Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Am I missing something here? Normally I dont have any power usage problems but i was in a room watching a show for 2 hrs where I got no service. I left to find my battery more than half drained from full on entering, which leads me to believe that it broadcasts at full power (500mW if i recall) trying to find the Sprint Network...

My old Sanyo regular phone had a sleep mode so if it couldnt access the network for 10 min it'd stop for 5 min and start again to conserve power ... Any 3rd party apps for the treo that might do something similar?

rk
    That happens daily at my house. It's a pretty obvious bug that they really need to fix STAT. I have to charge several times a day because I dip in and out of coverage depending on where I sit.

Last week I went to a show for a couple of days and had fairly good coverage. My jaw dropped when I saw that my battery only went down 25% during a whole business day of pretty hard usage.
  3.    #3  
    What would it take to fix?
    Originally posted by rkassim
    What would it take to fix?
    The consensus is that it can be fixed through software. So I'd say they need better quality control. This stuff really should be a priority. It's not rocket science. Just monitor some radio parms and reinitialize the thing when it freaks out, assuming that's what the problem is.

Ironically the ONLY software that crashes my Treo is Blazer and the Network code, both done by Handspring. That's pretty sad. This is actually my first Handspring device. Has Handspring always been this lax with software updates? I can remember Palm being pretty top-notch with updates.
    Last edited by potatoho; 02/22/2003 at 04:23 AM.
    Has Handspring always been this lax with software updates?
    they are still using palm os 3.5!

-rob
    Originally posted by robber

they are still using palm os 3.5!

-rob
    Yes, but...they included "some" 4.0 extensions. The hardware platform cannot be upgraded to 5.0 (processor limitation). What you see is what you get.
  7.    #7  
    Anyone willing to make an app to do it?

blazer is quite unstable for me as well...
    Originally posted by rkassim
    Anyone willing to make an app to do it?

blazer is quite unstable for me as well...
    An app to do what.. Fix the power suck? I'm not too sure it can be done easily without inside access. What I will do myself however is try to log the power usage throughout the day, or during some activity. Something doesn't add up.
    I have submitted several battery posting threads with very little feedback on what I am seeing. Good signal, very good battery life. If bad signal (inside a building for a while), TREO kicks into "turbo drain the battery mode". I also think this is a software bug (and yes...i have done all battery managment i can think of; lower backlight, beam receive off, turn off digital roaming, etc.)

A side effect as well (for me) is that when I am out of signal for a while, it seems the only way I can reconnect to the network is a soft reset (soft reset + turn radio back on). Is this a true for others as well (need soft reset to turn radio back on). Any suggestions or work arounds for this is greatly appreciated.
    I know that I am fighting two problems.

1. As described in this thread. Poor coverage areas- battery drain.

2. And more significant. Active (green) data transmissions when no data apps are running. Not only does this kill the battery, but calls go strait to voicemail.

I have found that resetting the vision connection after using the data app usually takes care of the problem. There should be someone who could write an app to dis/reconnect after use of those data friendly apps. Even if it had to be manually intiated, it would still be better than --preferences--network-disconnect-wait-wait-reconnect, which is what I am doing know.

Very frusterating...
    -rob
    As much as I hate this, I'm not sure we can really blame Handspring on this, or call it a "bug." When you're in a low (or no) signal area, wouldn't it seem natural that the phone would try extra hard to get/maintain a signal? Doing that will require using more power. It just seems natural to me. IMO, the only real solution is for Sprint to put more towers up.

Scott
    Originally posted by Scott R
    As much as I hate this, I'm not sure we can really blame Handspring on this, or call it a "bug." When you're in a low (or no) signal area, wouldn't it seem natural that the phone would try extra hard to get/maintain a signal? Doing that will require using more power. It just seems natural to me. IMO, the only real solution is for Sprint to put more towers up.
    The point is, that we're not talking about a miniscule reduction in battery life. Sometimes mine will drain in less than an hour once it goes into that mode. Just last night I had 50%, and then I let it sit on my desk for no more than 45 minutes. I heard a bleep and low and behold it was down to 2%!!!

Most days are not like that, but rather it just seems to drain .08V every hour or so with very minimal, if any, network activity. As I type this my Treo is actually warm on the backside, that heat has to be coming from some nasty, erroneous activity of the radio because other than blinking red it's not doing Jack.
    I find this to be a problem too but I'm not convinced it's a Handspring or Treo specific problem. I had the exact same problem with my Kyocera 6035 - if you were out of Sprint range, the battery would drain if the phone didn't crash first (which usually happened). Thinking back on it - when I used to have a plain old Samsung cell phone - it too would crash when I would drive out of range of the cell site. I always set my phone not to roam so I think the phones just use a lot of juice when they search for and can't find a Sprint signal - and then finally crash.
    Nonetheless, I love my Treo and just keep an eye on it and turn off the wireless connection when I am out of range for an extended period on time.
    I'm thinking that someone might be able to create a hack/app to deal with this, though it wouldn't be perfect. Basically, the app would start some sort of timer when the signal is lost. After 10 minutes or so, it would turn off the wireless mode. It would then turn the wireless mode back on xx minutes later to check to see it could get a signal. If not...back to sleep for xx minutes. Of course, this could be annoying because if you happen to move into a signal area during the time it was "asleep" but then moved back out of the coverage area when the timer was up, it would have missed an opportunity to download new email, etc.

