1.    #1  
    I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was regarding this? I heard so many rumors regarding HS iminant release of a new model sometime in March/April, that I was wondering whether it would be wiser to wait till then or just get the Treo 300 now? Any thoughts?
    I haven't heard anything about a new CDMA Treo...only a new GSM version. Last year the CDMA version followed the GSM version by 4-5 months. I wouldn't wait. Go to Best Buy and buy one for $250.
    if you would buy one now, based on what is out on the market today, I'd say go for it. in other words, you like it better than the Kyocera, and perhaps the Samdung I330, then there is nothing else on the horizon that would turn you on in the near term.

Handspring is probably more than six months away, and then it will probably be GSM first.

The FCC is a good indicator of what may be cool on the horizon. It shows nothing too intere
    ting in the next five months.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks guys for the responses. I basically want a QERWTY keypad, PalmOS and Sprint's Vision service. That basically cancels out the 7135, i500, i330, T|W and Hitachi PPC cdma phone. I would change my mind if the 7135 were to be offered for Sprint as rumored on other sites, but I dont' know if this is true? Anyone know if there is any merit to that rumor? I've been drooling over the Treo 300 for ever so long now, but I really don't want to purchase it if HS comes out with a new model soon. Thanks again...
    gfunk, I had assumed you already had one of these. I'm in the same boat as you. I went as far as going to a Circuit City and Sprint store (same mall, a few stores apart) on Saturday to see if I could convince them to give me an even better deal (CC had the phone for the same price as BB, even though they didn't advertise this in their flyer). I ended up waiting.

If I could do an even trade for my Samsung i300 and not have to sign a contract, I'd definitely do it. But the thought of a new and improved version coming out soon makes me nervous. The other device that has my attention is the upcoming Sony TG50. For those that don't know, this is a Bluetooth Palm OS device (no phone) with a thumbboard. Of course it has a memory stick and I'm sure it's color and 320x320. We don't know yet what it will cost, whether it is OS4 or OS5, and when it will be out. It could be a nice device to pair up with the free T68i Sony Bluetooth phone. Of course, I'd have to go with either AT&T or T-Mobile, neither of which have an unlimited data plan.

I'm also a little bit tempted by the upcoming Hitachi PPC device. Again, don't know when it will be out or what it will cost. I prefer the Palm OS over the PPC OS and the built-in thumbboard doesn't work as well in the sense that the device becomes very long and, I'm sure, quite top heavy which could make it uncomfortable to type on (this is all thanks to PPC's non-square screen format).

Bottom line is that I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm hoping more details about the upcoming Sony leak out soon. It's also possible that a replacement for the Tungsten T may be coming out (they dropped the price by $100 and my local Staples ad said "while supplies last."). If they come out with a version of the TT with a thumbboard instead of Graffiti panel hidden below the collapsible section, that would be very cool.

To add another variable into the mix, supposedly a Bluetooth Sprint phone will be coming out. Again, who knows when, how much it will cost, or even if we'll be allowed to get unlimited data on it for the $10/month deal.

At this point, I'm thinking of making another call to Sprint to see if they can offer me some sort of extra discount for upgrading my phones. If not, I may end up getting CC to beat the current BB deal (bringing it down to $280 - $50 rebate) or even just getting it at BB (I have about a $250 store credit there). So, unless news of any new devices comes out, I may end up with two new Treo 300's (one for the wife) by the end of this week. Or, maybe I'll keep hemming and hawing.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    The other device that intrigues me is the Danger Hiptop. But, the problems for me are:

1) I don't think I can go back to B&W.
    2) I don't think I can get a signal in my house (FWIW, I can't get a signal for my i300 either, but some folks here said that after switching from the i300 to the Treo 300, they were able to pick up a signal where they previously couldn't).
    3) No Outlook syncing.
    4) More controlled environment. SDK isn't public yet, and it may end up looking similar to the current MS Smartphone environment where developers have to go through the carrier to release the apps).

Scott
    Originally posted by Scott R
    The other device that intrigues me is the Danger Hiptop. But, the problems for me are:

1) I don't think I can go back to B&W.
    2) I don't think I can get a signal in my house (FWIW, I can't get a signal for my i300 either, but some folks here said that after switching from the i300 to the Treo 300, they were able to pick up a signal where they previously couldn't).
    3) No Outlook syncing.
    4) More controlled environment. SDK isn't public yet, and it may end up looking similar to the current MS Smartphone environment where developers have to go through the carrier to release the apps).

Scott
    I have the sidekick and am getting rid of it for the Treo 300.

It's buggy, alerts sometimes do not alert you to incoming calls, voice mails, emails, etc...scan the Danger.com forums and you'll see many, many unhappy users. The sdk is mia. The promised os update to fix the numerous bugs has been delayed over and over again. And the latest word is Q2.

Combine that with crappy tmobile service and I've had it.
    Originally posted by mo-bile

I have the sidekick and am getting rid of it for the Treo 300.

It's buggy, alerts sometimes do not alert you to incoming calls, voice mails, emails, etc...scan the Danger.com forums and you'll see many, many unhappy users. The sdk is mia. The promised os update to fix the numerous bugs has been delayed over and over again. And the latest word is Q2.

Combine that with crappy tmobile service and I've had it.
    Yeah, I meant to put "Problems" as #5. I've been monitoring dangerinfo.com for some time and have seen numerous complaints about QC as well as a lot of people upset about various bugs and the delayed promised patch. Definitely worth looking at again in 6 months. By then they should have a color version, other carriers, an SDK, and have worked out most of the kinks. But I agree that right now, I'd choose a Treo 300 over it.

