1.    #1  
    Torn between a P800 and a Treo 270, I went for the Treo 270.

Not much of a multimedia guy, not even on my Nokia 9210.

What are my thoughts looking at it from a Nokia 9210 user perspective?

Nothing pulls my pants down anymore, the way the 9210 did.
    Physically, the form factor just wins over the 9210. But, of course, we all know that already. However, I kept my 9210 just in case things don't work out for the Treo.

Setup thoughts. Well, it looked like the 9210 was a smoother setup for me than the Treo 270. I had to download the latest version of the Palm desktop to fix that after reading the manual of course and going to the Handspring site.

I am still working on my connectivity to our corporate RAS, so I can get wireless emails and Internet. Not working yet.

I missed the bundled Office apps of the 9210. The Treo 270 only have a Memo pad. The Office apps suite of the 9210 is world-class. Considering the price of the Treo was close to the price of 9210, I felt it was a letdown. I still have to purchase an additional suite. I found out that Document-to-Go does not allow you to edit the MS files - Word and Excel, only view them :-(

I have to check if QuickOffice can do better.

I have downloaded the available other software from the Handspring site - some Games, RecoEcho, Palm Mail.

My goal in the next couple of days is to enable connectivity to our RAS for Email (IMAP4 and SMTP) and Internet. But there is no bundled email software that I have read that does IMAP4 for the Handspring bundle. The Nokia 9210 already supports that natively.

As a phone, I was surprised that the Treo keeps reloading the SIM list every time I access it whereas in the 9210 it was a breeze switching to the SIM. I decided to copy the top 50 to the Speed Dial. The Nokia 9210 Symbian allows me to create multiple databases of contacts. I haven't figure that out yet on the Palm OS. I miss that capability here.

I hope things get better down the road so I can maximise the use of this PDA/phone.
    What were you reasons for choosing the 270 over the P800? I expect the P800 to become available soon here in France as part of the "Change Mobile" program of SFR, for a price below 500 euros.

With all the rumors around a new Treo model I'm going back and forth between buying a 270, waiting for the P800, or waiting even longer for a new Treo.

I'm interested in your considerations.
  3.    #3  
    I didn't go for the P800 because I am not into multimedia very much - camera, MP3, and video. I didn't even maximise the multimedia features in my 9210. That alone won't sway me.

No applications that matter to me. I might just have to spend more dollars on QuickOffice, and some but it is available. I am a minister. And I got a call on my Treo asking about a Scripture. Guess what? I didn't reach for my Bible. I searched for it in the Treo! An officemater wasn't clear about the spelling of a word. I didn't pull out a dictionary from my table. I went to my Treo!

Everything is working fine for me.

1. I got connected to the Net finally using Blazer.
    2. I got connected to our corporate email using TapMail (IMAP).
    3. I got RecoEcho and am enjoying using the stylus more than the keyboard (What a revelation for me!)
    4. I finally got my Outlook contacts on the Treo. I created a SIM DB in my Outlook then synch that with the Treo to avoid bringing up the SIM book.
    5. Integration of Contacts with SMS works fine. (I haven't checked with TapMail yet).

I just need to learn how to deinstall/remove from my Treo some games (ooops, need to play to you know), that resets my unit, and learn how to write the code for punctuation symbols.

I discovered by myself that rather having a file manager, each application maintains their own list of files.

Attached is a pic of my Treo beside my Compaq Presario PC.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I also "upgraded" from a 9210 to a Treo 270. In fairness, the 9210 is a far superior unit in most respects. The software is lightyears beyond the Treo, the screen is infinitely better, and the third party software available under Symbian is also far far better than anything you can for PalmOS 3.x. PalmOS software is plentiful, but rudimentary compared to the Symbian equivalents. For example, commercial text/word processors on the Treo don't even compare with the built in office apps on the 9210.

But against all this is the form factor. The 9210 had me wandering around with everyone asking whether that bulge meant I was pleased to see them. For what I mainly use the Treo for -- phoning people, sending SMSes, and remote updating my webpage, it does the job in a much smaller package. I miss the bells and whistles I had on the 9210, but I can live without them.

Now the P800 is a great machine and much more a "successor" to the 9210, given that it has the same OS. I hate PalmOS and would switch tomorrow if the P800 had a keyboard. But it doesn't, so that's that.

I don't know where you're based, MOTG, but some of the 3G phones in the UK are starting to look a very attractive proposition. The more expensive NEC one looks VERY Treo-like.

www.three.co.uk
  5.    #5  
    Loccy, thought of it nearly the same way. If a year from now, Nokia does a much more compact communicator with more bundled software, with the keyboard, and touchscreen, that should be something.

And if Handspring by that time has already figured out well in advance the next generation, that would be another confusing day

And oh BTW, I am from Manila, Philippines.
    Hi there! I'm from the philippines too... Which church are you a minister of?
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ManofTrueGod

I still have to purchase an additional suite. I found out that Document-to-Go does not allow you to edit the MS files - Word and Excel, only view them :-(

The latest version of Documents-to-go can edit and view MS Word and Excel files. Try the demo of it at www.dataviz.com. It works pretty well.
    Jeff
    I must admit, the P800 is very tempting. The only thing holding me back is the missing keyboard we have all grown to love on the Treos.

I am very happy for now with my 270, but I certainly hope Handspring comes up with some nice upgrades for the next model.
  9.    #9  
    My original plan was wait for the SE P800 apps before making the purchase. It seems that it might take a while the likes of the QuickOffice and Documents-To-Go. Now that I have been used to the jotter and how easy it is to write documents with it, the keyboard is not such a major issue anymore.

But, I don't like the P800 Stylus. But the phone is definitely lovely.

Would I trade my Treo 270 with the P800? Not now. I am so much in love with it still.
  10.    #10  
    I just found out how effective is the stylus versus the keyboard on a Bible convention that I attended.

When I used the stylus, I was getting behind the speaker's discussion no matter how fast I write using the stylus. I decided to switch to the keyboard to catch up. I did. So, I decided to use the keyboard to keep in synch with my notes and the speaker's flow of thoughts. Glad I had a Treo 270 keyboard! Now I know better for heavy input

Imagine if I had bought the P800 and I just got overwhelmed! I would have resorted to manual ...
    In all fairness, I am not sure you can compare the Treo with the P800.
    The P800, very interesting device though, is a hip phone with PMS capabilities, while the Treo is a PDA with phone capabilities.
    They play in two different leagues.

We could compare Treo with the new Palm Tungsten W or any other Pockt PC device (such as the XDA or Siemens SX45), but certainly not with Sony Ericsson P800 or Nokia 7650.

Just a thought...
  12.    #12  
    Well, they are into the convergent zone.

The Nokia 9210 did it well except for its size and number of apps. The P800 as a communicator lacks for me the keyboard, and of course the bundled Office apps. That would have been my clincher.

The Treo lacks the strength that is Ericsson in phones.

Give it one more year or two, it will just make it more confusing to choose. But, at that time, I wonder if Handspring can still afford to fight by itself in the marketplace against the likes of Sony-Ericsson, Nokia, and Motorola.