1.    #1  
    Hi,

Has anybody tried Chapura KeyContacts with their Treo 300? Any feedback/issues?

I like that it supports more fields, more categories, longer category names, etc... but am concerned about problems beaming to/from Palm devices without KeyContacts.

I'd appreciate any feedback. I searched the message board but did not find anything.
    Sprinter,

I have been using KeyContacts and Treo 300 for about 6 months. I absolutely love it. KeyContacts recent updates have really helped. KeyContacts uses the Jog Dialer to dial. You have to touch very few buttons to dial a phone number.

Having the extra fields to contact information is wonderful. I use my address book at least 10 times a day. KeyContacts integration into the Treo 300 is easy.

I also use Agendus for my date book and to do list. Agendus's address book is lousy compared to KeyContacts. With some help of some fellow Treo Central members, I was able to get Treo Address book, KeyContacts, Agendus, and Outlook to work seamlessly together.

The only thing to tell you is that when installing KeyContacts, at the very end of installation you will be asked something to the effect, "KeyContacts detects the presence of another Contact program conduit. Do you want KeyContacts to shut down the conduit?" Say No! This allows KeyContact to be integrated into the onboard address book and to be used by the Treo 300 phonebook dialer.

I am hesitant to buy software. KeyContacts is worth every penny.

Please contact me if you have anymore questions.

Russell
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Fender Doc
    Sprinter,

I have been using KeyContacts and Treo 300 for about 6 months. I absolutely love it. KeyContacts recent updates have really helped. KeyContacts uses the Jog Dialer to dial. You have to touch very few buttons to dial a phone number.

Having the extra fields to contact information is wonderful. I use my address book at least 10 times a day. KeyContacts integration into the Treo 300 is easy.

I also use Agendus for my date book and to do list. Agendus's address book is lousy compared to KeyContacts. With some help of some fellow Treo Central members, I was able to get Treo Address book, KeyContacts, Agendus, and Outlook to work seamlessly together.

The only thing to tell you is that when installing KeyContacts, at the very end of installation you will be asked something to the effect, "KeyContacts detects the presence of another Contact program conduit. Do you want KeyContacts to shut down the conduit?" Say No! This allows KeyContact to be integrated into the onboard address book and to be used by the Treo 300 phonebook dialer.

I am hesitant to buy software. KeyContacts is worth every penny.

Russell
    I do have some questions (I have not even tried it out yet):

1. Will the phone dialer still use the standard address book (Contacts) or will it be able to refer to KeyContacts address book? How do you set it up to know which address book to use?

2. Euroda Mail currently gets e-mail addresses from the PhoneBook. Will it be able to use KeyContacts intead?

3. Since KeyContacts supports more fields, categories, longer category names, etc. will that be a problem when I beam to a user without KeyContacts?

I basically want KeyContacts to totally and seamlessly replace the built-in PhoneBook. How realistic is that? Are there programs that won't work the way I want them to and still use PhoneBook entries?

Thanks.

P.S. -- I should try it soon but I've already spent too much time setting it up (need to get back to work!!).
    Sprinter,

I hope can answer most of your questions.

1. Will the phone dialer still use the standard address book (Contacts) or will it be able to refer to KeyContacts address book? How do you set it up to know which address book to use?

As long as you say "No" during installation to "Do you want
    Key Contact to turn off other conduits" [or something like
    this]; you should have no difficulties with using the information
    from KeyContacts in other programs. BTW, you will need to
    HotSync twice for this to work. The reason for this is; if you
    put something into KeyContacts -> it gets HotSync'd to
    Outlook [or whatever you are using] -> during the 2nd
    HotSync, the information will update to the Treo Address book,
    Agendus, etc. This works wherever you enter the
    information. I have individually entered new contacts into
    Agendus, KeyContacts, and Outlook. After 2 HotSyncs, the
    information was updated to all the programs. This is not a big
    deal for me because I HotSync at least 2-3 times a day. I am
    an update junkie.

2. Euroda Mail currently gets e-mail addresses from the PhoneBook. Will it be able to use KeyContacts intead?

I have not used Enroda Mail, but I am sure it will work as
    described above.

3. Since KeyContacts supports more fields, categories, longer category names, etc. will that be a problem when I beam to a user without KeyContacts?

I believe that if you beam to a non-KeyContact user, just the
    normal fields will be seen by the receiving user. Interestingly,
    if a non-KeyContacts user beams you something, your device
    will ask you if you want it to go into the "Address book or
    KeyContacts?" Regardless of where you put it, after 2
    HotSyncs, everything will be updated in all programs.

I basically want KeyContacts to totally and seamlessly replace the built-in PhoneBook. How realistic is that?

KeyContacts does exactly this.

Are there programs that won't work the way I want them to and still use PhoneBook entries?

I have not had a program that will not use KeyContacts
    entries.

Since I discovered that saying "No" during installation to "Do you want Key Contact to turn off other conduits"; I have had absolutley no problems with any programs. New and updated e-mail addresses are seen in PhoneBook, KeyContacts, Outlook, Agendus, TreoMail, and Treo300SMS

One very nice feature is being able to put a contact into more than one category. You will have to enter the catergories into the PDA's KeyContacts. After doing this, KeyContact and Outlook easily notice the updates as long as the spelling is the same on both the PDA and computer.

I hope these have answered your questions.

Russell
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Palm IIIx -> Sprint Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 600 -> Verizon Treo 700P -> Verizon Motorola Moto Q 9m
    Jabra JX10 -> Motorola HS-850 -> Aliph Jawbone

Arizona Criminal Attorney |
    Arizona DUI Attorney
  6.    #6  
    russelb:
    Are you and Fender Doc (Russell) the same person (same first name...)?

In your post you said:

"I have set KeyContacts to Synchronize, and I have set Contacts to Outlook overwrites Handheld."
    So this results in the following transfers/updates:

KeyContacts <--> Outlook
    Outlook --> Contacts

Does it happen in that order, in one Hotsync session? If yes then maybe that does the same as what Fender Doc (Russell) has to go through with 2 Hotsync's, except you found a way to do it in 1 Hotsync?

"I use KeyContacts w/ my Treo 300, but I also have to use regular Contacts or I won't have my phone numbers in my dialer. "
    So are you saying the dialer actually uses data from regular Contacts and not KeyContacts?

Thanks.

P.S. -- I understand that this would be clearer to me if I actually try it out. Maybe later in the week when I have time.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    No Fender Doc and I are not the same guy. The problem with doing a synchronize of both KeyContacts and Contacts is that if you have data fields specific to Outlook, such as home and business addresses or birthdays, you can lose one of the addresses, the birthday, and any other Outlook specific fields that are supported by KeyContacts but not by Contacts. When you set up your hotsync so that KeyContacts and Outlook synchronize, but Outlook overwrites Contacts you are protecting the data in your Outlook specific fields, but getting all of the data duplicated in Contacts.

For Example:

New record in KeyContacts
    Hotsync
    Record added to Outlook
    Hotsync again
    Record added to Contacts

Most of us probably enter our contacts directly into Outlook. This symplifies the process.

New record in Outlook
    Hotsync
    Record added to Contacts
    Record added to KeyContacts

The only problem is if you enter the record into Contacts because it will not send the information to Outlook. The solution: don't enter new contacts or changes into Contacts, but only into Outlook or KeyContacts.

I hope this illustrates how this works. You will need to Hotsync twice under certain situations because I believe that Contacts synchronizes before KeyContacts.

Also note, I synchronize to two computers, one at home and one at work, so I am more susceptibe to Contacts messing up my Outlook data then in just a single computer situation.
    Last edited by russelb; 02/11/2003 at 10:42 PM.
    Palm IIIx -> Sprint Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 600 -> Verizon Treo 700P -> Verizon Motorola Moto Q 9m

Arizona DUI Attorney
  8.    #8  
    Thanks to both of you. Now I understand better.

One thing still not clear to me... why do we even care about the standard Contacts if we're using KeyContacts? I was hoping that I would not even have to deal with Contacts anymore...
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    We care because of Caller ID and dialing functions are tied to Contacts. You can dial from KeyContacts, but it will not show Caller ID from KeyContacts.

