745 Global Posts
    Where is the Treo 400?

The Tungsten is gonna eat us up!

See palminfocenter.com
    Originally posted by mgauss
    Where is the Treo 400?

The Tungsten is gonna eat us up!

See palminfocenter.com
    I wouldn't be so sure of it. Personally I've used both extensively and the Treo 300 wins hands down. The lack of an earpiece and solid protective cover are the things that probably kill it for me.

BTW, my WirelessModem program works fine on the Tungsten W if you decide to jump ship.
    There' a fatal fault with the Tungsten W - the ring tone is too soft to hear even in a quite room. It can't work as a phone, only as a wired pda.
    I wouldn't be so sure of it. Personally I've used both extensively and the Treo 300 wins hands down. The lack of an earpiece and solid protective cover are the things that probably kill it for me.
    A flip cover accessory will be available that integrates a mic/speaker, which will alleviate the apprehension of many people. It is quite a nice design btw:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/images...tung_cover.jpg

However, the real thing holding be back from getting a T|W is the absence of an unlimited plan like available from Sprint from any of the gsm carriers...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

A flip cover accessory will be available that integrates a mic/speaker, which will alleviate the apprehension of many people. It is quite a nice design btw:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/images...tung_cover.jpg

However, the real thing holding be back from getting a T|W is the absence of an unlimited plan like available from Sprint from any of the gsm carriers...
    The cover doesn't look very solid. With the Treo, the cover closes and that's it; with this one it can fly open.
    i just want a better treo, with some of the improvements that have been suggested around this board... very satisfied with the overall form factor, less satisfied with build quality and materials...

but anyway, plan on getting my money's worth for a little while longer
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    I have to agree that the W won't be a Treo300 killer, esp without a spkr and mic. It seems to be targeted specifically at the Blackberry users who won't give up their primary cell phone, and who might use the voice capabilities of the W as an additional line to their existing cell plan - in other words, when they travel, carry the W alone, rather than a Blackberry AND a cell phone.
    I still can't believe that Palm brought it out without a mic and ear-thing - but I couldn't believe it when RIM did the same thing with their device that was just like the W. Maybe they know something we don't - - ?
    not having a speaker/ mic isn't that big of a deal anymore because of that cover/ speaker/ mic combo that palm will release (although for palm to sell it for $50 is kind of insulting) but not having a lit keypad is what would kill it for me. i do a lot of typing in the night!
    treo killer? Not for me. At the price I paid ($249), I could have gotten a pair of treos for me and the mrs. for less than a tungsten w and had money left over..........
    <b>Weinerdog</b>
    Despite all the complaining about sprint, the 300 is still a CDMA phone which has FAR more coverage and sound quality than a GSM phone here in the state. I know you can use it overseas, but I think more business travellers are concerned about having full coverage in the U.S. I had T-Mobile with my old treo 180 and the reception around the east coast stunk.

If Palm made a W for Verizon or sprint, then they would really have something....
    StevenB
    Saw the 'W' at the Palm booth at a trade show this past week. Challenged the Palm rep. to sell me on the 'W'. We did a side by side with my Treo 300, and I couldn't find one thing I liked better with the 'W'
    Originally posted by prichmond
    We did a side by side with my Treo 300, and I couldn't find one thing I liked better with the 'W'
    10 hour talk time?
    Saw the 'W' at the Palm booth at a trade show this past week. Challenged the Palm rep. to sell me on the 'W'. We did a side by side with my Treo 300, and I couldn't find one thing I liked better with the 'W'
    C'mom, lets give PalmSG some credit. The T|W has a 320x320 screen, SDIO, class 10 tri-band GSM/GPRS, and a 1500mAh battery that delivers over 10 hours of talk time. It's been nearly a freaking year now since HS introduced the Treo and still no sign of any of these features. I am not going to replace my T300 with a T|W, but I'm getting really sick of having to sacrifice w/o an expansion option and better screen. I dunno about everyone else, but I'm gettng very impatient waiting on HS to deliver an ugrade to their line! They need to hurry the hell up!! Otherwise goodbuy Handspring...
    I dunno about everyone else, but I'm gettng very impatient waiting on HS to deliver an ugrade to their line!
    First things first

Can we get them to fix the radio reset, battery sucking, data go bye bye problems. You guys with good reception probably have no idea how horrible it is living with these problems every day.

