1.    #1  
    Phone: Treo270 / Cingular

DataMgr.c,Line:8589, Index out of range

This happens (avg) about once a month, requiring a complete rebuild of the phone software, over and over. I have done this about 8 times since I have owned the phone. Valuable data is always lost and its a major hassle resetting licenses for Palm software. Has this been happening to any of you ? The phone works perfectly fine for months, then out of the blue, wham ! No new software install or other event has triggered it.

The support guys in Canada just tell me to reinstall everything. That is not an acceptable solution. Handspring management has been sent the evidence two weeks ago, still no response.

Any ideas or comments
    What 3rd party software do you have running on your 270? There must be one of them that's causing you the grief.
    I've never had this kind of issue and I don't think many others are either.
    Check out the list of errors codes at HS support and maybe your answer can be found there:

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...e_handheld.jsp
    You wouldn't happen to be running AIM on the unit are you? If you are... remove it. I have never found a version that was stable.
    I got this message this morning. Only added piece of software was Java and the Hillcast/Midcast streaming data (yesterday). The message appeared after a soft reset from a lockup - IRDA with Wireless Modem App.

Unfortunately my hard reset and reinstall has not solved the problem. The fatal error message occurs when it starts up - even the reset option is not accessible.

AIM has been on the system for about a month without this problem.

Any chance the GPRS firmware upgrade can cause (or fix) this?
    Very unlikely. I'd suggest doing the whole hard-reset routine, eliminating programs/databases a few at a time until you find the offender.

- m
    Been doing the hard reset and eliminating programs. Problem still occurs having removed yesterday's additions (Java/Midcast). Going back further requires deleting programs from a month ago - seem hardly likely suspects.

I did notice this in the log:
    Installed file: C:\Program Files\Handspring\UPDATE\V3.52\upd352H1_5.prc

Any chance this is suspect?
    remove aim... i give you a 75% chance that this will solve all your problems! Try it! You can always put it back on if I'm wrong. (But I bet I'm not). AIM will sit happily on your PDA for a few months and then cause just these problems.
    jaytee:

Amazing. Removing the AIM did the trick. Thanks. Sure wish I did that first rather than removing many of the other "suspect apps".
    hmmm ... i believe i mentioned removing AIM back in my comment of 2/18...
    please, what is AIM ??
    AIM = AOL Instant Messenger
    For me, the culprit seems to be KBTracker .. utility to track data usage ..
    kbtracker was a problem for me too. It took a while to isolate it, but it really is not a good thing.

-D
    Ackk! KBtracker has just been removed from my Treo. I can't say that I was definitly getting hangs because of it, but why chance it. (Besides, T-Mobile now has data useage online!)

Was KBTracker giving the error noted in the heading? DataMgr.c, Line 8589, Index out of range. Did it require a hard reset to escape?
    If so, it's definitely a nasty one and unneeded. (Besdie the fact that the number was always about 200% of the usage that T-Mobile would quote me).
    Originally posted by jaytee
    Ackk! KBtracker has just been removed from my Treo. I can't say that I was definitly getting hangs because of it, but why chance it. (Besides, T-Mobile now has data useage online!)

how did you remove it?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    i dragged it to the waste basket (LauncherX), but using the delete application function in the main launcher window should work just dandy too.
    Originally posted by Felipe

how did you remove it?
    You need to make sure that you disable it first.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    it was disabled, but still would not delete.

i re-enabled, then disabled again. then i was able to delete it.
    Felipe
    For general Palm OS file stuff I use 'filez' that can be found on palmgear.com.

You can delete anything with that.

Derek
    Originally posted by computerfixitguy
    For general Palm OS file stuff I use 'filez' that can be found on palmgear.com.

You can delete anything with that.

Derek
    Derek,

How is your Shoulder? :-)

I have Filez already, and have used it, but wasn't sure it would delete all associated files. So, I hesitated using it.
    Felipe