on this site, and got my Treo swapped w/ a refurbished one right in the store! I first called in to make sure they had one in stock like all you said, and they said yes. I went into the Sprint sales and service store in Rolling Meadows, Chicago, IL, and explained to them that the broken right hinge is a known manufacture's defect and it should be covered under Handspring's 1 year warranty. I told them, I would have gotten documentation from Handspring if that were possible, and that I would have talked to Donna Dubinsky thru email or letter even. Well, they said they would give me a replacement no problem and asked for my telephone number, etc. And they gave me a new refurbished replacement on the spot. Just make sure there's a technician in.

Thank you all treocentrallers! You guys are great....man I thought I was never gonna get my replacement. Well, I think I'm gonna still buy the insurance plan now, cause i know my phone will break in 4 months. I first bought my phone last September, and I don't want to take any chances....and does anyone know how much we'll get back for tradeup value to the Treo 600? And does our 300 have to be in any condition? Cause I know in 4 months, my 300 is gonna be all paint-faded and chipped, with a loose hinge again...any thoughts?
    Okay...I thought this was just a group of whiners that abused their phones and wanted new ones.

My phone is not quite three months old. I have used it to talk without a headset less than a dozen times...and today I noticed the flip felt a little loose...upon closer inspection there is a hairlinecrack starting at the edge of the right hinge moving accross the hinge.

Couple this with the really pitiful battery life and I think I'm done with Treos.

Hey...everyone can make a mistake...but the device has been out quite a while now and slipstreaming a hinge fix would have been nice.

Well, tomorrow I'll have inflict Sprint Customer service on myself and see if I can't get a replacement phone.

...ken
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast