Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Interesting, eh?
    my comment on "should have been included" went a LOT more towards the power stuff and not the other advancements.

potato, no way of making it turn on, even a half hour later? (until we find a better way)
    Perhaps .. gasp .. making it reset 30 minutes later?

Playing with beta, will post soon
    Originally posted by rkassim
    no way of making it turn on, even a half hour later?
    That "turn phone of when coverage lost for xxx minutes" option hasn't really proven itself to be useful yet.

I imagine if set rather high, like 30 minutes or so, it would be probably be useful in times where I leave the phone accidentally in a no-coverage zone.

It's an open source project so I figured it would be a nice start. Perhaps a heuristic approach could be used instead, like combining coverage with power drain to determine when to shut off power etc.
    Some more observations from the last few days. On occasion I have noticed that when I turn off the phone (either manually or programmatically), the red light will still be blinking. Interestingly I found that if I tell TreoHelper to turn off when out of coverage for 4 minutes, nearly every time it would leave it in that state. Turning it off earlier, say during 2 minutes of coverage loss, didn't appear to cause this situation.

What's funny is that I could repeat it all day long. If I turned off the phone while it was blinking red for at least 3 minutes, it would stay that way. The power load reading would show the phone as off, and yet it was still draining the battery quite a lot. In this red blinking state, if I then power the phone on, it would not work properly. The power load would then show 202mW rather than the normal 382mW. Sadly even programmatic soft resets would not fix this situation, only a pin reset would cause things to get back to normal.

So from what I gather, if you power down the phone while it is out of coverage for a while, it may do freaky things. I believe it is also dependent on some other external factors as well. Though I was able to repeat this process throughout the day at least 6 times in succession, it wasn't guaranteed to happen when I tried it later in the day -- presumably when reception gets slightly better during night-time.

Just a few minutes ago I also noticed the super quick battery drain syndrome. I can now confirm that it is indeed that the 3G erroneously remains active. I was playing a cool game (RifleWorms) when I noticed the Treo back get microwave burrito-warm on me. After a few minutes it gave me the battery low, so then I went into TreoHelper and saw clearly that the GetPhoneCallStatus() had the phnGPRSCallActive bit active, which is the same indicator which makes the arrows green. So that's two indicators we have that 3G is sticking, and hence causing a super quick battery drain.

I've got to search for the NetMaster header files so that I can try out some of that API. Or I guess I could type them in from the docs, but what a pain. There are some calls in there to determine globally whether any sockets are active. Perhaps if there are no active sockets, and the 3G is still active, that could be a situation where we want to shut off the phone, or disconnect or something.
  4.    #64  
    I just realized that yesterday ... damn thing doesnt actually power down the radio unit. Wow, isnt that ... incompetent.

Does disconnecting the 3g connection first fix the problem? Looks like this is significant buggage, anyone called Level 2 tech recently?

-Rizwan
    Originally posted by rkassim
    I just realized that yesterday ... damn thing doesnt actually power down the radio unit. Wow, isnt that ... incompetent.

Does disconnecting the 3g connection first fix the problem? Looks like this is significant buggage, anyone called Level 2 tech recently?
    You've seen the red blinking with phone off too? I've seen that in different situations, and it has always caused me to have to use a pin reset. Same with you?

What's weird is that the launcher pgup title-tap thing doesn't show any extra power, but clearly there is something still draining the battery.

I have no idea how to prevent the situation. I've set it to power off at 2 minutes and that most of the time keeps it from going into that mode. Also probably just letting it continue seems to let it come back to working eventually. At least that's what I think since I would only see that situation perhaps once per week.

Not sure about the 3G question. That seems to be an even worse situation. That drained super quickly, within minutes. Maybe they're both related.
    Originally posted by potatoho
    You've seen the red blinking with phone off too? I've seen that in different situations, and it has always caused me to have to use a pin reset. Same with you?
    I've seen this a few times. Every time what I've done is turned it right back on and then right back off again.

