1.    #1  
    I will be traveling all over the country. I want the treo 300, but i'm concerned its not a duo mode or tri mode phone. Also will I find many places in the country will i won't be able to call because of the inability to handle analog?
    thanks Bill
    In general, the Treo 300 will only work in cities and nearby areas. Rural areas - not a prayer.
    as long as you stay in major cities you should not have a problem. My friend went from Texas to CA Then CA to New York with a tp 1100 which is only digital and he had hardly any problems
  4.    #4  
    Sprint has an off network option now. Will that help? they say they use whatever towers are available.

But how often would those towers be digital?
    I've had no problem using my Spring Treo 300 all over the U.S. From major cities, to the cornfields of rural Iowa. Plus, I understand that Sprint PCS customers can roam on non-Sprint-PCS networks. Specifically, PCS operated by other carriers.

I would think that this should cover most anywhere in the country where people may want to go. No?
    The Treo300 will only work on 1900 MHz CDMA networks. It only has that radio. That means it won't roam onto most of Verizon's network (only on Verizon's relatively small 1900 MHz CDMA network) when Sprint's network is not available. It also means it won't roam onto any analog network (no analog radio in the phone at all).

What I've done is that I've activated my old Sprint PCS dual mode phone (since I'm on the $85/mo plan, I get one other phone on my plan for free). When I know I'm going someplace that won't have Sprint PCS coverage, I bring the other phone with me, and it roams onto the other carriers' (including Verizon's) analog service. In the last eight months, that's only been twice...once out in the middle of the California desert (Edwards AFB), and up at Mammoth Mountain ski resort (although Sprint does have coverage in Vail!).

For what all that's worth....
  7.    #7  
    This is all really great information. thanks Bill
    sbcrair

I'm trying to do the same with my Sprint phone ---- so activiting a 2nd phone is that easy?? I've paid for the roaming option on my Treo, but it never roams (and of course, your reply answers that question)

is it $10 a month for a second phone? thanks!
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    I'm not sure what the current plans are, but as long as you are on one of the high-end plans, I'm sure you can get another phone added on for a pittance. Besides, with number portability coming on in a couple of months, as long as you're willing to do a one or two year contract, Sprint is willing to bargain. Just threaten to go to Verizon if they don't allow you to add a second phone for free. (BTW, it will be a totally separate number...you can't put two phones on one number).
    Originally posted by HasanDaddy
    sbcrair

I'm trying to do the same with my Sprint phone ---- so activiting a 2nd phone is that easy?? I've paid for the roaming option on my Treo, but it never roams (and of course, your reply answers that question)

Add-A-Phones are available for plans of 500 minutes or more. So if you have the 300 minute plan, you can't get one. You also have to have a certain credit rating to be eligible. They can tell that when you call to ask for the second line.

If you're eligble, each Add-A-Phone is $20 a month unless you have a 2000 minute or more plan, then it's only $10 a month.
    Originally posted by HasanDaddy
    you're thinking about cingular, the carrier with the singularly most boring phones on the planet plus they have begun to limit the rollover minutes to roll over just for a year.
    David
    another $20 for another phone with a different #

hmmm......

This is dissapointing --- I bought the roaming feature ($10 a month) so that I could get reception in my apartment --- all of my Cingular, TMobile, Verizon friends, etc, all of them get reception there, except me (even ATT!)

I was hoping the Roaming would fix this -- however, I didn't realize it would only roam on CMDA networks --- will the Treo 600 be like this? or will it roam on regular networks too?

Is there a number that I can call Sprint at to complain about this? I know I'm sounding fickle, but I live in a dead-zone of Pasadena, that has ZERO coverage, yet it is within the heart of Pasadena
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    I don't think you have much to complain about with Sprint. You paid for roaming, but didn't check to see if you could roam where you wanted to. I'm sure there are other 1900 MHz CDMA carriers in parts of the US where you could roam. The Treo 300 [is] capable of roaming.

As far as the 600 goes, it will be able to roam on 800MHz CDMA networks, such as much of Verizon's. Since there's not such thing as a "regular" network (CDMA is the most common in the US), I will assume you mean legacy analog networks. The answer to that is "no."

Geoffrey