1.    #1  
    Hi,

What is not backed up by Hotsync on a Treo 300? I read somewhere that speed dial settings are not backed up. Is that true? Will I really lose them after a hard reset then Hotsync?

I've had a Palm V since late 1999 and never had a problem reloading my apps + data with simple Hotsynch + Chapura Pocket Mirror with Outlook 97.

Is there really a point to BackupBuddy and other similar utils? I read in this message board that some apps do not have the backup bit set. What are some popular apps like this?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by Sprinter
    Hi,

What is not backed up by Hotsync on a Treo 300? I read somewhere that speed dial settings are not backed up. Is that true? Will I really lose them after a hard reset then Hotsync?

I've had a Palm V since late 1999 and never had a problem reloading my apps + data with simple Hotsynch + Chapura Pocket Mirror with Outlook 97.

Is there really a point to BackupBuddy and other similar utils? I read in this message board that some apps do not have the backup bit set. What are some popular apps like this?

Thanks.
    I'm not sure what is backed up and what isn't but if you're considering "backup buddy" try "syncall" instead. IT'S FREE and it definitely backed up everything. It's definitely worth it to use it. Without it a hard reset definitely doesn't backup everything...
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I remember the web clipping libraries didn't have it, and perhaps Treo Picture Caller ID...

If you go to notifymail.com, they have a freeware utility (DB Util)that you can selectively set or unset the bit for all apps. I UNSET the bit for things like Blazer and Avantgo cache, since that stuff is disposablea anyway...

If you want your TREO to restore EXACTLY as it appeared before a hard reset, look into getting a utility.
    Yes, PhoneCallDB backs up your calls in and out list, and PhoneDialDB stores your speed dial settings. I tested this out by reinstalling 1 file at a time to figure out what some other DB files do. Still dont know exactly what PsysluanchDB and LauncherDB does. Anyone know?
    Yes it will back up your speed dial buttons! I know, I have had to do it a couple of times after having to do a hard reset.
    The System conduit is responsible for backing up files to the folder <username>\backup. All the key files on your Treo ssuch as SMS history, speed dials, call history, saved preferences (like your registry on Windows) are backed up via the system conduit.

The reason that some files do not come back after a hard reset is because the developer chose not to turn on the backup bit attribute of the file. The backup bit is a file attribute that you can turn on or off on any file within your Treo if you have the right tool. My file manager of choice is the old and trusted zCatalog available on http://www.eblong.com/zarf/zcatalog.html aka ZarfCatalog. If you flip the bit on a given file to Backup it will be copied to your backup folder next time you HotSync. This is essentially what Backup Buddy does - it manages the bit flipping for you. Dont flip too many as you may end up with long HotSyncs for files that you dont really need copies of. It is much more time efficient to keep backup copies of stuff you install on your hard disk and simply re-install them when you need em.