Why oh why does every device I buy have these issues. Who writes their firmware anyways. Not to be mean, but that's some mighty crappy code buddy. I actually had no idea that the battery would last longer than a few hours by itself until I stayed for a couple of days in a good coverage area.

Normally in low coverage I have to charge THREE times a day! And when I put it in decent coverage I was amazed that with the same usage it only went down 25% by the end of the day. That's a ridiculous difference, and indicative of an obvious BUG.
    Originally posted by potatoho

Normally in low coverage I have to charge THREE times a day! And when I put it in decent coverage I was amazed that with the same usage it only went down 25% by the end of the day. That's a ridiculous difference, and indicative of an obvious BUG.
    I'm probably in a similar situation as you. I haven't left the wireless service on while in my house, but I'm sure it's using up a lot of power to find/maintain a signal. Still, it's hard for me to complain because at least it can get a signal. My Samsung i300 (also Sprint) couldn't get a signal in my house at all! So, while I would normally be as upset as you, I'm hoping to make the best of it by just keeping it plugged in as much as possible when I'm at home.

Scott
    It's been nearly a freaking year now since HS introduced the Treo and still no sign of any of these features. I am not going to replace my T300 with a T|W, but I'm getting really sick of having to sacrifice w/o an expansion option and better screen. I dunno about everyone else, but I'm gettng very impatient waiting on HS to deliver an ugrade to their line!
    And just how long have you been having to "sacrifice" now? You've only owned the dag-nubbed thing for about two weeks now! Of course, as you know, I kept sitting on the fence hemming and hawing on whether or not to get this thing since I can't help but think that an OS5 high-res version will be coming out in the next few months (it ought to, anyway). I do love it, but I really, really, really want a higher-res screen.

Scott
    Hi -

I have heard references to a version of the Tungsten W coming out in April with a flip cover similar to the Treo's. Has anyone heard of this? Is it the cover that we've read about that's a $40 add-on?

Thanks a lot!
    Larry Z.
    Originally posted by Scott R
    So, while I would normally be as upset as you, I'm hoping to make the best of it by just keeping it plugged in as much as possible when I'm at home.
    What bugs me about it is that it's out of my control. I've been able to tweak everything else how I want, either through my software or other's great software. That leaves only the things which Handspring can fix, and why aren't they on the ball with these issues. They should announce a press release saying they have a commitment to fixing the darn battery suck problem.
    And just how long have you been having to "sacrifice" now? You've only owned the dag-nubbed thing for about two weeks now! Of course, as you know, I kept sitting on the fence hemming and hawing on whether or not to get this thing since I can't help but think that an OS5 high-res version will be coming out in the next few months (it ought to, anyway). I do love it, but I really, really, really want a higher-res screen.

Point well taken Scott! But Like you said, I was also vacillating forever on the fence trying to justify to myself wether I should get the T300 or not. If I hadn't gotten the deal I got, I probably still would be on the fence. However, I still say HS is taking way too long on introducing an upgrade. While I have been extremely satisfied with the T300 thus far, I am seriously contemplating returning it b/c of the lack of expansion options. 16 MB is not enough for me, and although I hate to give up the Treo, I think I probably will have too. If only HS came out with a TREO w/SDIO... Sigh... oh well...

P.S. Scott, did you ever get that email I sent you to your hotmail address?
    Originally posted by LZMutant
    Hi -

I have heard references to a version of the Tungsten W coming out in April with a flip cover similar to the Treo's. Has anyone heard of this? Is it the cover that we've read about that's a $40 add-on?

Thanks a lot!
    Larry Z.
    Here's the Krakow review of it from yesterday:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/875046.asp

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast