I just got off the phone with my local Circuit City and they told me that their price for the Treo 300 is $299. When I asked if this was a sale price he said "yes." When I asked when it was good until, he guessed till this Saturday. I was in that store this past Saturday and noticed the Treo 300 tagged at $299 (new activation price), but did not see any expiration date on the tag. At that time, the sales person guessed that the price was probably only good through that day. As many of you know, Best Buy has extended last week's deal through this week so that, as with CC, their price is $299 (minus $50 Sprint rebate in both stores).

So, I'm starting to wonder if this might be the first step towards an official permanent price reduction. I'm thinking that it may be starting out as an "unofficial" word from Handspring to CC and Best Buy that it's "OK" to advertise them lower.

If this is the case, then I'm hoping that the price out the door may get even better soon once Amazon gets it and adds (hopefully) a bigger discount of their own and/or Sprint ups their mail-in rebate from $50 to something bigger.

Or, maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. Thoughts?

Scott