Scott
    I tried sending you a copy of the receipt twice but it came back with an error message saying you are over your allotted space.
    Originally posted by CAMillion
    I tried sending you a copy of the receipt twice but it came back with an error message saying you are over your allotted space.
    My account here is linked to my Hotmail account. I do need to clean up my inbox a bit, but I'm only at 63% full. I think that Hotmail has a limit to the size of attachments, though.

I'll send you an email with an alternative address. Thanks,

Scott
  11.    #11  
    Well, I just went to Best Buy and bought the Treo 300 finally! YIPEEEE!! Anyway I got a pretty good deal. They were offering $200 instant rebate and $50 mail in rebate for the Treo off the listed price of $499. But the instant rebate was only for new activations which wouldn't apply to me since I aready have a Sprint acct. Well anyway, I called #2 and threatend to cancel if they didn't give be the instant rebate and THEY AGGREED! WHOA!. So I paid the full price and they credited $200 towards my next monthly bill, so now I only have to mail in the $50 rebate. I also bought the Best Buy replacement waurantee for $70 bucks? Was that a mistake. I figured when Sprint does eventually come out with a new Treo later this year (hopefully), I'll just go and complain about the sound or something and upgrade to the new smartphone at no additional cost. The coverage is for 3 years so hopefully I will be able to upgrade at least 3-4 time! Also, if HS does go under I can always just get another pda-phone.

OH!! one more thing, the Sprint Rep I was dealing with told me that Sprint definitely will be carrying the Kyocera 7135, most probably by this fall!!! He was adamant about it so I have no reason to doubt him. Up until now I was under the impression that Sprint will not carry the 7135, but now this appears to be not the case!! Thats good new b/c if this Treo doesn't work out, I'll just get the 7135 instead!! Any thoughts?

P.S. Also, I going to activate the Treo later today. Does anyone have any specific adivse of what NOT to do so I can hopefully avoid any problems in the process? I don't want to make any mistakes that will give Sprint the opportunity to screw me over!! Thanks....
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Well, I just went to Best Buy and bought the Treo 300 finally! YIPEEEE!! Anyway I got a pretty good deal. They were offering $200 instant rebate and $50 mail in rebate for the Treo off the listed price of $499. But the instant rebate was only for new activations which wouldn't apply to me since I aready have a Sprint acct. Well anyway, I called #2 and threatend to cancel if they didn't give be the instant rebate and THEY AGGREED! WHOA!. So I paid the full price and they credited $200 towards my next monthly bill, so now I only have to mail in the $50 rebate. I also bought the Best Buy replacement waurantee for $70 bucks? Was that a mistake. I figured when Sprint does eventually come out with a new Treo later this year (hopefully), I'll just go and complain about the sound or something and upgrade to the new smartphone at no additional cost. The coverage is for 3 years so hopefully I will be able to upgrade at least 3-4 time! Also, if HS does go under I can always just get another pda-phone.

OH!! one more thing, the Sprint Rep I was dealing with told me that Sprint definitely will be carrying the Kyocera 7135, most probably by this fall!!! He was adamant about it so I have no reason to doubt him. Up until now I was under the impression that Sprint will not carry the 7135, but now this appears to be not the case!! Thats good new b/c if this Treo doesn't work out, I'll just get the 7135 instead!! Any thoughts?

P.S. Also, I going to activate the Treo later today. Does anyone have any specific adivse of what NOT to do so I can hopefully avoid any problems in the process? I don't want to make any mistakes that will give Sprint the opportunity to screw me over!! Thanks....
    BTW, if you change your phone via the SprintPCS.com web page and your current plan does not have Vision as an option, you will be forced to sign up for a new plan. That was my situation since my plan was from waaaay back in 1997/98. I'm not sure if signing up for the new plan requires a new contract. That's the case if you call Sprint PCS and want to change your plan -- I was told that you'll be agreeing to a new 1-yr contract with them.

Anyway, instead of activating online I called customer service and was told that they could add unlimited Vision for $10 even though my original plan was really old. They called it "grandfathering" Vision, and some reps are not too familiar with it.

Probably most of you won't have to deal with this situation. Maybe I'm one of the few that never had the need to change their original plan (I signed up 12/1997).
    gfunk, You got an excellent deal on an excellent device. For $250 it's a gift from heaven. Congrats!
  14.    #14  
    Thanks gjuys for the adivse.

Sprinter,

Since I already was on the $85, 2000 minute plan, I will not have to sign a new contract. Thank GAWD! I just recently just finished my last contract, so I wasn't much interested in signing a new one.

Also, has anyone had experience with Best Buy's replacement warauntee plan? How difficult is it to replace a mobile? What kind of defects can you claim with out them getting suspicious? How often can you upgrade a mobile before complications arise? Thanks in advance to the replies...
    There is always a newer, better, faster, sleeker model on the horizon. But waiting is rarely worth it.
    Originally posted by msetzer
    There is always a newer, better, faster, sleeker model on the horizon. But waiting is rarely worth it.
    And you also risk the hassles of dealing with a first generation device like I and many others are with the sidekick.
    MicroCenter has them at $100 off. That's the best deal I've found for current Sprint customers. New subscribers get an extra $50.

Also, a friend tells me that Sprint will give current customers an "equipment credit"; ask the cancellations dept.