Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Has anyone used this program AOL for Palm OS by America Online, Inc? Looks very interesting - I was wondering how it works and does it use VISION?
    do some searching on here and you will get a lot of info. this has been discussed many times. bottom line is that it seems to work pretty well for mail and messaging from what i have read, though i use pocketflash for aol email (it was out before the aol software was released)

and yes, it uses the unlimited vision minutes if you set it up properly. if not, it might try to dial. you just need to make sure it's set for your 'always on' connection, kind of like when aol for the PC finds both your cable or dsl connection AND your modem...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    It does a real good job mimicking the desktop interface. Emails load quick. You cannot use a couple fo the desktop features like unsend and status, but no big deal.

The tcp/ip interface wors great with vision. No configuration needed. connects fairly quickly. The only problem I found was that if I did not disconnect (the aol program, not vision) my screen would turn on after a short period when new mail came in.

Its a winner imo. The only downside is that it costs $20, and like someone else mentioned, that is a lot to access a service you are already paying for!

-rob
    Where do you get it?
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Thanks for the response. I had done a search but nothing showed up - I must have screwed up.

You can buy it at handango.

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...43335&review=1
    Can you be alerted or can your email be downloaded (through some service like Treomail or Snappermail) when you get email messages or do you have to be "connected" to know you've gotten an email?

thanks
    i don't want to say 'only' (because there is probably another one somewhere) but ONE of the only email programs for the treo that works with AOL mail is pocketflash, and it does not do 'alerts'. you connect and check your mail.

i think most of the email programs that alert you depend on forwarding to SMS, and aol as you probably know does not have an option to forward your email to anywhere. its one of their worst features as far as i'm concerned, but its hard to move off aol when i've had the same email address for 12 years, almost an eternity in computer time.

on the other hand, pocketflash is great, and i AM able to have my pop3 accounts forward to my AOL account, so i have not needed snappermail or the others, i just read all the fwds that arrive in my aol account.

when i'm at my desk, i automatically check my aol and pop3 accounts every 5 minutes, which is great. but i don't want any notification on my phone, it would just go off all the damn time. it waits for me to check it.

p.s. you could substitute 'aol for palm' for 'pocketflash' in the above. i bought pocketflash before aol released its palm software so i have not bothered. if i were starting from scratch now, i would probably go with the aol software
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Thanks to the crowd here , I have mine up and running . The AOL for Palm is great! One thing, im not sure if you noticed, is that when you use AOL for Palm you are obviously using an existing AOL account (most likely) and checking your email, IMing etc... One thing that I just noticed is that my wife can be signed on to her screen name on my account, and I can still sign on , on the TREO to the same account on my name!!!! I cant Instant message her , but I can send email, IM other friends, or read news etc.... So my worry that I would be on the train and she would be signed on at home, and I wouldnt be able to access it , was unfounded. Not sure if any of you noticed this as well?

I think its well worth the 20 dollars. At least it works like it says it does, doesnt require you to go nuts setting up new email accounts, and has email , IMs , news, portfolio options etc....

Marty
    Just a note with each post to thank all of you for ALL the great info on this site!
    well then, at least you are getting something for the $20 considering that all other AOL software is free. maybe that's the reason they charge for it...
    hey aarons12,

thanks for the info. I'll probably break down and pay the $20 for AOL for Palm. I just wish I could be automatically notified when I get an email-but I guess signing on is no big deal.
    Originally posted by CAMillion
    hey aarons12,

thanks for the info. I'll probably break down and pay the $20 for AOL for Palm. I just wish I could be automatically notified when I get an email-but I guess signing on is no big deal.
    glad to help. my problem is that i get a lot of emails but most are not THAT critical that i need to know about them immediately. so if i was getting messages every time i got an email, i would be forever taking out my phone...
    I highly recommend it!

I spent $20 for it, but I'm very happy with it

Its very reliable, fast, and works EXCELLENT on Vision!

Worth the $20 if AOL is your primary source for mail

I use to use the free version of Mail, but it caused my Treo to crash many times......this new one has caused minor crashes just a few times in the past months.
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    aarons12,

That is a good point-although many of my emails are important a lot are just of average importance...which would eliminate the need to check them every 30 minutes or so...besides, I'm stuck behind a desk 3 days out of the week with my desktop email anyway. Thanks
    You guys do know that if you really need to get SMS notification of new email from AOL, at least for specific persons that send you emails, you can set up alert notifications for those individuals....

http://content.alerts.aol.com/ExistingUserProd.adp

I do it for certain folks that send me emails. This way I know that there is new email to check.
    was not aware of that. thanks. although anybody i would want on that list as of now has my cel number anyway... could definitely come in handy.
    Thanks millerhifi,

But I don't see where you can set up a notification for emails. I only see it for sports, news, entertainment, etc., and where you can create a group to "send" alerts but not to receive them via email. Where do you set up this feature? Thanks, this will be very helpful.
    You don't receive emails, they are SMS alerts. Somewhere in the set up you can activate an alert for emails received from what ever email addresses that you specify and the email addresses will trigger an alert to your treo via SMS. You need to register your cell phone number with the alert services and than you can add whatever alerts you want to receive.

Try here to register:

http://content.alerts.aol.com/DirectoryProd.adp

bottom right hand corner to register you cell number
    If you log into AOL and type in

Keyword: "mail alerts"

it will let you set up from which email senders you wish to receive alerts from on your mobile device.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Note that if you also check the box for IM/email notification, you will not receive SMS notifications while connected via AOL3 or online via the desktop version of AOL. (This is a good thing, if you think about it.) The popup notifications that appear on the desktop version are absent in AOL3.