Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Can't seem to find a picture anywhere of the Audio Flip Cover Krakow talks about and somewhat takes credit for.

The Tungsten W looks attractive and well-thought out otherwise, but I think I will still like my Treo 300 better as more diminutive and lighter in weight.

As far as Palm screen size, I made the transition well from the Palm IIIc to the Treo 300 screen size, so I don't feel strongly about the importance of the fuller screen on the Tungsten, but some will.

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    However, I still say HS is taking way too long on introducing an upgrade.
    Yeah, I think the American companies take too long to get new products out. I think the Japanese companies can move a lot quicker.

While I have been extremely satisfied with the T300 thus far, I am seriously contemplating returning it b/c of the lack of expansion options. 16 MB is not enough for me, and although I hate to give up the Treo, I think I probably will have too. If only HS came out with a TREO w/SDIO... Sigh... oh well...
    Have you considered trying out MobileFile from www.quickoffice.com ? It allows you to copy files up/down from a desktop computer. Of course, you'd have to leave your desktop computer turned on and I'd imagine that it could be a bit slow, but I've been keeping it in the back of my mind if/when I run into the 16MB limit.

P.S. Scott, did you ever get that email I sent you to your hotmail address?
    Yes, I did. Thanks. And sorry for not replying personally. It helped to push me over the edge and buy it (of course, I didn't need much pushing).

Scott
    Originally posted by NateS
    Can't seem to find a picture anywhere of the Audio Flip Cover Krakow talks about and somewhat takes credit for.
    Your wish is my command:
    http://discussion.brighthand.com/pal...threadid=26952

As far as Palm screen size, I made the transition well from the Palm IIIc to the Treo 300 screen size, so I don't feel strongly about the importance of the fuller screen on the Tungsten, but some will.
    Keep in mind that while the Treo's screen is physically smaller than the Palm IIIc's, the resolution is the same (160x160). The Tungsten W, however, has a higher resolution (320x320). I'm not sure how the physical screen size compares to the Treo's.

Scott

Here's the Krakow review of it from yesterday:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/875046.asp

Regards,

NateS
    Thank you, NateS - that clears things up for me. Now the question remains - to change or not to change? I like the idea of a better screen, but my Sprint reception on the Treo is excellent. I also have to say that I'm on my 4th Treo 300 due to various problems, but Sprint has always been pretty easy for me to deal with. I am unfamiliar with ATT service in Los Angeles, so I'll be checking these boards after the release of the W!

Originally posted by Scott R

Your wish is my command:
    http://discussion.brighthand.com/pal...threadid=26952
    . . .
    Scott
    Thanks for the picture - I'm sort of underwhelmed.

If that's what it looks like in the flesh, I'm going to hug my Treo that much more affectionately.

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Palm is following right in Apple's footsteps (nice but flawed products at critical times) and I'm afraid will probably suffer the same fate.....scraping for market share crumbs in a couple of years.

They take one step forward and two steps backward again with the TW ......missing the market mark ....(but accurately shooting themselves squarely in the foot) ...again at a critical time in a the market racing towards convergence of cell phones and PDAs. The TW isn't thinking "out of the box"...probably more like "under the box".

The T/W has nice feature set but ....alas....a fatally flawed hardware design. COME ON PALM... give us a REAL phone with a real speaker and speakerphone. Who wants to grope for an earbud when a call comes in..... it didn't work for Blackberry, ....why will it work on a Palm.........and the (just announced (afterthought??) screen cover with a plug-in speaker.....seems like a (too) late attempt to correct a serious design flaw. How long is that plug in cord going to last under heavy use?

IMHO, there is only one feature that makes a Palm more attractive (to me) than a PPC..... that's "one handed operation" .

A PPC (phone) is still a two-handed device, .......with the unit in one hand and the stylus in the other. The buttons and type are too small to operate without the stylus. But the software is at least consistant and it intefaces well with the desktop applications I use every day. I may not use all those other entertainment capabilities, but I'm human......I like to know the bells and whistles are available. If they give me a one-handed device....I'll probably switch too. How long.....seems like innovation on the PPC side is happening a lot more quickly.

Palm has to save itself ...and come up with innovative hardware ON TIME FOR THE MARKET.....NOT LATE TO THE MARKET ....in order to compete with the ever growing number of PPC licensees, most very capable hardware companies like HTC, HP, Toshiba, Dell, etc. ....big time hardware companies.

The Treo is still my favorite to use .....but it has serious (maddening) software flaws that drive me crazy every day and should have been fixed long ago. Handspring seems to fighting for its very life financially....and doesn't seem to have enough muscle to fix its current designs, much less come up with the T-400.

Kyocera still has Palm products in the works but Verizion has been testing the 7135 for so long it will be obsolete before it comes to market. That leaves only Sony (last hope) with the ability to support enough R&D to come up with the next killer hardware product.

Hardware not withstanding....the hardware has the marketing sizzle, but its the software we use every day....

For all their numbers, ....every Palm app works a little differently....and has its own learning curve. Seems in the Palm world noone has the muscle to demand that Palm software products have a consistant operational interface.

Could someone please give me a "Back" or consistently available "Done" button, that, when tapped, will take me back to the last used app ......and also PLEASE, ....make closing one app take me back to the last one used before that.......all standard function stuff in the PPC.

All the while.....the Windoze juggernaut continues to gobble up market share.... AND as we know, soon following will be all the best software talent.

I think I can see the future.......it won't be great...and it will crash frequently.......but it will be familiar and consistent in operation.......snoooooooze.......someone save us!

Warren
    Warren C.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12