Arizona DUI Attorney
    russellb and Sprinter

Greetings. One additional note on a problem that I had to overcome is that I use Agendus from Iambic (formerly know as Action Names). I have to do the settings for the 2 HotSyncs scenario we have described in this string of post. This is so all the programs having address books communicate; Agendus, KeyContacts, PhoneBook, and Outlook.

russellb, I am not sure the setting for the one HotSync scenerio you described would work for me (I think I tried it and it did not work - not sure though). This is only because Agendus is in the mix. I like your description of settings - much better than mine. I wish I could do the one HotSync settings, but Agendus is so useful to me.

A curious note about Caller ID. Depending on where I have entered a Contact (KeyContacts, Agendus, Outlook, etc.), the Caller ID may or may not show up. Interestingly, even if the name did not show up in Caller ID (although being in the address book - somewhere), the name will be listed in the phone log.

Russell (Fender Doc)
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by Fender Doc
    russellb and Sprinter

Greetings. One additional note on a problem that I had to overcome is that I use Agendus from Iambic (formerly know as Action Names). I have to do the settings for the 2 HotSyncs scenario we have described in this string of post. This is so all the programs having address books communicate; Agendus, KeyContacts, PhoneBook, and Outlook.

russellb, I am not sure the setting for the one HotSync scenerio you described would work for me (I think I tried it and it did not work - not sure though). This is only because Agendus is in the mix. I like your description of settings - much better than mine. I wish I could do the one HotSync settings, but Agendus is so useful to me.

A curious note about Caller ID. Depending on where I have entered a Contact (KeyContacts, Agendus, Outlook, etc.), the Caller ID may or may not show up. Interestingly, even if the name did not show up in Caller ID (although being in the address book - somewhere), the name will be listed in the phone log.

Russell (Fender Doc)
    Fender Doc,

I'll try KeyContacts soon. But I wonder... what do you like about Agendus so much? I have not looked into it yet. I typically prefer to avoid too many changes to my Palm software. I saw that Agendus also has a contacts database. So why deal with KeyContacts, Contacts (built-in), and Agendus? Curious...

Thanks.
    Sprinter,

Why Agendus? Good question.

I am a surgical resident (who happens to collect Fender guitars - hence the name Fender Doc). Anyway; my datebook, address book, and to do list are very valuable to me. Agendus (aka: Action Names when I first started using it) offered me all of these in one program - very cool! It also supports color and has icon features also. You can even design your own icons. Last Fall, Iambic released a Desktop version of Agendus. Basically, it is a nice, graphic version of Outlook mixed with Agendus Palm (without the Inbox).

The one shortcoming of Agendus (as well as the built-in Contacts) is the lack of fields and categories for my Contacts. KeyContacts offered me this. With some help with Treo Central friends, I am now able to get all my Contacts in all my programs.

Please contact me if you have any other questions.

Russell
  13.    #13  
    Hi Fender Doc,

I don't use my datebook much (except for appointment reminders -- dentist, etc) so maybe Agendus isn't worth it to me? Apparently you prefer KeyContacts over Agendus' contacts feature... so that leaves the Agendus to do list and datebook enhancements as the reasons you like to use it.

My to-do list is rather simple, and I can organize it with HandyShopper (more structured).

Cheers,

Sprinter (not because I run)
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    How can make Key Contacts bring the same categories as I have set up in Outlook.
    To have the same Key Contacts and Outlook, you have to enter the same category in Key Contacts as Outlook. Make sure the spelling and letter case are the same. Key Contact and Outlook will recognize the entries.

It would be nice if Key Contacts could automatically update the categories when it is installed.

Feel free to contact me if you ahve anymore questions.

Russell
  16.    #16  
    Hi again Fender Doc,

I didn't know that Outlook + KeyContacts supports folders under one's Contacts. Are the categories distinct for each folder, or are they part of a master list of categories?

How will contacts under folders get synched to the standard Contacts database? For example if I have a folder named Work then categories Customer1, Customer2, etc. Will entries under Work be filed with a category 'Work' or 'Customer1', etc?

I'm trying to figure out how the advanced features supported by Outlook + KeyContact would affect the standard address book (i.e., when I HotSync or beam to a Palm device without KeyContacts).

Thanks again for your feedback. You seem to be one of the more knowledgeable KeyContact users here.