1.    #1  
    Tonight our DSL went down. yuck. It's about midnight, tech support has a 20 minute hold time, and I was mid-way through a download. I had been getting speeds via DSL from my comrade's Carracho server of 15k/sec. Carracho, for those of you who don't know, is a nice mac-only interface for doing filesharing much like the multi-platform Hotline. It allows easy resuming of file transfers, filesharing, chat, the whole schabang. It's not any particularly amazing technology, so don't be thrown off if you haven't heard of it.

Where I live, on the side of a hill in Marin County, CA (north Bay Area) it's fairly customary for me to drop calls in my home on Treo, due to poor network signal. I'm still in my trial period of the overpriced "Wireless Modem" software, and while I enjoy connecting via Vision day or night for free on my laptop, I can't justify the $89,793 purchase price for Wireless Modem at this time (that's a bit of sarcasm, the real price: $37.50).

Until tonight.

Our DSL has gone down a couple times this month, and so it's been a fateful coincidence that I'm still trying out WM. Tonight when it went down, I went through the usual steps. Switch to connect via WM and Treo. Connect. Check my DSL provider's website for network status and estimated time of repair. After doing all that, seeing no estimated time of repair, I decided to give something a try, resuming my Carracho download. "This ought to be funny, I'll probably get about 1k/sec if I'm lucky," I thought. So, sure enough, I reconnected at 1k/sec. *snort*

Then something strange happened. 1k/sec promptly became 2k, then 3k...on up to 9k/sec! Whoa. 9k/sec, using my Treo, my PowerBook, and Wireless Modem. I've now been downloading for an hour, at a sustained 9k/sec for the last 50 minutes, via Vision, and the speed is still incrementally climbing.

This is the gratification from my Treo purchase I've really been waiting for. It was a lot to shell out when they first came out ($499), the direct USB-Treo charge cable was additional charge ($15), the $10/month Unlimited Vision added to my monthly bills, all for what had panned out to be dialup-speed-internet-access-from-anywhere. Tonight it's worth every penny, including the 37.50 I'm about to shell out to buy Wireless Modem.

Well, that's pretty much the whole story, except to add that my speed is now up to 11.6k/sec.
    I had been getting speeds via DSL from my comrade's Carracho server of 15k/sec.
    I dunno about you, but I get download speeds of up to 100 kb/s using Bellsouth adsl when I download off Kazza! 15k/s seems awefully slow to me! Are we talking about the same thing here?

Anyway, I'm still waiting for my serial hotsync cable to arrive and so its nice to hear people are getting decent transfer rates...
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

I dunno about you, but I get download speeds of up to 100 kb/s using Bellsouth adsl when I download off Kazza! 15k/s seems awefully slow to me! Are we talking about the same thing here?

Anyway, I'm still waiting for my serial hotsync cable to arrive and so its nice to hear people are getting decent transfer rates...
    Well my comrade is in the UK and 15k/sec from the UK isn't bad at all. Also, living where I do in Marin when I signed up for DSL the speed available was 128k or 256k downstream, and I think I'm still on that plan.

Also - Kazaa is generally able to draw on multiple clients to get a TOTAL download rate that's pretty high, but generally from one consumer computer via DSL to another over the net to the I wouldn't expect much better than 30k-50k due to upstream specifications on DSL. This comes from my year-long-stint in Tier 3 ISP DSL support, but I may be wrong.
    Originally posted by longday
    I'm still in my trial period of the overpriced "Wireless Modem" software, and while I enjoy connecting via Vision day or night for free on my laptop, I can't justify the $89,793 purchase price for Wireless Modem at this time (that's a bit of sarcasm, the real price: $37.50).
    As I've said before, if you can find another product like WirelessModem for a lower price, I encourage you to purchase it. If it was an easy program to develop and anyone could have done it, I think there would be competition on the market.
    I want to evaluate WirelessModem but before doing so I need to find out if it supports IRDA connection of 56k to the PC or is limited to 9.6k (as implied by the documentation). I tried to get the info at Notifymail but they would not answer (unsupported product...).

Anyone can help?

Thanks,

Avigdor
    Originally posted by sgruby

As I've said before, if you can find another product like WirelessModem for a lower price, I encourage you to purchase it. If it was an easy program to develop and anyone could have done it, I think there would be competition on the market.
    Did you read the whole story dude?! He said it WAS worth the price at the end: "Tonight it's worth every penny, including the 37.50 I'm about to shell out to buy Wireless Modem".
    Originally posted by luttinger
    I want to evaluate WirelessModem but before doing so I need to find out if it supports IRDA connection of 56k to the PC or is limited to 9.6k (as implied by the documentation). I tried to get the info at Notifymail but they would not answer (unsupported product...).

