Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried the Netfont Browser or does it only work for the OS 5 units
    I had read that it only support OS 5, but then I saw that it was shipping with the Tungston W as well as the Tungston T. The Tungston W uses OS 4.

Having said that, Palm also released Versamail, which is an update to their Multimail product. It only operates on OS 4 and higher, so we are out of luck. It is quite possible that Palm did the same with the Netfront Browswer.

The fact that I haven't heard rave reviews about it yet would leave me to believe that we aren't missing anything.
    Hi guys --

Originally posted by Druce MacFarlane
    I had read that it only support OS 5, but then I saw that it was shipping with the Tungston W as well as the Tungston T. The Tungston W uses OS 4.
    Not only am I a new Treo 300 user who things this board rocks, but I also work at ACCESS Systems, the folks who make NetFront.

Our browsing technology is the exclusive browser in Palm OS 5.01 and higher, and the application with PalmSource's UI is called "Web Browser 2.0".

Many devices, such as the Samsung SGH-i500 announced last week at CeBIT, will use this version of the browser.

Other OEM PalmSource licensees have/will ship versions of our browser under Palm OS 5 that we have customized for their particular UI's.

The only OS 5 device that is currently in stores with our browser technology is the Sony NX-70 series, which is running OS 5.01 and has a customized version of our browser with some enhancements for the Sony UI, display and buttons.

As for the Tungsten series, the Tungsten W is running the old processor series with OS 4.x. Palm bundles their WebPro proxy-based browser on that device.

The Tungsten T is running OS 5.00, which although it has adequate hardware speed and the right OS series, is also using WebPro. (The T does not ship with the 5.01 version of the OS).

The fact that I haven't heard rave reviews about it yet would leave me to believe that we aren't missing anything.
    Not true, my friend. NetFront adheres to nearly every up-to-date markup standard, and provides a pretty-close to PC browsing experience.

It is the best browser out there for Palm devices that have the processor horsepower to handle it... Try it on the Sony!

Andy.
    I assumed that because PalmSource licensed NetFront, it was the browser in the Palm devices.
    If you work there, and you are a Treo fan, you need to lobby them really hard to port to older versions of Palm. Don't you think that they missed the mark by making it PalmOS 5 only? Every existing smart phone uses a version prior to 5.x. You guys may have set yourselves up for the future, but you are missing the existing market.

Oh, and I don't buy that entire "not enough power" in the older versions. You aren't creating a video player here, it is a web browser.
    Originally posted by Druce MacFarlane

Oh, and I don't buy that entire "not enough power" in the older versions. You aren't creating a video player here, it is a web browser.
    Do you have any idea what it takes to render a web page? Take a look at your system resources as you render one. It's amazing.
    that it is completely trivial. But I am sayin', Blazer, Xiino, Eudora, and a handfull of others don't seem to be having a great deal of difficulty. I mean, when you have a 160x160 screen and only a couple of built-in fonts to chose from, screen rendering is mostly the art of creative HTML tag stripping than it is geometric placement.

A company with the obvious experience that the guys over at ACCESS Systems should have no problem at all. In fact it should be childs play. What, unless they are chicken!

All kidding aside, I have just heard great things about Netfront on the PocketPC front, and I guess I am a little jealous. With as much as I like Blazer, it is only one step up from a WAP browser.
    Originally posted by scoopman
    Hi guys --

Not only am I a new Treo 300 user who things this board rocks, but I also work at ACCESS Systems, the folks who make NetFront.

Our browsing technology is the exclusive browser in Palm OS 5.01 and higher, and the application with PalmSource's UI is called "Web Browser 2.0".

Many devices, such as the Samsung SGH-i500 announced last week at CeBIT, will use this version of the browser.

Other OEM PalmSource licensees have/will ship versions of our browser under Palm OS 5 that we have customized for their particular UI's.

The only OS 5 device that is currently in stores with our browser technology is the Sony NX-70 series, which is running OS 5.01 and has a customized version of our browser with some enhancements for the Sony UI, display and buttons.

As for the Tungsten series, the Tungsten W is running the old processor series with OS 4.x. Palm bundles their WebPro proxy-based browser on that device.

The Tungsten T is running OS 5.00, which although it has adequate hardware speed and the right OS series, is also using WebPro. (The T does not ship with the 5.01 version of the OS).

Not true, my friend. NetFront adheres to nearly every up-to-date markup standard, and provides a pretty-close to PC browsing experience.

It is the best browser out there for Palm devices that have the processor horsepower to handle it... Try it on the Sony!

Andy.
    Thanks for the commercial. If it's so great, why did the program constantly give me error messages that the page was too large to load. Until this is fixed, the programs virtually useless in my opinion.
    I just read that they ported Netfront to the BREW platform. Now, you can't say that you haven't ported Netfront to the PalmOS 3.5 because of insufficient computer resources when you are porting it to BREW. Java? Brew phones? I am feeling a little slighted here!