1.    #1  
    InfoSync, a news and review site for what it considers as cutting edge phone/cell tech stuff, and which gives pretty equal coverage to PocketPCs as well as Palms, etc. has just published what I consider to be a very favorable review of the Treo 300 at:

http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/3105.html

It may disappoint those who insist that the Treo is no longer cutting edge and should be thrown away or replaced. They are very enthusiastic about it - here and now in February of 2003.

And there are just enough teeny nit-picks to keep the whiners happy if they hunt real hard for them.

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    The Treo does not support web-clipping PQAs, which is unfortunate as they are a very good design for limited-bandwidth usage. PQAs, short for Palm Query Applications, are highly compressed mini-web sites that appear to the user as an application, making it easy to look up specific information from a specific site, such as weather or movie listings. PQAs were introduced by Palm with the Palm VII, but have never fared well in the general market due to the need for a proxy server.
    Who is he kidding?

Good article

-rob
    His review for the 270 went much the same way. But he definately needs a clue with the web clippings, especially considering that he puts it as a negative for the device.
    I wrote in to complain on this point and provided links to show him how to install the web clipping libraries. I also invited them to issue a correction; I'm curious to see if they do.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Hey me too!!

I opted not to provide links and told him to do more research.
    <I have removed my quote from Mr. Garfield as he did not authorize me to post it here. In it he basically argues that Infosync reviews devices as they come "out-of-the-box" and that therefore his complaint of the lack of PQA support is justified.>

My response:

Dear Mr. Garfield,

Thanks for your note. However, this seems to me to be like reviewing a new PC and saying it couldn't do word-processing because it didn't happen to come from the factory with MS Word installed. The Treo doesn't ship with any email software installed, which given your logic and the nature of the device, you should have listed as a major negative. Yet you do not. This does not seem consistent to me.

I guess the main thing is that people reading your article would be led to believe that it is impossible to use PQAs on the Treo which is not true. I would hate if somebody decided not to get one because he thought one could not install PQA support.

In the end shouldn't we be moving towards considering our handheld devices to be handheld computers. If they are computers then reviewing them only as they are "out-of-the-box" seems a little unfair--unless, it is explicit that that is what is going on. In other words, saying something like "the Treo doesn't support web-clipping out-of-the-box" is different from saying, as you do, "The Treo does not support web-clipping PQAs, which is unfortunate as they are a very good design for limited-bandwidth usage."

The elocution "does not support," in my mind, seems to imply the impossibility of accessing PQAs with the Treo, not the much weaker, and true claim that it does not have the necessary software "out-of-the-box."

I'm sure you tend to get these kind of emails from partisans of various devices, and I hope you realize that most Treo users at treocentral.com (where I got the link to your article) were pleased with your review. Perhaps you'll consider my suggestions in general, rather than just about this particular review.

Best Regards,
    --Mathew Lu

P.S. I hope you don't mind I'm posting your email to me and this response in the forums at treocentral.com
    Last edited by mathewlu; 02/24/2003 at 05:29 PM.
    I got the exact same response this morning. You did a good job on your reply mathewlu
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by Appleman
    I got the exact same response this morning. You did a good job on your reply mathewlu
    You sure did!

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!