1.    #1  
    I noticed some polyphonic midi's work and some don't. I cut them all down to under 30 seconds. Anyone know because I can't find this info anywhere.
    according to handspring, it's 16 voices. see this link:

http://www.handspring.com/enterprise/treo/treo300.jhtml

i know from working with several hundred midi files that not all instruments are supported. using anvil studio you can change some tracks from an unsupported instrument to one that works...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  3.    #3  
    thanks! do you happen to know wich instruments aren't? I mean how did you figure it out?
    i sort of did hit or miss using anvil studio. it seemed that many or most translated to something else similar when i made the files. and i think there are actually more voices from what i experienced.

i suppose if you could get hold of some of the original ringtone files you could bring them up in anvil studio and see what instruments they are playing.

partly, i just tried to stick with the 'common' sounds like guitar and piano, and avoid the more exotic ones. it's somewhat trial and error to see what sounds best anyway. let's face it, that's why i've been getting all the big bucks for my ringtone collections! (that's a joke. i got about enough to pay for a couple of software programs for my treo)
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by hav0k99
    I noticed some polyphonic midi's work and some don't. I cut them all down to under 30 seconds. Anyone know because I can't find this info anywhere.
    by the way, 30 seconds is probably still pushing it for length, but also you have to pay close attention to the size of the file. tcringer limits to 9 k. over 10k, it gets 'iffy', and much bigger than that will cause resets or just take so long to load that you think its not working anyway.