Anyone can help?

Thanks,

Avigdor
    Did you really read the documentation? <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmode...m#windows300ir>. There isn't one mention of 9.6k or 9600.
    Scott, I am refering to Treo 270. I would hope that it also supports 56k. Does it?
    Scott, I am refering to Treo 270. I would hope that it also supports 56k. Does it?
    I'm sorry, my mistake. We're in a Treo 300 forum, so I made the assumption that it was for a Treo 300.

I have no idea what happens with a Treo 270. Why not try it yourself (that's what the demo is for)?
    I intend to, but for that I need to buy an IRDA adaptor (my laptop doesn't have one) and I would like to do so with a reasonable probability that i'd get more than 9.6k (I can do 9.6k with my old cellphone and with the Treo I have GPRS).

Thanks,

Avigdor
  11.    #11  
    I intend to, but for that I need to buy an IRDA adaptor (my laptop doesn't have one) and I would like to do so with a reasonable probability that i'd get more than 9.6k (I can do 9.6k with my old cellphone and with the Treo I have GPRS).

Thanks,

Avigdor
    Is there some reason you can't just use a USB/Serial to Treo cable?
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by sgruby

Did you really read the documentation? <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmode...m#windows300ir>. There isn't one mention of 9.6k or 9600.
    Sheesh why so bit.chy Scotty? He said "implied" not "explicitly stated." Calm it down.
    I have a Sony Vaio PCG-SR27 - it does not have IRDA, Serial or Parallel ports - only USB and Firewire. Didn't think I would need any of those until now...
    It's pretty frustrating and incomprehensible why you can't use the USB cable to communicate - it works great for sync...
    I have a Sony Vaio PCG-SR27 - it does not have IRDA, Serial or Parallel ports - only USB and Firewire. Didn't think I would need any of those until now...
    It's pretty frustrating and incomprehensible why you can't use the USB cable to communicate - it works great for sync...
    Unfortunately no one that I have contacted has been able to develop a USB driver. Since I don't do Windows development, I must rely on others. If someone can develop the Windows USB driver, then you wouldn't need one of the other ports, but until someone does, the choices are quite limited.

Sorry.
    Scott, the frustration was not directed at you but rather at Handspring. You do what you can and that is great, the problem is that they did a nice job with Treo and its a pity that they left out such a crucial function (that is available virtually on any third rate cellphone).

Thanks, Avigdor.
    Scott, the frustration was not directed at you but rather at Handspring. You do what you can and that is great, the problem is that they did a nice job with Treo and its a pity that they left out such a crucial function (that is available virtually on any third rate cellphone).

Thanks, Avigdor.
    I completely agree; one of the requirements I had when getting the Treo was that I could hook it to my laptop if I need to. Handspring's argument is that the carrier's have to ask for the feature and they're requirements driven. I see no reason why the carriers (except for Sprint with their unlimited data) wouldn't want users hooking up their Treos to their laptops.
    I'm in the same boat - USB only with my laptop.

So I can either shell out,

$25 serial->usb
    $25 treo serial adapter

Or,

$50 USB->IR adapter

But I had a question - Treo support is only barely beginning to show in the linux kernel 2.5.5x - has anyone had any luck getting WM to work with 2.4.x via USB?

Your site only mentions Treo 180/270 with linux USB.

Unless someone knows some cheap places to get any of the above?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by ragweed
    I'm in the same boat - USB only with my laptop.

So I can either shell out,

$25 serial->usb
    $25 treo serial adapter

Or,

$50 USB->IR adapter

But I had a question - Treo support is only barely beginning to show in the linux kernel 2.5.5x - has anyone had any luck getting WM to work with 2.4.x via USB?

Your site only mentions Treo 180/270 with linux USB.

Unless someone knows some cheap places to get any of the above?

Thanks!
    Searching my website, yields a message on the WirelessModem users list that points to a Linux 2.4.20 patch <http://kalmia.hozed.org/~hozer/treo/>

If you're using Linux, then you can get it to work over USB and don't need any extra adapters. Unfortunately no one has been able to write a Windows USB driver, so the options for using WirelessModem with Windows are not cheap for those without USB. I really do wish there was a Windows USB driver, but there isn't.