1.    #1  
    My 270 battery is already starting not to hold it's charge after just 9 months or so. According to Handspring's website the cost of them intalling a new one is $170 or so.

Does anyone know of a service where I can get this done independently?

Yes, I know it voids the warranty... thanks.
    You might consider buying a replacement battery of a different model of slim cell phone which is using same Characteristics.

I know that for instance Ericsson T28 is using apx same voltage level - so it might be suitable.

There are many types using apx. 5V - just find a small low priced one which seems to have a high current as possible...
    Originally posted by PeDaSp
    My 270 battery is already starting not to hold it's charge after just 9 months or so. According to Handspring's website the cost of them intalling a new one is $170 or so.

Does anyone know of a service where I can get this done independently?

Yes, I know it voids the warranty... thanks.
    Isn't that under some kind of warranty or replacement plan from either Handspring or your service provider?

I did find a neat site which has some hard to find batteries. I don't actually see one for the Treo 270 there, but you might ask. The Treo 300 uses a 3.7V 850mAh, so I presume the 270 does as well. The 1500mAh one they have for the Visor won't fit, it's going to be way too thick.

http://www.handspringbattery.com/