Scott
    I posted on this phenomenon a couple of months ago. When my Treo 300 loses the signal for an extended period (like I am in a movie theatre) then it goes into this "red blinking hunting for signal" mode that you can't get out of unless you do a pin reset. It is very puzzling and frustrating.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    New T300 owner here. This was the 1st problem I noticed with the unit-- there are others...

Traveled to remote out-of-range area so I tried to turn the unit off to save batteries, but it would not turn off! Red light kept flashing, batt started draining quickly and unit started getting warm!

Then, when I returned to a coverage area, it couldn't find the network. Called Sprint from land line and they had me press the reset button and then it recovered.

Very bad bug indeed.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I've noticed the draining problem too. On a flight awhile back I turned off my Treo 300 and stuck it in my pants pocket. Soon I felt a burning sensation. The LED was flashing red and the Treo 300 was very warm. The battery totally depleted and I had the restore everything later with my laptop. I'd love a fix to this. Very annoying as I too live on a fringe area and the wireless goes in and out all the time.

Good work so far...
    As I said in my previous post, when I've had this problem, I just turn the phone back on and then immediately turn it back off again. Does this not work for you guys? I don't believe I've ever had to reset my device because of this. Nevertheless, it's a bad bug which HS needs to release a patch for.

Scott
    Originally posted by Scott R
    As I said in my previous post, when I've had this problem, I just turn the phone back on and then immediately turn it back off again. Does this not work for you guys? I don't believe I've ever had to reset my device because of this. Nevertheless, it's a bad bug which HS needs to release a patch for.
    I tried that after I read your message. It so happened that I had a couple of opportunities yesterday. I couldn't get the red flashing to go away, despite turning it on/off several times. Also leaving it on for at least an hour, it still didn't reaquire the signal until a pin reset.

I'm testing another version of TreoHelper which adds a time-limit on green and grey arrows. For example, you can set how many continuous minutes maximum the arrows can be green, and independently you can also do that for grey. Right now it will just shut down the 3G connection in response. Hopefully this will be a work-around for the stuck green arrows, and also a way to have an idle 3G disconnect.

I'll post another message here once I've tested it for a few more hours.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    FWIW- I just called SprintPCS business support and reported this problem again and insisted that I get to Level 2 support to discuss. Got through to someone who pulled this issue up out of some "special system". Documentation showed that it has been a known HandSpring issue for quite some time now. She couldn't tell me when it would be corrected, but said it is being "worked on".

Randy
    Today I had an "opportunity" to see the super quick battery drain. Seems every day now I'm seeing it. It REALLY likes this particular chair I sit in, since every time I sit for more than 10 minutes with it on my belt, it starts with the microwaving energy into my side.

The super quick drain eludes even my latest attempt at stopping it. This is where the green arrows get stuck. Except, that they aren't so much stuck, as they are fluctuating between green and grey with a few seconds in between. My latest attempt puts a time limit on green arrows, but this of course passes the test because it alternates between green and grey.

So now I have to have some kind of fluctuation test or something. Ahhhhhh!!!

Okay lemme think. Hrm.. the arrows where green & grey and yet the light was flashing red. But it was the quick red flash because the batteries were almost dead, so I don't know if it was still in coverage. I'm thinking.. why would have a signal on my belt where it is usually iffy, but then why would it have arrows if it weren't. Darnit I wish that occurred to me a few minutes ago before I reset it.

I'll try to reproduce the problem.
  14.    #74  
    good luck.
    I saw this posted on another public list. Don't know whether it would be helpful to you in your quest, but I'll let you decide:

-----Original Message----
    Sent: 07 March 2003 11:49
    To: treo@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [Treo] Battery power dropping to zero in 4 hours with no
    use.

Help.

Having the battery power drop to zero with virtually no use after
    fully charging with wireless off!

Have added Snappermail and Big Clock as only add ons but again, the
    battery drains completely when wireless mode is turned off.

Any thoughts? Bad battery?

xxxxDate: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:45:15 +0200
    Subject: RE: Battery power dropping to zero in 4 hours with no use.

Hi

I had a very similar problem with my Treo 270. Do you have GPRS installed,
    if so, I found that even when not connected to the network my 270 would
    switch on every approx every 5 minutes and then switch off again.

I eventually tracked this down to my having an incomplete SMS in my outbox.
    Deleted the SMS and it stopped switching on by itself.
    Drove me nuts.

xxxx
    Okay. Here's 0.3 of TreoHelper.

- Enable phone on reset.
    - Define a daily "On time" and "Off time".
    - Stay on (lid close) while network active (green arrows).
    - Set Auto-Off time for lid close.
    - Turn off phone after xxx minutes of coverage loss.
    - Asks to reset after install (this is mostly prophylactic).

New features (these are Treo 300 specific):

- Drop net after xxx minutes of green arrows.
    - Drop net after xxx minutes of grey arrows.
    - Drop net whenever coverage is lost.

The reason the last three are Treo 300 specific is because they rely on phnEvtOneXStatus launchcode. There may be an equivalent event on the GSM devices, but I don't believe that one exists for them.

Anyways, I made some other changes to the code. I switched to an AlarmProc which is what held up the code for another day because I wanted to make sure that such a widespread change wouldn't cause problems. Also I changed some timeouts & stuff to make the device shut down sooner after an automated shutdown or turn on. For example, after a reset when it turns the phone back on, it will now attempt to turn off the device in 10 seconds rather than waiting the whole auto-off period.

What else.. hrm. Well, actually I don't want to jinx it but I've been having some good luck today with the last option I added. Maybe today is just a good wireless day or something, but here's a theory I'm throwing out...

Currently for the "drop net" features, the only one I have enabled, on my device, is the "Drop net whenever coverage lost". The theory is that if the 3G is left on while out of coverage, it may cause some spurious transmissions. Perhaps they occur while it is in network search mode, or perhaps it just goes nutso when the signal returns and it attempts to reconcile the data connection. Not sure at all. It's just a theory.

So I figured I'd try an option for that. Every time it goes into network search (i.e. signal dropped), I drop the network connection. Sure it's a pain, since even a momentary loss of signal will result in it having to bring up the progress dialog again. But so far it's been keeping a turbo drain from occurring. Obviously this may be a false alarm, because I have only been trying it for a few hours. Maybe I'm just getting some good atmospheric conditions today.

Here's the latest version of TreoHelper:
    http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/work/treohelper.zip
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Anyway to add hours, minutes, and days to the "daily on time and off time"?

Something like TreoTools has. Such as I want my phone to come on at 6:30 AM and turn off at 10:15 PM M,T,W,TH,F and turn on at 9:15 AM then turn off at 10:30 PM on S,SA. I like to sleep late on weekends and don't want the phone to come on

Thanks and looking better all the time!
    Originally posted by AirData
    Anyway to add hours, minutes, and days to the "daily on time and off time"?

Something like TreoTools has. Such as I want my phone to come on at 6:30 AM and turn off at 10:15 PM M,T,W,TH,F and turn on at 9:15 AM then turn off at 10:30 PM on S,SA. I like to sleep late on weekends and don't want the phone to come on

Thanks and looking better all the time!
    Wow I didn't think anyone ever used the detailed on/off schedule of TreoTools. Seemed like such overkill. Okay lemme think of the easiest way to do that.
    I use that function too. I don't want the phone to wake me up at 2:30 in the morning so I use treotools to turn it off. (Different time sat and sun vs the weekday)

Also what tool/complier did you use to write this? I'm interested in taking a look at palm developing.

Thanks for your help
    Originally posted by richlee91
    I use that function too. I don't want the phone to wake me up at 2:30 in the morning so I use treotools to turn it off. (Different time sat and sun vs the weekday)

Also what tool/complier did you use to write this? I'm interested in taking a look at palm developing.

Thanks for your help
    Prc-tools 2.x. You'll need the PhoneLib SDK and Handspring headers as well. PalmOS SDK 3.5.

I'm almost done the weekly schedule. Still have to do some more UI work for it though.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast