Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Okay I added Day & Week settings for on/off times. You have two modes via a pushbutton, and selecting Week gives you a screen where you can set an on/off for each day of the week.

Keep in mind that it uses strict times, and not TV times So when you want your phone on at 8AM and off at 2AM the next morning, you must use the next day's off time for the 2AM. You may leave any entry as N/A which means that there will be no change to the phone status.

Here's also a suggestion for usage. If you want to temporarily disable your on/off schedule, simply choose Day and set both to N/A. It keeps the Day and Week settings as separate.

What else what else. Oh yeah, the "Enable phone on reset" tries to use these times when applicable to determine when it should turn the phone back on after a reset; i.e. if you have strict on/off settings, then it will only enable it after a reset if it falls within those time windows. However, it also recognizes open-ended settings and makes the assumption that it should turn it on.

For example, if you said Monday 8AM on, and then there is no off time for the rest of the week, it will assume that "Enable phone on reset" should always do it. Furthermore, it also makes that assumption if there is no schedule or only an off time. Anyways, that's all pretty inconsequential. Probably the smarter thing to do was simply to restore the phone to whatever state it was in prior to reset -- but it's not worth worrying about.

The next feature I'm going to add is something suggested earlier. A way to attempt xxx tries at yyy intervals of turning on the phone while coverage is lost. In my area, I have to turn off the phone within 1 minute of coverage loss or it will go into the blink of death perhaps 50% of the time. So what I'm going to do is add an option which let's it attempt to turn on the phone a max of xxx times, at an interval of yyy. Perhaps then I'll tell it to try at 10 minute intervals a max of 6 times or something.

Here's 0.4 with the Day & Week on/off times:
    http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/work/treohelper.zip
    That's great thanks a lot!!!

One question. If the phone is in use (either voice or data) will it still turn the phone off?

Thanks for your work
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Thanks for adding multiple days and on/off times. I can now sleep late on weekeneds

I'm still having problems with the network being dropped in my area. It seems worse in the afternoon around here. I really haven't noticed any difference using any of the settings.

It seems that even when I get a strong signal (3 to 4 bars) sometimes I cannot connect to the network.

Sure hope someone figures this out.

Thanks again.
    Originally posted by richlee91
    One question. If the phone is in use (either voice or data) will it still turn the phone off?
    There is only one option which turns the phone off. "Phone off if no coverage in: xxx". Yes if you are on the phone and you lose coverage (network search, i.e. red blinking) for whatever continuous length of time you set as xxx; i.e. 1 min up to 3 hour, then it will turn off the phone. But of course, your phone wouldn't really be in use if it lost coverage for longer than a few seconds

That option is an attempt to keep the 300 from staying in high drain network search mode for an extended period of time. One of the reasons is because some owners notice that after a certain duration of network search, it often goes into blink of death mode which means the light keeps flashing regardless of whether the phone is on or off, and it requires a pin reset to get it to work again.
    Originally posted by AirData
    I'm still having problems with the network being dropped in my area. It seems worse in the afternoon around here.
    Speaking of which, I haven't gotten a signal here is Daytona Florida since this morning. Nothing at all.. hrm. I guess it's time for a road trip.
    Originally posted by potatoho
    [B]The next feature I'm going to add is something suggested earlier. A way to attempt xxx tries at yyy intervals of turning on the phone while coverage is lost. In my area, I have to turn off the phone within 1 minute of coverage loss or it will go into the blink of death perhaps 50% of the time. So what I'm going to do is add an option which let's it attempt to turn on the phone a max of xxx times, at an interval of yyy. Perhaps then I'll tell it to try at 10 minute intervals a max of 6 times or something.
    YES YES YES YES....
    GO GO GO GO!!!!!!

My sprint coverage from my house has been CR*P now for the past month. Worked great up to that time. I don't think I ever dropped the signal more than 2 times in that whole 4 years I've been on the Sprint. And I've just started having the "blink of death" happen about every other day.
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    New stuff:

- More times for lid-closed auto-off etc.

- Drop net (no coverage) in xxx. This used to be a checkbox, but now is a time. I believe this to be helpful with regard to the turbo drain mode. I set mine for 10 seconds.. it simply means that it will shutdown the 3G connection if the phone is red flashing continuously for 10 seconds. Note that since I changed from a checkbox to a time, your default setting may be weird so you should check it.

- Max tries xxx every yyy. Terse wording I know. It refers to the "Phone off if no coverage in xxx" option above it. If TreoHelper has turned off the phone due to the "Phone off" option, then it will turn it on at yyy intervals, up to xxx times. Whenever signal is achieved, it will restore the xxx counter.

- Auto-OK Connection Progress Dialog. This is the newest option. It recognizes when a connection login attempt has failed, and it dismisses the dialog. Sadly there appears to be no system preference for this, so it had to be done programmatically. Though it uses a fairly safe mechanism. Handspring has a function specifically for determining whether the "connection failed" dialog is on the screen. And believe it or not, they have a function which allows you to dismiss it. So it was simply a matter of *when* to use these functions. Through trial and error I found that phnEvtSubscriber event occurs during the login process just prior to this dialog popping up. At that point, I initiate a 2 second timer, and when it expires I determine if the dialog is up and needs to be dismissed. However, due to my reliance on phnEvtSubscriber it doesn't work if the phone is not actually *on*, so you need to take that into account.

Ok what else. Let me tell you my current settings, which have been going good for me so far.

Phone off if no coverage in: 1 min
    Drop net (no coverage) in: 10 sec

The Drop net (no coverage) I believe is helpful for those suffering the turbo drain syndrome. It's only been a few days so I can't say for sure. My current theory is that if you allow a 3G connection to stay on while it lingers in and out of coverage, that makes the radio sorta freak out or something and causes turbo drain syndrome. Just a theory.. has anyone seen turbo drain syndrome *without* 3G being on?

The Phone off.. 1 min is my old setting, which I found was needed to avoid the blink of death I often get. Though I may have to retest that with longer settings now that I have the Drop net active. Perhaps that is also part of the problem.

As always, make sure you have a recent hotsync backup. You never know..

TreoHelper 0.5:
    http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/work/treohelper.zip
    Great work potatoho. I'm not quite ready to install this just yet, since I haven't had a strong need for always-on email just yet, and I've been in the habit of turning off my phone when I get home, but I want to eventually leave the thing on as much as possible. Please post back when you've had this thing running for a week to let us know if it's definitely improved things for you.

Scott
    In TreoHelper:

Is there a corolation between the signal strength indicator and the SignalQuality() reading? I often see a number about 90, while I have either 3 bars or no bars.

Any description of the GetPhoneCallSatatus() bits you are showing?

I think that one of my "major" problems with my current signal strength at home is that the phone will ping pong back and forth many times all within a minute or so. It's enough time that the phone goes "Red Blink", and then back to "green" (which causes the screen to come on and drain even more power, etc.)

Is the Max Tries: meant to limit the number of retries the phone will take to connect within a certain time range?

Thanks for providing this great tool BTW. If I had more time, I would help out with the coding.
    Well I just had the blink of death about 15 minutes ago, even with my 1 minute phone off setting. Gotta be some kind of network interaction with the firmware, as it seems to happen only during certain blocks of times, presumably when the network is busiest or something. I've got no idea how to fix that particular problem. I think that's something for Handspring and Sprint to work on. So far though the turbo drain mode hasn't happened.
    Originally posted by Bryan Nystrom
    Is there a corolation between the signal strength indicator and the SignalQuality() reading? I often see a number about 90, while I have either 3 bars or no bars.
    I believe it is in -dB. So, as it reads, something like 90 would be better than something like 100. Interesting that you see 90 with no bars on the screen. That screen is updated once/second but the signal gadget at the top is updated by the Handspring code. I sometimes see that it doesn't change properly, haven't noticed it in this app, but I do see it on apps where I've put multiple indicators on multiple screens.

Usually though I do see that it often reports the last number it had when signal is lost, until it comes back. On mine, I'm usually at 104-106 and signal is lost around 108.

Any description of the GetPhoneCallSatatus() bits you are showing?

On the 'i' in the About screen I mention that a little. GetPhoneCallStatus() returns a bitmap:

0x00000001 voice line1
    0x00000002 voice line2
    0x00000004 data
    0x00000008 GPRS/CDMA(grey)
    0x00000010 CDMA(green)

Is the Max Tries: meant to limit the number of retries the phone will take to connect within a certain time range?

It is only for how many attempts at powering on the phone to make. It's only when you set the setting above it "Phone off if no coverage." For example, let's say you have "Phone off if no coverage in: 5 min". And you have "Max Tries: 5 every 10 min."

If the signal goes away for 5 continous minutes, TreoHelper will turn off the phone. Then in 10 minutes it will turn it on (try #1). If no signal is present for the next 5 continuous minutes, it will turn off again. Another 10 minutes and it will try to turn it on again (try #2). After 5 attempts, it will stop trying to turn it on again. If at any time, however, a signal is found, it will reset the try counter.

Hrm that reminds me. I was supposed to test to make sure a retry attempt was within your assigned phone on/off schedule. I'll put that in the next version, it's just a one-liner.
  12.    #92  
    wow! Blink of Death! I love the name...

I floated off for a few days and came back to see two new software updates and a lot of tech talk Can't wait to see if we fix it!
    I'll confirm that the RBoD is occuring. I just saw the same thing today with the settings you recommended. Too bad. I'm still grateful for all your efforts towards this. Just wish I knew that HandSpring/Sprint were putting as much time in on it as we are loosing.

Thanks for the explainations. Sorry I didn't notice the (i) button in the About dialog. I'll take a look there for further reference before shooting off Q's.

Anyone know if it does any good to complain about the recent poor reception at my location (to Sprint that is)? Or will Sprint just brush me off and say that there must be some new "structure" in my area that is now causing the signal loose. (Hard to believe since I live in a 40 year old neighborhood with nothing possibly "new" between my location and the nearest Spring tower.)

Funny thing is, the signal varries depending on the time of day. At times, the signal is acceptable, then later at night or in the morning, the thing ping pongs back and forth with now signal at all, to mig levels.
    Last edited by Bryan Nystrom; 03/16/2003 at 10:16 PM.
    Originally posted by Bryan Nystrom
    I'll confirm that the RBoD is occuring. I just saw the same thing today with the settings you recommended. Too bad. I'm still grateful for all your efforts towards this. Just wish I knew that HandSpring/Sprint were putting as much time in on it as we are loosing.
    Yeah I got a rbod today too. How about turbo drains? Mine's been a champ so far. I must have been losing tons of juice due to the turbo drains throughout the day. Nowadays the voltage actually appears to remain static.. whereas that sucker would drain at least .04v every hour prior to my 10 sec dropnet setting.

I do believe it's the same thing that people suspected all along, with regard to the turbo drain. That if you disconnect the 3G when you're done using it, it doesn't go into turbo drain. But to extend that, I believe there's also a syndrome of micro drains associated with a 3G connection during a loss of coverage.. such that there is some kind of data-doodad which it feels compelled to exchange with the tower whenever it goes into and out of tower registration.

What's even funnier, and I don't have any hard evidence of this, but I have observed that the phone's perception of "signal" or loss thereof, is exacerbated when these data-doodads get exchanged. I've noticed that it seems to be slightly more relaxed with changing to red blink mode if the 3G is not active at the time. It's a little hard to judge that, but I have mine set on "service tone" and it really does make less beeps.

Your situation sounds a lot like mine, with your signal strength troubles. Have you noticed any change in voltage losses with the 10 second dropnet setting? Not sure if you had that problem.
    Originally posted by potatoho

Your situation sounds a lot like mine, with your signal strength troubles. Have you noticed any change in voltage losses with the 10 second dropnet setting? Not sure if you had that problem.
    So far, I've not hit rock bottom with the battery since having the TH monitor it. I also bumped up my nighly "Off network" time by about an hour, so that may have helped also. (I still use TreoTools for on/off settings.)
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
  16.    #96  
    new software rocks!
    Originally posted by rkassim
    new software rocks!
    potatoho, can you comment as to how your experience has been now that you've been using your software for a while? I'm very interested in this, but hadn't bothered to download it because I've been in the habit of turning off my phone when I get home and so it hadn't been a huge deal for me yet. However, I had planned in the short term to set my Snappermail to start fetching mail periodically. Also, my wife's phone recently got left in her purse (turned on) overnight and ended up being completely dead with all data gone, requiring me to reinstall tons of stuff and her losing a few notes that hadn't been synced. So, I'll probably be downloading your app very soon and was curious what the verdict was.

Scott
    Originally posted by Scott R
    potatoho, can you comment as to how your experience has been now that you've been using your software for a while?
    Now of course you just jinxed me. I was all set to deliver a sterling report of TH, and then I got some weird new strain of turbo drain when I went to make a phone call. But let's brush that aside until I classify that one.

My battery was pretty bad, making me charge several times a day. I have chargers all over the place, one by the bed, by each computer, in the car, two battery extenders, and I even have a Treo USB charger cable on my cable TV box. My battery was like sand dripping out of an hourglass.

Experimenting with different settings, there have been only two which gave relief. Shutting down the radio within 2 minutes of coverage loss, has given me 99% protection against blink of death. Blink of death is a contributor to battery drain, but that's not its claim to fame. Its main appeal is that it makes you do a pin reset to get any signal back. I experimented with longer times, 3-4 minutes etc, and it all depends on what your reception is like, and apparently a bunch of other factors. Some days it would be ok with longer times out of coverage, and some days anything longer than 2 minutes out of coverage would cause blink of death.

Another problem, turbo drain, is what I suspect was causing my main battery problem. It is thankfully gone for me. The symptom here is that your device will get hot and the battery will go dead within an hour or less. It can easily whop off 20% of your battery in very short order before you notice it, and so often times this happens and you notice it, and correct it by resetting or whatnot. As was my experience, I'd look at my battery throughout the day and see it inexplicably lower. I blamed my "usage" and other things like my background mail retrieval, and so I optimized and optimized and yet saw no relief.

My guess is that turbo drain is caused by the 3G being active while the device goes out of coverage. I think others have experienced better performance when they set the network to disconnect after every session, and in fact that has been the prescribed solution to turbo drain, to go into Blazer and do a disconnect. That's annoying to have to do, so I added some "Drop net" timers to TH. These are timers used to disconnect the network based on some conditions. By experimenting, I found the one which works best for me, and that's the one to drop the network when coverage is lost.

So I set mine to drop net when coverage is lost for 15 seconds. Thus I get to keep my 3G active unless I sit in a poor coverage area for at least 15 continuous seconds, and then it will simply disconnect the network. I find that prevents a turbo drain from starting. I have experimented with long values, such as 30 seconds, but I had an occasional turbo drain from that, so I'm sticking with 15 until I see one.

There are still weird situations. A week or so ago, my cable modem connection went out. When I went to check my mail from the Treo, in which I go directly to my IP, I found that it would wait and wait and wait. Instead of coming back immediately and telling me my IP couldn't be reached, it would sit there for several minutes.. and so I holstered the Treo. Well by the time I got back into the car, the screen was white and I had a looping reset which required me to hard reset so I could use the phone. Somehow I think the long wait when connecting to a non-connected IP tickled a funky reset.

Just about an hour ago, I had a type of turbo drain. Usually my turbo drains are 50% green arrows, but still let me make a call. They'll go back to grey arrows and then green, all the while sucking juice. But this turbo drain was green arrows the whole time, and I couldn't make an outgoing call. I went into TH and saw a callstatus of 0x00000009. Weird, and obviously a condition which can never occur! That is 3G active and Voice1 at the same time.. which makes sense because I had just attempted to make a voice call.

So then I went back into the phone app and used the nifty ##33284 to investigate further. I think the significance was that the CP STATE was D_CONV. What does that mean? I dunno, but I'll bet it's significant.
    Last edited by potatoho; 04/14/2003 at 03:26 PM.
  19.    #99  
    any more features for teh software?
    Originally posted by rkassim
    any more features for teh software?
    Nah just trying to fix some bugs.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast