1.    #1  
    If I want to receive short mail what is the address to give out?

Same for SMS.

Or is it the same? I understand the difference between the two, sort of...thanks.
    ###-###-####@messaging.sprintpcs.com (your phone number)
    Try sending yourself a message from your desktop email.
  3.    #3  
    tried it, and still no alert on the device. how long does it take anyway? Sent a message about 20 minutes ago.

Would I just use my number to send myself an SMS from the Treo?
    I have never tried to send myself an SMS from my own Treo ... not sure how that works. Try logging into the Sprint messaging website and sending yourself a message using just your number.

http://messaging.sprintpcs.com/sml/guestCompose.do

See if that works! If it does NOT then I would guess that their system is down (again). This happens frequently, as I am sure you have read here. But take heart! If there are messages queued up to you they will eventually get through!

I notice that for PCS mail, there is an option for "get external mail" which I assume is standard POP3. Is there a way to somehow configure this feature to retrieve mail from hotmail or yahoo servers without getting the premium services?
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    I notice that for PCS mail, there is an option for "get external mail" which I assume is standard POP3. Is there a way to somehow configure this feature to retrieve mail from hotmail or yahoo servers without getting the premium services?

Well I can tell you for certain that you cannot get yahoo mail without paying for their premium services. I did try that and got an error message every time.

Don't know about hotmail ... do a search of the forums and I am sure you will find out what you need to know.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    If I (or someone else) send an e-mail to [my number]@messaging.sprintpcs.com, I get a text message alert literally within a couple of seconds. If someone text messages my number directly (e.g. from another network), it might take 20 or 30 seconds.

I live in the Richmond, VA area. And I run TreoSMS.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by Llynx
    I have never tried to send myself an SMS from my own Treo ... not sure how that works. Try logging into the Sprint messaging website and sending yourself a message using just your number.

http://messaging.sprintpcs.com/sml/guestCompose.do

See if that works! If it does NOT then I would guess that their system is down (again). This happens frequently, as I am sure you have read here. But take heart! If there are messages queued up to you they will eventually get through!

I've tried that and it still doesn't work. It hasn't worked since I got this thing last Thursday. And I'm also using TreoSMS.

I've tried emailing from a client to mynumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com and that too never arrives on the Treo!

edit: called sprint. It's not a server issue in my area. But rather, for some reason, I don't have text messaging enabled on my account. Don't know how that happened since vision services do work and I can send and recieve emails and surf the web. Tech is writing up a trouble ticket and someone will call once the problem is resolved.
    Last edited by mo-bile; 02/17/2003 at 07:53 PM.
    Peice of advice, the only thing tech support is good for is to put you through to tier-2 tech support. It's a provioning problem. If you just got "Vision", your logins have gotten crossed (or some s**t like that. Three calls an 4 hours later I finally got to tier-2, ten minutes later he says it's fixed, 24 hours to update (later today). Should'a got his name and ask for him everytime!!!!
    One more thing... your email is actually

##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com (no dashes.)

At least, that's what mine is.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by Redbeard25
    One more thing... your email is actually

##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com (no dashes.)

At least, that's what mine is.
    as far as I know, and in practice, my email is username@sprintpcs.com

Shortmail is myphonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    I had a similar problem at first as well, in not being able to receive in all cases when sent to ##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com.

Researching it further I determined that I could sometimes receive - but ONLY if sent from a web-based source - i.e. yahoo mail, hotmail, etc.
    When sent via any smtp server , INCLUDING sprint's own, NOTHING got thru.

After demonstrating this repeatedly to Tier 2, they finally put a ticket in that completely explained this (and read it back to me before submitting).

Within a day everything was fine! So some setting for my id down in sprint's central office apparently was the culprit.