Any other ideas?

Scott
    That's kinda my dilemma. In the house I may have 1 bar or 0 bar signal depending on which chair I sit in. So it fluctuates, which actually doesn't bother me so much, other than the fact that the battery drain happens.

I'm going to disable all data checks etc, and leave it sitting in a 1 bar signal area for a while.
    No kidding. I live in a "rural" setting, and I get 1 pole (no bar) reception at home. Imagine my surprise when I find that battery is drained and no data in the apps. It's happened twice now so I thought I'd see if any one else is having the problem.

I have tried to get into the habit of resetting the os when I get home. I don't always remember to disable the wireless so it's an even gamble that I would remember to reset, but when I have it's worked.

I'm surprised that the Treo doesn't send out a pretty sharp howl when the battery gets too low. Who cares about the other stuff (in/out of range, timing etc)
    Originally posted by Bruce Coe
    No kidding. I live in a "rural" setting, and I get 1 pole (no bar) reception at home. Imagine my surprise when I find that battery is drained and no data in the apps.
    This confuses me. According to Handspring's instruction manual PDF, when the battery gets low it will shut off the wireless mode. I believe it said something about being able to keep your data intact for three days in this state. Is this wrong?

Scott
    I Dunno.
    the whole thing struck me as funny when it happened. I can imagine that if the battery life got to low the Treo would go into some kind of preservation state and retain all contacts, date book entries etc, but twice now I have woken up to a dead unit though it retains the cell phone and blazer configs (but not time and date, favorites, speed dial and other basic prefs).

Strikes me as strange, and I have to say that the reason it is so troublesome is that I love the Treo. It's pretty much replaced my brain.
    Originally posted by Bruce Coe
    I Dunno.
    the whole thing struck me as funny when it happened. I can imagine that if the battery life got to low the Treo would go into some kind of preservation state and retain all contacts, date book entries etc, but twice now I have woken up to a dead unit though it retains the cell phone and blazer configs (but not time and date, favorites, speed dial and other basic prefs).

Strikes me as strange, and I have to say that the reason it is so troublesome is that I love the Treo. It's pretty much replaced my brain.
    Bruce,

When you say that "twice now I have woken up to a dead unit" it makes me wonder what your normal charge routine is?

With every cellphone I have ever owned from the very first one (except for the old original ni-cad which had to be run down to avoid a memory effect), up to and including my Treo, my routine has been approximately as follows, which I have always assumed is the way it is supposed to be done. At the risk of sounding silly or preachy, here it is:

I keep the charger on my dresser, right next to the tray into which I empty my pockets. When I come home from work and change and empty my pockets etc., I automatically plug my Treo (or previous cellphone) into the charger. I take it out the next morning when I am getting dressed to go to work.

I never look at the battery indicator to decide whether to put it in the charger - I simply do it.

When you say you have woken up twice to a dead unit, where was your Treo when you woke up? Did it go dead while in the charger? If it was not in the charger while you were sleeping, why wasn't it? Maybe you should reconsider your routine?

Hope I haven't overstepped my bounds here in this post. I only mean to try to be helpful to you.

Regards,

NateS
    Last edited by NateS; 02/24/2003 at 07:29 AM.
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Okay I just finished trying an experiment with my Treo 300. Very simple, I just wanted to see how quickly the battery would drain with various signal indicator strengths. Though the test is simple, I am actually surprised at how easily the problem can be illustrated.

I turned off all of my data stuff, SMS email etc. Then I found some areas in the house where signal was at different levels, and I left the device in those places to sit.

I left the Treo 300 in an area of coverage, with one dot showing.

Starting at 4.12V, after 12 hours = 4.04V

I then, recharged of course, left the Treo 300 in an area with a signal but no dot showing.

Starting at 4.12V, after 12 hours = 4.04V

That impresses me, and I wish wish wish it would work like that always. I mean it just goes and goes.

I recharged, and then moved the Treo 300 to where there was no signal. I left it where it simply flashed red the whole time.

Starting at 4.12V, after 2 hours = 3.88V, after 6 hours = 3.69V

That's ridiculous!!!

Clearly there is something weird going on here. When I inspected the power load, via pgup & launcher title tap, the radio wasn't drawing any more load than I'd seen it with good reception. It was like 382mW with 450mW blips maybe every 10 seconds. Nothing I haven't seen while doing that with a signal.

So I don't know what's wrong. I had suspected the radio, but now I'm leaning towards the PalmOS side. Perhaps there is some periodic wake-up every few seconds, or a spurious interrupt which causes the Treo to come out of sleep.

Or for that matter, maybe the radio normally goes into lower-power mode when you don't have the screen on, and I just can't see it. Perhaps it just never enters this mode when the radio is flashing red.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast