1.    #1  
    After much hemming and hawing, I finally picked up two new Treo 300's today (one for me, one for my wife) to replace our two Samsung i300's. The last week has been crazy as I've gone to several stores, spoken to Sprint reps over the phone, etc. all trying to get the best possible deal. The last time I spoke with the Sprint reps over the phone, their best offer to me was to give me $100 phone upgrade credit and a free month of service in exchange for signing on for another year (I'm currently month-to-month). However, they informed me that this offer was only if I kept my current phone line. IOW, if I picked up the Treos at a store that was offering a good deal on them for "new activations only" I wouldn't get this extra credit. So, I'd have to decide whether I wanted the best deal I could get at a store or whether I wanted a potentially worse deal but keep my same phone numbers. Personally, I could care less about keeping the same phone numbers as, for the most part, only my wife and I know the numbers. But, I told them to notate this offer in their system, hoping that I could somehow get a good deal through price matching at a store while still keeping my same phone numbers.

First stop was to go to a Best Buy store. Their current offer is $500 - $200 instant rebate (new activation only) - $50 Sprint rebate (I think this is new activation only as well). There's a local Circuit City store which is also selling the Treo for $300 - $50 Sprint rebate but they're not treating the price as if it's $500 - $200 instant rebate, they simply mark it as $300. So, I was hoping that BB would match the CC $300 price without binding it to a new activation. About 30 minutes later I left the store upset. First the guy wanted written proof of CC's price. Then he talked to the manager and agreed to call CC. Then he called CompUSA by mistake (who told him their price was $500). Then he called CC, got the $300 price, and said he would match it. Then his manager said he had to "double check" and called CC again. This time he said that CC's price was for new activations only as well, so he couldn't do anything for me. BTW, the reason I was trying to go through BB was because I have about $250 in store credit there. That was yesterday.

Today, I went to a Sprint store and tried to plead with them to match BB's $300 price but let me keep my existing line. What's the big deal, since I'm currently month-to-month and would sign another year contract. From my perspective, they probably would make out better this way anyway since I'd imagine it would be less work for them to switch my numbers to new phones rather than set me up with new numbers. Plus, I'd be ineligible (I think) for the $50 mail in rebates, so they'd make out better. But, no dice. They actually recommended I go buy the phones at Best Buy. The woman there was nice and seemed to be compassionate about the fact that it didn't make any sense, but said that her supervisor had no control to match the price.

So, then I went to Circuit City. Except this time I went to a CC which is, for some strange reason, selling the phone for $500. Why on earth this CC is selling it for a different price than the CC Express is selling it for, I don't know. But I went to this one intentionally. Why? My hope was that they would beat BB's $300 price, since they have a 110% price beating policy. First he had to call BB to confirm they had them in stock (this took forever). Then, it turned out that the BB he called only had one in stock so he had to check with his manager to see if they could beat the price on two phones (of course, I told him he could also just call another BB since there are three BB's within a 30 mile radius of me). In any case, the manager told him 'no problem.' So, I figured, OK, I'll have to live with getting two phones for $280 a piece minus the $50 ($100 total) mail-in rebates and new phone numbers (no big deal). End total would eventually be $230 each. He asked me about the three year extended warranty ($60 each) and I said it was too expensive and whether he could do better. I also said that I get an extra year of protection by using my AmEx. He said there was a minor discount (about $3 or $4 each) if I got the extended warranty on both, but that was the best he could do (I tend to doubt it). Still, I was feeling somewhat generous and got them. Then he shocked me. He rang me up and started to send me on my way without activating the phones. I said, "So, do I just activate them from home, then?" and he says "Yup." So, when I call up Sprint, I can treat it like I was upgrading my equipment and get the extra $100 discount and free month of service. I may as well try sending in the Sprint $50 rebates, too, just in case.

I must admit that I feel a little guilty about it all.

Scott
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Then he shocked me. He rang me up and started to send me on my way without activating the phones. I said, "So, do I just activate them from home, then?" and he says "Yup." So, when I call up Sprint, I can treat it like I was upgrading my equipment and get the extra $100 discount and free month of service. I may as well try sending in the Sprint $50 rebates, too, just in case.

I must admit that I feel a little guilty about it all.

Scott
    Something similar happened to me. The store matched BB's price but let me leave without activating. I think the sales guy did not know how to activate with Sprint.
  3.    #3  
    It gets even more interesting...I called to switch the numbers over to the new phones and she asked me if I wanted to sign a one-year contract or pay an extra $10/month. I had thought that I had to sign the one-year contract to get the $100 phone upgrade credit and free month of service, but I guess not. I wasn't sure which way to go so I opted for the extra $10/month without having to commit to another year, but I'm still not 100% sure. I may call back later to find out if the $10 surcharge is dropped after a year or if it lasts "forever." That would probably make the difference. But this would allow me to sell one or both Treos on eBay before a year is up if/when something newer and better comes along.

What would you guys do?

Scott
    I would sign up for a year and save the $10. When you use your Treos you will love them and want to stay for the year (if you don't get a lemon...a distinct possibility). Besides, the cancellation fee is $150...and that isn't too much more than a year of extra $10/month that you would have to pay in order to remain untethered to SPCS (which extends forever...as long as you are month-to-month.)

Also, consider buying the replacement plan for $60. You might start having "intermittent problems" with your Treos if and when the next "gotta have" SPCS phone comes out, and you could apply the full price of the Treo toward the new phone.
    Originally posted by scrinch
    Also, consider buying the replacement plan for $60. You might start having "intermittent problems" with your Treos if and when the next "gotta have" SPCS phone comes out, and you could apply the full price of the Treo toward the new phone.
    Can you really do that (apply the full price of your current phone towards the purchase of a new one)? I did not see that in BB or CC's replacement plan.
    Originally posted by Sprinter
    Can you really do that (apply the full price of your current phone towards the purchase of a new one)? I did not see that in BB or CC's replacement plan.
    CC better as the lady who sold me on the 3yr $60 plan said that she used the plan to upgrade to a different phone altogether when her old phone started "dropping calls".
    David
    My contract with T-Mobile was expiring and the GPRS plan sucked when compared to unlimited Vision.
    Signed a new contract with Sprint (BB does not activate Sprint - the end user does) and traded my Treo 180 + $16 for a 300

All I saw it as was a great deal for me.
    Scott!

Congrats on your new Treos! I've only had mine for a 3 days now, and I'm already addicted to to it! ALso regaring the BB replacement plan, when I purchased the Treo, the BB sales rep told me out right off that if I purchased the plan, it would enable me to upgarade to a new smartphone and all I had to do was make up some problem! i dunno, if they if this is true or not, but I just read a long thread on pockepc passion complaining about the BB replacement plan. might go back and cancel it if it is indeed misleading...
  9.    #9  
    Well, the reason I'm thinking of sticking with the $10 surcharge is because I'm pretty sure they're just hitting me with one $10 surcharge. Plus, my company gets a 15% discount on monthly service, so I think I'd really only be paying about $8.50 extra for both phones.

As far as the extended warranty is concerned. I had that with my Samsung i300's (through Best Buy) but I couldn't bring myself to make up a problem, as I didn't think that seemed right. Of course, as my post above shows, I wasn't above complaining to Sprint and trekking all over town to nickel and dime various stores to try to get the best deal on the Treos.

Scott