1.    #1  
    One of the most useful features of the Treo for me is the ability to receive and send emails while on the go. I'm out of office a lot and still need to be contactable by email.

My requirements are probably a bit unusual, but rather simple:
    • IMAP. I use IMAP since years because I use notebooks, offfice PC, home PC, etc.
    • Many mails. I backup emails that are older than a year, but I still have about 5,600 mails in my In folders. That is after spam filtering.

That's it!

TreoMail:
    On my Treo, I'm using TreoMail 1.5 since two months. They have a great three-month evaluation program. I've been rather happy with, but I still decided to look for alternatives. First, the advantages:
    • The interface is plain yet clean. It supports Jog Dial operation: You can scroll down and up to the next message, a push opens it, you can scroll the message text, another push closes the message. Works great for closed-lid operation.
    • The synchronization with the server is quick, it takes about 30 seconds in my case. You can setup when to synchronize very flexibly. For example, I've chosen to synchronize every hour every day (you can exclude weekends) from 08.00 to 22.00 (that's about my work day, *sigh*). I have TreoTools installed to disconnect from the GSM network at 0.00 and reconnect at 08.00. TreoMail connects to GPRS then.
    • Notification can be be customized, and it can be turned to vibrate in silent mode.
    • Basic server side filtering can be activated through TreoMail's web application. This is quite rudimentary, so I'd expect that this will be extended in future versions. I use it to prevent messages from a certain mail account being routed to the Treo.
    • Inline link support. If there is a HTTP URL in a message body, you can click it and it takes you to Blazer.
    • Inline phone number support. Click on a phone number in the message body and the Treo will dial it. That's what I call a smartphone!

All of this has led me to use TreoMail for two months. Now the disadvantages:
    • POP3. TreoMail works only with POP3 servers. My mail server supports that as well, so at least I'm served - but I'm not happy. For example, POP3 doesn't allow to synchronize read/unread status for messages. It doesn't allow to synchronize deletions. It's a major inconvenience for me to have to mark messages as read even if I read them already on my office PC. Basically, nobody wants to use POP3 in 2003.
    • No attachments. All attachments are stripped at the TreoMail server and you get only the message body. Sometimes it would be nice to have a quick look at an attached DOC or PDF file.
    • TreoMail uses a server between your Treo and your mail server. I'm working in the IT industry. I know that there are geeks out there at the TreoMail development center reading random mails. I don't like the idea of them reading my mail. Plus, one more system, one more possible point of failure.
    • Did I mention POP3 sucks?

So, one Sunday I started my quest for other email programs for the Treo. Uh. Monday morning I returned to TreoMail. But here are the details.

The first I tried was IambicMail. Funny name, loads of features, I thought. Combining SMS and email in one app, now that is what I call a very smart phone.
    Do you know how many SMS messages you have on your Treo? I don't, but I receive about 5 five messages from telco operators everytime I cross a border. And hey, memory galore so I don't even bother to delete them. Probably there are about 200 border-cross-messages and 200 other messages. Too many for IambicMail, it seems: Startup of the application takes about 45 seconds, changing a view takes 30 seconds, opening a SMS 20, closing it 40 seconds.
    Thank you, next in line please.

2bAnywhere. Sexy looks! Nice feature set! And it's free (while in beta)? Gotta try.
    This one worked and I had it installed for two days.
    Advantages:
    • The look.
    • Supports IMAP (see below).
    • Had auto-text. You know those boiler-text templates, just like in the SMS applications. Haven't used them in the SMS application neither, but I like the idea of being able to save time by using an auto-text.
    • Has better filtering support than TreoMail.
    • Synchronization is quick (takes about 30 seconds in my case).
    • You can configure it to download only the message headers.
    • Support attachments.
    • It works.

Disadvantages:
    • Supports IMAP, but still uses a server in-between. This was not clear to me from the description on the website. So Big Brother+point of failure paranoia applies here as well.
    • Still no synchronization of read/unread.
    • Apparently no way to change the notification sound (it's an annoying double beep).
    • Before synchronization, a message appears: "Synching in 6....5...4...3...2...1 seconds). Yeah, right. Come on, this is email checking, not a rocket launch.
    • Jog Dial support is not intuitive to me. Using Jog scroll in the message list (Inbox) scrolls down one page, not just one message. This makes closed-lid operation possible only for one message

So, for now I'm back to TreoMail. The request part of this post is of course: Do you know a better email client for my needs?

-Tobias
    I love SnapperMail and have seen that IMAP will be coming soon, I can't wait as I'm a Lotus Domino/Notes user and will be happy to have my Notes and Personal mail all in one place. It's a short beta, but I fell in love.
    I'd have to agree with the last poster. SnapperMail with IMAP would be the way to go (you might contact them and ask if you can beta-test it)...
    Originally posted by tobiasr

<snip>

So, for now I'm back to TreoMail. The request part of this post is of course: Do you know a better email client for my needs?

-Tobias
    Check out what has become the definitive thread on the e-mail topic here.
    Originally posted by mblank
    I'd have to agree with the last poster. SnapperMail with IMAP would be the way to go (you might contact them and ask if you can beta-test it)...
    It is my understanding that IMAP support for Snappermail is a ways out and it is unclear if it will be RFC-compliant in its initial release. Do you have other information?
    No, I was just referring to what had been said earlier about SnapperMail and IMAP. I suppose somebody should just ask them for a rough ETA...

- m
    Originally posted by mblank
    No, I was just referring to what had been said earlier about SnapperMail and IMAP. I suppose somebody should just ask them for a rough ETA...

- m
    Yea, that was tried a couple of times on their Yahoo forum. So far they have only said (I think, I may be mistaken) that it would be release 1.9 and they are at 1.5 now. Who knows when that may be.

Edit: Will Lau posted that IMAP will be in 2.0 and they are planning on doing a .1 release every month so, they are at 1.5 now...figure 6 months.
    Last edited by Maniac8888; 02/10/2003 at 07:12 PM.